Changing from Z28 trim to SS trim on a 69 ? - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2001 General Tech questions from 2001
Replies ONLY, no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Dec 28th, 01, 02:46 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

My 69 is a X55 D80 car but when I bought it it was a Z28 clone I would like to switch back to all the SS emblems and trim.What all will this entail? The hugger orange with black Z stipe paint is very nice so I wont change that.But im not sure what all it should have on it. It has a black (not painted black)grill,chrome rocker trim,drip edge molding and 1/4 louvers. Also its a 10D build date could it have came with the cowl hood and if so would the 350 emblems be on the hood like the 302 thats on it now? (I'm hoping to not have any holes left over)Thanks Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Dec 28th, 01, 03:13 PM
Senior Tech
Freddie

When I got my '69 X22 RS/SS396 someone had done the same thing to it. I changes it back to a SS. The Z-28 and 350 emblem on the front fender don't share the same holes, so you will have to fill some of them. There should be some holes under the Camaro script on the fender behind the front wheel where the SS goes. They may still be there and you just need to poke them out. The Z-28 and SS emblem on the rear do share the same holes, so that will not be a problem. The cowl induction hood was optional, but not standard on the SS. The Z-28 was the only '69 Camaro that had the cubic inches displayed on the hood, other than the Yenco. No 350 or any other had the numbers on the hood. The stripes over the hood and deck lid are also not SS. The SS had the hockey stick stripe on the side. I don't know why people want to change a SS into a Z-28. I prefer the SS myself.

------------------
'69 RS/SS396 pro street
427/4spd/9"
Byars Performance
High Performance Drive Train Parts And Service
www.lubedealer.com/biggearhead
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Dec 29th, 01, 07:40 AM
SY1
Senior Tech
Dave

Mike
A 10D build date would not have had a cowl hood offered that early in production. I believe it wasn't offered until late in December and very few cars actually got them, compared to what you see today, everybody has one. I prefer the SS hood with the grilles in them, but not with the stripes running through them that just doesn't look right to me. Only Camaro to have the emblems on the hood were the Yenkos and 302 cars. No the 350 emblem is a different style and size. The 302 hood emblems were kind of a unique size, not like the fender emblems. Your black molded grill is correct for your SS, no Z28s ever came with a black grill except for rally sport cars, but you see a lot of bogus cars with Z28 emblems and grilles painted black. You are right the SS grill is molded black not painted. Your tail panel emblems will interchange using the same holes. Sounds like you have a nice SS, I agree with your decision to keep it an SS.
Dave

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Dec 29th, 01, 08:31 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Thanks for the replies so fast.So the grill is correct I would change the Z/28 emblem to center of grill SS emblem 350's on fenders where Z/emblems are now, SS emblems below camaro emblems on fenders and change rear panel to SS (using same holes)that will leave me with holes to fill in hood and fenders then? Mike
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Dec 29th, 01, 04:15 PM
Senior Tech
Jeff

If it's a 10D car with X55, then it's a late 69 car, not a late 68. The X codes didn't appear until late Nov early Dec 68. Your car must be an Oct 69 car so the cowl hood would be available as an option at that point in the year. Might as well leave it on the car and just fill the 302 holes.

------------------
Jeff H - 93 Indy 500 Pace Car(supercharged) & driven daily, Hugger Orange 69 Z28 with JL8 brakes, cross-ram & GM fiberglass hood, TI setup, heater and radio delete, being restored
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode