1969 R/S conversion - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2001 General Tech questions from 2001
Replies ONLY, no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 4th, 02, 07:27 AM Thread Starter

We have a 1969 Camaro that I want to convert to R/S frontend. I'm going to purchase new R/S fenders because the old ones have alot of filler and also some rust in them. We want the R/S look, but because this car mainly sees dragstrip duty I only want to buy the minimum number of parts to get the look. Don't need all the bells and whistles that you would need on a restoration. This question applies mainly to the frontend of the car. Can anyone help me?If you could give me a list of parts I would need that would help alot. Don't want to invest $1000 just to acheive the R/S look. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 4th, 02, 01:22 PM
Senior Tech
Scott

Lightbulb

You will need the following parts:

The RS fenders, complete RS Grille assembly, complete RS headlight cover assemblies with bell crank & springs, maybe new headlight cans (can't remeber if RS cans are different from non-RS). If you are not driving on the street you may be able to ditch the headlight parts and permanently close the headlamp covers.

That should do it!

You can find these parts at many restoration parts houses. Try NPD or Rick's First Generation. Rick's has a downloadable catalog with part numbers!

Hope this helps.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 4th, 02, 01:30 PM

Get yourself a couple of restoration catalogs from parts suppliers such as Classic Industries, D&R Classics, Ricks First Generation, etc. Mostly you'll need the bellcrank assemblies, the doors, grill, lower valance, new parking lights, and new lenses, and bellcrank mounting parts. For the back you'll need RS lenses and backup lights w/ lenses.

...Ron

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 4th, 02, 03:28 PM
Senior Tech

The inner fenders will also have to be drilled for the rs bellcranks.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 02, 05:53 PM
Jeremiah

If you have to run lights you will need the comlete RS capsuls. If you will have no lights you could fabricate metal straps to hold the doors in place within the grill openings. Two straps with a 90 on each end glued to the upper and lower grill backside painted flat black for the doors to sit against. Use a good glue like a heavy panel adhesive for car door skins. You can get this glue from any auto paint/body supply store. A screw with a polished head would wedge between the chrome louvers on the chrome door inserts and go through these straps. Just a thought, But It would be cheap. Mayebee this will help with ideas.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 8th, 02, 09:24 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the help fellas!!! Now if the weather would just warm up here!!! Brrrrrrr!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode