Hurst cable shifter in a 67console car? - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2001 General Tech questions from 2001
Replies ONLY, no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 17th, 01, 03:28 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

has anyone installed a hurst or similar shifter in a 67/8 Automatic console car, I want to try to retain the "size" of the hole for the console, (I dont want to cut anything) however the crappy shifter that is in the car now sucks. I never installed one in a 1st gen, I know they make them for the 2nd gens that fit fine. I was thinking like a B&M megashifter or somthing similar?

any help would be appreciated.

------------------
Chris's 67 RS 327,can be seen at http://www.67rs.com
check out another site once in a while! http://www.fbodyconnection.com

[This message has been edited by Chris Edwards (edited 12-17-2001).]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 17th, 01, 03:45 PM
Senior Tech

Send a message via AIM to CamaroNOTcamero
the hurst quarter stick may work, you'll want to talk to the tech guys at summit or jegs. Dont waste your time on a Megashifter, you'll be searching for gears instead of shifting, so i've heard. You may have good luck with a Lokar shifter and boot, you can get them in pretty short sizes.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 17th, 01, 07:24 PM
Senior Tech
Rob

Talking

I just saw a bit on the SEMA show in LV on Hot Rod TV and they talked to Lokar and they were showing their new automatic shifter that fits the 67/68 Camaro. I intend to call them sometime this week to find out more. I want to be able to re-install all of the console pieces around it. My stock shifter is so loose it's not even funny!

------------------
Rob Rice
[email protected]
http://members.home.com/racrrob/camaro.htm

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 17th, 01, 08:52 PM
Senior Tech
Tom

Smile

Racing - a tech from Sweden has a 68 with an aftermarket shifter installed. (I've see a picture) I think he can be reached at:

DVC-98.Racing
482 cubes of fogger injected thunder in a 71 z.
[email protected]

------------------
69 Camaro Z28 "clone" - 327 AT
"461" camel back heads,
edelbrock, hooker, ultradyne,
TRW etc.
700R4 TPI transmission

[This message has been edited by TJS69 (edited 12-17-2001).]
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 18th, 01, 04:23 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

the Lokar shifters look cheasy, but if it works , that may be my choice, I will check out the 1/4stick though.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 18th, 01, 05:54 AM
Senior Tech

I have the Hurst Quarter-stik in my 67 with the console using the 4-speed shifter plate.
I didn't have to modify anything, but it sticks through the hole farther than I wanted. It looks O.K. & works great, except the reverse lock-out can be trouble if you need to back up in a hurry. Definatly a two handed opperation. I just bought an original 67 shifter on ebay, so if your interested in the Hurst shifter, let me know.
Brichead
[email protected]
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 19th, 01, 10:52 AM
Senior Tech
Jeoffery J

Thumbs up

chris i just put the hurst quarter stick I in my 69. make sure if you order one that you get the forward exit cable. it will fit inside the consol. although the reverse lever sits a tiny bit low.
i can get a picture of it if you want.
jeoff.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 20th, 01, 03:07 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

the quarterstick will work then . I take it it comes with the "plate" for the boot area and fits ok or do I have to "make my own" console plate... if anyone has some installation pictures that would be groovy, you can email me @ [email protected]

thanks everyone for all the help!!!

------------------
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 21st, 01, 08:53 AM

I put a megashifter in my 67 with a console, I did lots of modifacation work, but I think it turns out really good looking. Here is a pic:

Dan

------------------
67 Pro-touring Camaro-327, 9:1 Comp XE268 Cam, Perf. RPM Intake. 750 Holley, Sportsman II Heads, Ceramic coated headers, 700R4 trans, 17" wheels, 12" disc brakes, custom stereo, black with white stripes, cowl ind. hood.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 21st, 01, 04:41 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

I think that looks great. I guess I too would have to do a $hitload of stuff to make it fit , the shifter looks smaller than the stock width of the console.. looks like you made a plastic cover for it. very nice. thank you for the pic.

------------------
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 23rd, 01, 07:35 AM

Yeah, I had TAP Plastics make mee the piece for the console, then just had to do some cutting and final modification to make it fit right. It was so tight that the console had to be pried over the shifter with a thin bladed putty knife, so that suck isn't going anywhere. Believe it or not, it actually looks a lot better in person than it does in that picture. Both my dad and myself have been told my lots of people at shows that you can't fit a mega shifter in a 67 console without butchering the whole console. Now we bring this to shows and prove them all wrong. I hope you decide to do the install, it really looks great!

------------------
67 Pro-touring Camaro-327, 9:1 Comp XE268 Cam, Perf. RPM Intake. 750 Holley, Sportsman II Heads, Ceramic coated headers, 700R4 trans, 17" wheels, 12" disc brakes, custom stereo, black with white stripes, cowl ind. hood.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode