'67 RS/SS 396 Convertible - Ebay - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2001 General Tech questions from 2001
Replies ONLY, no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 2nd, 02, 05:58 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Dave

Okay guys. What do you think? What's it really worth?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/aw-cg...877920&r=0&t=0

Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 2nd, 02, 07:50 PM
Tech Team

Like everything else, It's worth what the market will bear. I don't know the value, but the more I see on ebay, The less I understand values! Last week I saw (on ebay) an L78 #'s matching unrestored, but very nice conditon green 69, that made it up to about 16k. Didn't sell, reserve not met, At the same time another 69bb, I'm assuming 325hp without orig. trans is currently up to about 24k. The last bidder retracted, because he didn't know the car was originally green! It'hugger orange now. I would have thought the L78 would get more hits, but it seems that on ebay, common sense doesn't always prevail! just my opinion, Terry
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 3rd, 02, 05:21 AM
Senior Tech
Paul

If I bought the car to restore I wouldn't want to have any more than 20k into it as that is what I would figure that I could sell it for. Without the original engine and trans though.....I don't know that I would want to drop big bucks on a project car. If the car goes for 10k on ebay can a guy get it into tip top shape for under 10k?

Ebay is funny though....You never can tell what they'll go for. Although I've heard that a lot of winning bidders end of not buying in the end.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 3rd, 02, 06:24 AM
Senior Tech

Send a message via AIM to jrager
There is also a 69 396 Convertible on ebay for about the same amount. Reserve not met yet.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/aw-cg...item=599940986

------------------
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 3rd, 02, 06:41 AM
Senior Tech

I just pulled up all the '67-'68 RS/SS convertibles for sale on Auto Trader and found the following: '68 396/4spd $34,900
'68 needs complete resto $13,900, '67 350 auto $15,000, '67 Indy pace car 396/375 $39,000, '67 350/4spd $28,500, '67 350/auto $33,500, '68 396/4spd $34,950, '68 327 $24,950, '67 350/4spd $31,000. All of these cars but two are listed north of $28,000 and all the 396 cars are well above $30,000. We can argue if they will really get these prices, but IMHO the figure in the post above of $20,000 for an RS/SS 396/4spd convertible is too low. I feel if you kept it below $30,000 on resto costs, you will probably not get killed. Again, this is just my opinion.

[This message has been edited by denverRS/SS (edited 01-03-2002).]
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 3rd, 02, 12:15 PM
Senior Tech
Paul

My luck, I would buy the car and end up putting in 17k or 18k and have a hard time moving it for 30k and end up selling it for near break even or under.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 3rd, 02, 06:09 PM

Talking

I seen that car the other day and was surprised to see the price, i had a rsss 396 non matching# but date coded convertible for ten years , ..when i orignaly bought it i payed $2500.00(no motor or trans) i scan ebay every day,some prices good some out in left field!! some people can not afford 30 or 40 thousand dollar cars and they should not be mocked.it would be a great car restored .all the best to it"s new owner. steve
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 5th, 02, 02:07 PM

Since were talking about values,Im looking at a 67 RS/SS 350 convert.It is complete with factory tach,console with gauges,deluxe interior,and needs a complete resto.The only rust that I can see is in the quarters.The car is very straight and runs and drives.
I have to offers the guy something,but Im not sure how much.Whats this car worth at a good deal,Im not in a position to throw money at him!

Thanks,Mark
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 6th, 02, 01:37 PM
Tech Team

Last Nov. I purchased my first 67 convert. At the time of purchase I was so excited that I overlooked alot of areas, but what the he!!, I was excited. It has been one year now and I have put over $5000 into the car and have a long way to go. SOme things I will have to do over. Transmission and rear end for starters. You guys know the lessons you learn from the school of HARD KNOCKS?

Be careful bidding on a car you are unalbe to look at in person. There is so much to consider. Just from looking at the picture I beleive the price is already to high. Without knowing the condition of the engine and transmission my best guess is you would spend at least $8000 to $10,000 to get the car in good condition.

Items such as headlight bezels, new door handles, mirrors, windows, locks, dash pad add up quickly. Good luck.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 6th, 02, 01:44 PM
Senior Tech
Paul

I just looked at a 68 convertible SS 396 here in town. Doesn't have the original engine, but the rear and trans are there. The car is really nice....wouldn't have to do anything to the car. It's red with a white top and black interior.....20k(Maybe 18k) would buy the car. If I wasn't so cheap I would get it! If it was a verifiable SS 396 I for sure have bought it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode