opinions for a 68 - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2001 General Tech questions from 2001
Replies ONLY, no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Dec 23rd, 01, 03:15 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

I have been working on my 68 camaro. Standard camaro w/ 350cid and ac. I just got through rebuilding a new subframe and front end parts including disc brake and Hotkis front springs. I used the poly grafite bushings and coated everything w/ por15. I was getting ready to clean the firewall and under the car and coat it w/ por 15 along w/ the rearend and related parts. I have already known I was going to have to replace the grill and related parts, rad support, pass. wheelwell, driver door, all door hindges, driver side floor pan, recover all the seats, headliner, dash, do a motor rebuild and get another trans. I have already put alot of money into the subframe I was redoing and found out tonight that both quarters and rocker panels have been replaced. My delima (sp) now is do I want to put alot more money into this car and have a daily driver or gut it and make a drag car out of it, and find another better camaro to make a daily driver out of. Also the weather stripping is gone and all the crome needs replaced. Any opinions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Shane
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Dec 23rd, 01, 03:39 PM
Senior Tech

I am just finishing up my 69. I started with just a body, but it was a good body. I have had to buy everything for it. It has cost a lot, but it has turned out very nice, and I have done it all myself in my garage. I dont know how bad you want a drag car, but I say find you a good body, or even a more complete car, put your new sub frame under it, and build you a nice driver. If you start to worry about the costs, you wont be able to enjoy it as much. Of course if you build it to sell, then you have to be more careful with the money part. Whatever you decide to do, have fun!
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Dec 23rd, 01, 04:29 PM
Senior Tech

It depends on if they did a good job putting in the new quarter panels, if so then who cares, i would rather have new panels than old rusty ones. If they are good then it shouldn't really affect anything, if there is a lot of bondo and bad body work then race car it is.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Dec 23rd, 01, 04:52 PM
Senior Tech
John

It would depend. There is nothing wrong with new quarters as long as they're installed corectly. (btw, are they full or half quarters?). What kind of replacement rockers? Are they just the "skins"? If they are, I would remove them and check the rockers for extensive rust. If it looks like the workmanship on the body was not up to par, you may be money ahead by finding a better body shell.

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Dec 24th, 01, 03:47 AM
Senior Tech

Cool

Sweems, I know what your going through... I have a 67 that was in similar shape and I decided to go Prostreet with it! It still has the potential to look great, but mine didn't have enough of the original parts to put it back into stock shape. It may be a consideration for you and that way you have the best of both worlds. Racer on Sunday's and Prostreet on cruise night!

Good luck

------------------
1967 Prostreet Camaro
BBC TH 400 w/4,500 stall 4:56 gears,narrowed and tubbed... Well almost
http://www.visionworks-usa.com/camaro
Newest addition to the family

http://www.visionworks-usa.com/69camaro
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Dec 24th, 01, 04:07 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

They were full quarters and the workman ship wasn't done very well. Up to this point I just thought the paint was cracking but it was were they tied the quarters together. I beleive that the rockers are full replacement and not just skins.

Shane
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode