1969 302 - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2001 General Tech questions from 2001
Replies ONLY, no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old Dec 27th, 01, 02:45 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

I decided to build a 302 for my newest 67 project. I'm using a small journal 283 crank and 327 block. I found a forged crank already and was calling everybody I know to locate a 327 block. Last night I talked to a guy that said he had a block (1965 vintage). We got to talking and I told him what I was doing. He said he knew where there was a complete 69/302 for $150 dollars. I wanted to to use the small journal crank for less rotating weight and I don't care about it being orginal. Anyway I called the guy that has the 302 and he said it came out of a 69 that he junked. The motor is complete from carb to oil pan. I'm stopping by there on Sunday to take a look at it. My question is: If it's a real 69 302. Should I try to find a buyer for it that will use it in a resturation or use it as a block and crank donor? Also what are the numbers on the block. I have bought motors from the first guy I talked to before and he was always right on the money when it came to running the numbers before, so I believe that it is going to be what he says it is. I'll find out sunday. I'm a big believer in building the car the way you want to and I have never built a numbers matching car or a concurs car but I do enjoy going to shows and seeing them. Should I get it and sell it or use the block and crank. Being a 69 wouldn't it be a large journal? I would rather use a small journal and build my hot street motor that will be mostly aftermarket anyway. Any Ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old Dec 27th, 01, 03:24 AM
Senior Tech
Jeff

Look for the DZ stamped on the front pad on the passenger side. If it's a complete DZ 302 motor, you should definitely consider using it for your project. Chevy built that motor to run all day in the 7000 rpm range so you know it's one of the strongest revving motors they made. If you buy it and decide to sell it, post the information on this site and there will be plenty of guys looking for specific parts depending on the dates. Heck, I still would like to get an 1178 crank, the rods and pistons for my 302, but I'm in no hurry and $$$ is tight right now.

------------------
Jeff H - 93 Indy 500 Pace Car(supercharged) & driven daily, Hugger Orange 69 Z28 with JL8 brakes, cross-ram & GM fiberglass hood, TI setup, heater and radio delete, being restored
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old Dec 27th, 01, 05:47 AM
Senior Tech
Gary

depends on what you want. If it were me, and it's a real DZ motor, I'd either save it,look for a real Z with missing/incorrect motor, and restore it. Or I'd sell the motor to someone looking for a replacement motor in their real Z.

In my opinion, a 67 with a real 69 DZ motor is not worth much more than a 67 with a destroked 327.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old Dec 27th, 01, 07:56 AM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
I've seen complete DZ engines (needing a rebuild) go for as much as $5K before. I'll split the $150 with you and we can both make some money offering it up for half that!!

------------------
...Dennis
"The '69, the '96 & the club"
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old Dec 27th, 01, 08:11 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

I'm not worried about the value of my 67. It's tubed with a 9" anyway I decided to build a 302 with nos and it's just going to be a street terror/strip car. I'll let you know what's up with the motor on sunday.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old Dec 28th, 01, 01:11 PM
Tech Team

unless this guy has been in a coma for a few years, someone must have heard him wrong. if it were on the bottom of the ocean floor for the last couple of years it might be only worth 150.00.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old Dec 28th, 01, 01:50 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

The guy that has it is in jail. His father is selling it,and to his dad it's just a old motor. I'm checking it out on Sat. instead of Sun. I'll let everybody know what's up with it
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old Dec 28th, 01, 02:40 PM
Senior Tech

Send a message via AIM to CamaroNOTcamero
whats he in jail for? he might come looking for the buyer in 20! (j/k)
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old Dec 28th, 01, 05:04 PM
Senior Tech

If after you check it out and it is a real DZ engine and you see a vin stamped,Please give us guys that have real Z's missing the engines a chance to see if it might belong to one of them.I would think this would only be right, as I would do this.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old Dec 28th, 01, 06:37 PM
mwh
Senior Tech
Marc

I agree tracyracy. I keep a glimmer of hope that somewhere out there my DZ block is still alive and kicking and hasn't been turned into 10,000 ashtrays or something equally horrible.
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old Dec 29th, 01, 06:57 AM
Senior Tech

Wink

Tracyrecey,MWH-I wholeheartedly agree!!!!!I keep looking for #614635 everywhere I go!!!I once spoke to one of the previous owners of my car who claims he was the one who "popped" the DZ motor,but he was a jerk and could offer no information as to what became of the motor.I'm still looking!!

------------------
HDZ/28
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old Dec 30th, 01, 02:06 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

well I should have went over yesterday like I wanted to. I got there today and it was being loaded up as I pulled in. Someone else got it. I asked him If I could take a look at it. The block was stamped with the DZ and I didn't get the rest of the numbers. For a quick look over at night it looked to be all original. I offered to buy it from the guy for $354 dollars(all I had) but he said NO. He said he was putting it up on E-bay . After talking to the original owner that pulled the motor he said that there was only about 30,000 mile on the motor. It looked pretty clean. The new owner talked him down to $75 and took the motor. Naturally I had to tell the previous owner what it was worth. Well anybody looking for a 302 should check E-bay in the next couple of weeks. On a side note I got my block and crank for my small journal 302 build up. Sorry guys that I didn't get there sooner
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old Dec 30th, 01, 03:42 PM
mwh
Senior Tech
Marc

$75... Wow! It'll be interesting to see what happens to it on Ebay.

TracyRacy, Peter, maybe we need to start a support group... "Z's without DZ's". I would bet there are a lot of us. =)

I know my #689364 is out there somewhere.

-Marc
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old Dec 30th, 01, 04:07 PM
Senior Tech

Send a message via AIM to CamaroNOTcamero
sorry to hear that blown67, i can see you have my luck .
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old Dec 31st, 01, 04:34 AM
Senior Tech
Brian

Now we know what his father was in jail for.
Selling drugs to his son!
What planet has this guy been on for the last ten years to sell any 30,000 mile motor for 75 dollars.
The new owner must have been one cool customer to talk the guy down to 75 dollars with a straight face.

------------------
Only 69 Z/28s
Garnet Red 30,000 mi
Glacier Blue
Rally Green new in 69
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode