sylvania cool blue headlights (non camaro) - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2001 General Tech questions from 2001
Replies ONLY, no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 28th, 01, 04:13 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Send a message via AIM to Spames
Has anyone tried the sylvania cool blue headlights in their other vehicle? My woman has a 95 Neon, and the original headlights SUCK! I'm looking for something a lot brighter.

Thanks!

------------------
68 Coupe, 350 4-speed
Jim's Camaro Corner
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 28th, 01, 05:01 AM
Senior Tech
Brian Cooper

I have them on my 57, and I like them.

------------------
57 Plymouth Savoy in my family since new, just cosmetically restored, 93 S-10 waiting on the 80 Dodge Lil' red Express clone truck to be built then one s_10 for sale, Angie's mechanic and designated Vette cusser.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 28th, 01, 07:52 AM
Tech Team

I put them in my 99 1 ton dodge and hate them. Save you money

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 28th, 01, 08:11 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Bruno

IMHO, I think the reflection from any light bulb is proportionally dependant to the head lamp assembly it is used on. An H-4 (55-60watts) element will make a great lightning pattern if it is installed, let say, in a PIAA assembly and thats the reason different people get different results from the same bulb/element. Some cars come from the factory with poorly design head lamp assy's cause their priority in the design procedure was looks, not efficiency. Take a look at a lot of newer cars or SUVs, they need some assistance on the bumpers or spoilers to get the job done right.

------------------
Our affair with Camaros is a live sentence without the possibility of parole. www.geocities.com/c68ss http://home.coqui.net/borench
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 28th, 01, 08:32 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Well, that makes sense to me, so are you saying that if they are bad now, upgrading/replacing bulbs won't make it better?

------------------
68 Coupe, 350 4-speed
Jim's Camaro Corner
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 28th, 01, 09:00 AM
Senior Tech
Bret

I installed some in my 92 Caprice wagon about two years ago and they made a big difference-I kept checking to see if my brights were on for the first week. One just burned out yesterday and I'm going back for more.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 28th, 01, 09:36 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Looks like people either love it or hate it. I guess I'll have to go for my gut feeling, and give it a try. Hopefully it will help out the poor lighting for this NEON. I'll let everyone know how they work out.

Thanks everybody
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 28th, 01, 10:13 AM
Senior Tech

there was a pair of them in my 94 caprice when i got it last summmer. i thought my headlights were really dirty or something until i noticed they were blue. i went to Wal-Mart and got the regular bulbs for it, and it was a hell of a lot brighter. i still have them stupid blue bulbs in the glove box, for whatever reason. and i really hate it when i encounter spomeone else with them- they are too damn bright, and the blue color coming at me is really annoying. in case you haven't noticed, i really hate them things...

------------------
1971 Nova(looks like 69 camaro from underneath!)
355sb, vortec heads, HOT cam,T-10 tranny, 3.70 gears 16" IROC wheels
see pics here http://community.webshots.com/user/novaderrik
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 28th, 01, 11:07 AM
Senior Tech
Mark

Make sure you check the wattage. The bulbs you get from Wally World are the same wattage as the regular bulbs and probably won't make any difference. Check out J.C. Whitney, they have higher watt bulbs for a decent price.

Our Dodge Caravan had worthless headlights also (must be a Dodge thing). The higher watt bulbs made a big improvement. Get the white kind. Forget those blue things.

They say the high watt bulbs will melt the plastic socket, but that hasn't been the case with anyone I know that has used them. They also sell relays to use with them if you want to go that route.

Mark

[This message has been edited by mbrekke (edited 12-28-2001).]
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 28th, 01, 12:50 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Bruno

Mark, you're right when you mention the relay option with the wattage increasement. The relay improvement, together with the correct wiring gauge and fuse, will make it a safe upgrade.

------------------
Our affair with Camaros is a live sentence without the possibility of parole. www.geocities.com/c68ss http://home.coqui.net/borench
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 30th, 01, 01:22 PM
Senior Tech

Take it from a guy who sells 100's of them a week get the hyper-whites they are extreamly bright, the cool blue just give a slightly blue tint and are just a shade brighter than stock. If you don't mind paying the big bucks you can get a H.I.D style light that doesn't ues a filiment theyuse a high intensity arc to create the light necessary. They run around $800 but are supposed to last for ever. You can find all these products and more at Auto Zone.

------------------
69 Camaro RS, 355ci, 71 gm heads 74cc 1.72in 1.50ex,mild cam, Preformer rpm intake, edelbrock 600 carb, 350 turbo w/ shift kit 2500 stall, 12 bolt 4.56 posi..
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 2nd, 02, 03:38 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Well, I got them before the last couple of posts, and I was pretty happy with it. They are probably about 20% brighter, but I still had to aim them up a little bit. For an extra 10 bucks (as opposed to regular ones) it seems to be worth it.

BTW-- They aren't very blue, but that's what I was hoping for.

[This message has been edited by Spames (edited 01-02-2002).]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode