how to fix gas tank leak? - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2001 General Tech questions from 2001
Replies ONLY, no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old Dec 19th, 01, 07:49 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

I have a leak in the gas tank. There is a small dent where it has cracked. The tank is off the car. How would I go about repairing this. Maybe use JB weld, or actually weld it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old Dec 19th, 01, 08:03 PM
Senior Tech
Dave

Best way to fix it is replace it, they arent that expensive
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old Dec 20th, 01, 01:17 AM
Senior Tech

A lot of radiator shops also clean out gas tanks. They knock a hole in it and dump it into a vat. The hole is to be able to drain all of the solvent/crud/gas out when finished cleaning. Then they pull it out drain it and solder up the hole just like soldering a radiator. They could do the same to yours and also solder up the place it is leaking. Unfortunate thing is this usually costs about $75 or a little more. The smartest thing is to do like Mr.C said and buy a new tank. I don't think J.B. will hold it!

[This message has been edited by Bedanobub (edited 12-20-2001).]

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old Dec 20th, 01, 02:10 AM
Senior Tech

Send a message via AIM to Spames
I bought a new gas tank, and when the yoke sheared off my rear end, A piece bounced down, came back up, and dented/cracked my new tank. A buddy of mine used some sort of putty that they use to plug 55 gallon drums of hazardous materials with. I'll probably replace the tank AGAIN someday, but this stuff should hold it for a while.

------------------
68 Coupe, 350 4-speed
Jim's Camaro Corner
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old Dec 20th, 01, 03:01 AM
Senior Tech

a little permatex and a sheet metal screw always work in a pinch

------------------
Chris's 67 RS 327,can be seen at http://www.67rs.com
check out another site once in a while! http://www.fbodyconnection.com
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old Dec 20th, 01, 05:33 AM
Senior Tech

Lightbulb

I realize that you will probably replace the tank, but in an emergency you can use a piece of soap, if the hole isn't too big. Just cut a small piece off and push in the hole. Hope it works out!
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old Dec 20th, 01, 06:32 AM
Senior Tech

I know this is common sense but I think it needs to be said. If you decide to weld the tank yourself, please be certain that in addition to draining the tank completely of gas, that you flush it out at least two times with clear water before you attempt to weld on it. In addition, I would not even attempt to weld in the same vicinity as where you flushed the tank out. After you have flushed the tank, give it at least an hour or so outside where any lingering fumes or vapors can evaporate. You would be surprised how little gas it takes to make a big explosion. No need to injure your body or your car further eh? Good luck.

------------------
1969 Camaro SS 350-383ci./365HP, T-56, 12 bolt, Power Trax Locker, 3.73 gears, 4 whl disc, Deluxe black houndstooth interior, rear window defogger, tilt steering, floor console w/gauge package, center mntd. clock, tachometer
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old Dec 20th, 01, 06:33 AM
Senior Tech

My tank leaked around the filler neck. I used some of the epoxy gas tank leak fix stuff from Pep Boys as a temporary fix. However, it's never leaked again and I haven't felt the need to buy a new tank. One day I will but at least I can pick my time.

One other note since no one else addressed it: it is extremely dangerous to weld on a used gas tank. The only reasonable way to do it is to have it boiled out first or cleaned and flooded with argon gas or soemthing similar. I wouldn't try it at all at home - the risk is too great. Either have a pro do it or buy a new tank.

------------------
Scott
'69 400SB, Richmond 5-speed
www.geocities.com/sdenning1
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old Dec 20th, 01, 08:06 AM
Senior Tech

I'd replace the tank
but, if i could not and needed to weld it...
totally fill with water to displace vapor, drain and repeat, repeat a bunch of times.

then put a couple pieces of dry ice in the tank, it turns into carbon dioxide...

anyone done anything with dry ice??
John
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old Dec 20th, 01, 08:11 AM
Senior Tech
Carl

Back in my college days I had a similar experience with a driveshaft yoke except that it was laying in the middle of the freeway. Nowhere to go, so I had to run over it. It put a big-*** hole in the front of the tank. Being on a student budget, I used a piece of steel from a lawn edger blade and a big helping of JB weld. It worked for three years as a daily driver and sat with no leaks for another three.

------------------
The Red Beast http://www.geocities.com/casanoc
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old Dec 20th, 01, 01:25 PM
Senior Tech

When I was younger and braver (DUMBER) I welded them. Drained all the gas out, rinsed several times with water, then filled all the way to the hole with soapy water. It worked but I would NOT do it now that I am no longer "brave"!
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old Dec 20th, 01, 03:00 PM
Senior Tech

Electric soldering iron and 60/40 acid core solder. Or have a radiator shop soldier it
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old Dec 22nd, 01, 06:05 AM
Senior Tech
Nick

years ago, I fixed a hole in a gas tank with JB Weld as a temporary fix till I could get a new tank, well its been about ten years and still no leeks.

------------------
69 Z/28 X77 D80 83000 original miles,DZ 302, M-21, BU 373 Rear End, ZL-2 Ducted Hood, Daytona Yellow, Black Deluxe, Tilt, Factory AM/FM, Console Gauges.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old Dec 22nd, 01, 09:40 AM
Senior Tech
frank

I disagree with GO69's reply 150%!!! You never weld on an empty gas tank no matter how many times you flush it with water or anything else. The fumes and gasoline vapors linger for months and its the vapors that may explode and seriously harm you. Do yourself a favor and LEAVE IT TO AN EXPERT!
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old Dec 22nd, 01, 12:36 PM
Senior Tech

if you nock a small hole in a corner, completely submerge it in a cleaning solution then drain and flush with water, then there is no danger in having an explosion! The small hole is so you can completely drain all the solution/water out of the tank. Then all you have to do is solder the holes. There is no need to weld anything! The solder is more than enough to hold a gas tank leak. It would be easier though to have a radiator shop fix it than at home. Let them blow up instead of you! Just kidding.......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode