68 Z/28 Value - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2001 General Tech questions from 2001
Replies ONLY, no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 2nd, 02, 03:58 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Question

I know where a 68 Z is For Sale the car needs interior kit and painted has a very good solid body. The car has the original matching # 302 motor with the car but it is cracked in the lifter gallery's it has a 350 CI motor now. What would this car be worth like it is. The car is Green with a Green interior not the Ralley Green.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 2nd, 02, 08:02 AM
Senior Tech

Let's do it this way:
What's the dude asking for the car?

If you find out what it's "worth" - that's probably what it'll cost.

1st and foremost, you want to verify the thing is actually a real 1968 Z28. There's apparently more of them on the road these days than back in 1968. It would suck to get burned for big dollars.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 2nd, 02, 09:53 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

The guy is asking $11000.00 for the car.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 2nd, 02, 10:15 AM
Senior Tech

I'm in the low rent dept around here and I'm sure there's plenty of other folks who can comment with more authority on pricing:

But the $11K price sounds like less than 1/2 of the going rate of the real thing.

I was talking with a fellow once, cause I was towing my car. We got to talking. He had a "Z28" too. Ayup. A 1968 Z28. Ayup (you and everyone else). "I sold it". Ayup. Whaddya get for it if I might ask?

"$25,000".

OK - Farmer Brown is actually the real McCoy. Pardon me.

I'd check it inside & out with the help of this site, but I wouldn't be quick to jump on it for $11K. It could be a 1968 coupe with a busted 302 from something else. I don't know I'm just skeptical.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 2nd, 02, 10:37 AM
Senior Tech
John

Is the block repairable, and is the rest of the engine there? Do the trans. and rear end #'s match?
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 2nd, 02, 11:46 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

I have not checked the # on the rear or the tran. I know it does have the 12-bolt rear and the muncie tran. the car has the tach and guages, I do know about the block if it can be repaired or not.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 2nd, 02, 01:30 PM
Senior Tech
John

Unless the block can be repaired, and the engine is complete, you'll just be buying a regular Camaro with a 12 bolt and 4 speed. Is the car worth $11000 as a plain Camaro? Is it sequoia green by any chance (code V)?
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 2nd, 02, 02:54 PM
SY1
Senior Tech
Dave

I've got to agree with Kyvox here. Without the 302 it isn't worth half of what it could be. a 350 in a Z is just another nice Camaro with a 4 speed and muncie. Just be careful, most of these cars for sale these days are bogus, but there are some real ones out there if you know what to look for. Just so you know or maybe you do already, the tach and gages were optional on the 68 Z and could also be ordered on any 68 Camaro. My first 68 Z did not have gages. Check the redline on the tach, check for power disc brakes, 4 piston calipers, 4 leaf multileaf rear springs and a drivers side dual exhasut reinforcement plate welded to the left rear frame rail (only dual exhaust cars had these). Make sure it was originally a 4 speed car by the routing of the speedo cable and look to see that the hole in the firewall has the clean factory punched hole for the clutch pedal linkage with the factory boot screwed to the hole. Grille should be silver, not black and if an early build date would not have had Z/28 emblems on the fenders, but 302 emblems instead. these were not the same as the 302 emblems the mid year 69s had on their cowl hoods, they are curved to fit the body lines of the 68 fender, I still have some of these if you want the part numbers. Check to see if the back up lights work or at least the wiring to the switch at the trans is still there, a lot of 4 speed transplant cars won't have this. There are a lot of other things to look for, but these usually for me are the major ones that turn up fraud cars. If it's solid and the 302 is included in the price then I'd say buy it if you think it's legit.
Dave
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 2nd, 02, 05:59 PM
Senior Tech
Jeff

If the original 302 is indeed the original stamped block, then that's like having the p-o-p or build sheet proving it's a real Z28. If an original #'s matching 68 Z28 is worth $20-$25K, figure that one with a different engine probably loses $5-7K in value. But if the car still needs work and paint to make it look like it did when new, you don't really want to put more than $15-17K into it. That's my opinion. But, if you consider that any solid, rust free Camaro with running engine and drivetrain is going to sell for at least $7K so if you can get the car for $9-$10K, then you should be in good shape. Just make sure the cracked block is not a restamp. Check the glovebox door for the 15" tire pressure sticker as backup to verify the Z28. If he still has all the original 302 parts, then that adds more value and you can find another 302 to put in it.

------------------
Jeff H - 93 Indy 500 Pace Car(supercharged) & driven daily, Hugger Orange 69 Z28 with JL8 brakes, cross-ram & GM fiberglass hood, TI setup, heater and radio delete, being restored
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode