2001 Camaro Sales - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2001 General Tech questions from 2001
Replies ONLY, no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 4th, 02, 12:44 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Mike

Only 35,453 2001 Camaro's were sold, down 16% from 2000.

On the other hand they sold a Chevrolet Full-size Pickups 769,006 +19.8%

For more info.. http://media.gm.com/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 4th, 02, 08:35 PM
Senior Tech

2 things killed the camaro- marketing(or rather, lack of it), and insurance. they never really marketed the camaro like they should have, because there was less of a profit margin in making them. but maybe if they had done some marketing, they would have sold more, which would have led to greater profit margins, which leads to more marketing budget...well, they would have sold them by the millions had they wanted to. maybe they should market the hell out of the vettes and bring costs down on them. imagine a vette for $30,000- less than a dressed out Z28. it could be done, if they wanted to. but then the vette guys would get all pissy 'cuz every kid would have what they have... i guess you can't please everybody. maybe they could engineer a back seat into the vette chassis somehow and call it Camaro. that would rule.

------------------
1971 Nova(looks like 69 camaro from underneath!)
355sb, vortec heads, HOT cam,T-10 tranny, 3.70 gears 16X8" IROC wheels
see pics here http://community.webshots.com/user/novaderrik
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 5th, 02, 10:07 AM
Tech Team

Question

Definitly a lack of marketing has hurt the Camaro sales, I think it also has to do with the stale design put forth by Chevy, it may be okay to churn out the same car design year end and year out when the car is selling well, but when sales and interest in the newer Camaros have plumeted, GM has shown no interest in freshing up the cars image.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 5th, 02, 11:02 AM
Senior Tech

Thumbs down

They kept the style too long..Thats what made the 1 gens so nice..Also, I think people wanted a muscle looking car rather than a sportscar like they made it into. I never liked the 4th gen..too pointy and plain looking, looks cheap...
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 6th, 02, 01:41 PM
Tech Team

Chevy should re-make a first gen car. WHo would be buyers for this type of car now? BABY BOOMERS! The ones who are now starting to retire and have the money. Their houses are almost paid for, kids out of the house and the men want to relive their youth. Baby boomers now make up the largest portion of the US population as well as disposable income. I should work for Chevy.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 6th, 02, 02:42 PM
Senior Tech
Chris

I had a '96 WS6 Trans Am which basically the same as the Camaro. It was a nice car. Fast, great handling, good gas mileage, but the thing was huge. It had nothing in common with my '69. My '92 Mustang GT is more Camaro-like than my TA was. They need to make the Camaro a pony car again.

I think the classic car market also takes sales away from the new performance car market. I know a lot of guys who buy old cars or street rods instead of getting a new one.

------------------
'69 RS SS 396 375hp L78 Convertible, M22, 3.31 posi, deluxe interior, gauges, rosewood wheel, AM-FM, fold down seat, tilt wheel, Torque Thrust Wheels, console mounted 8 track player, chambered exhaust, locking gas cap
COMING SOON Corvette tripower, small body HEI, and maybe "842" aluminum heads
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Album...9124&a=8603468
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 6th, 02, 03:42 PM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
There were other years that sales dropped, 234k in '69 down to 124k in '70 (short production year) and it kept dropping each year until 68k in '72. Then sales went up again every year until '78 (282k that year) It got down to 35k in '90 and 39k in '93.... Poor sales hasn't followed the generation changes, it hasn't followed performance changes! I can't say that my '96 is bigger than my '69 from a driving standpoint or looking at them both sitting in the garage.

It's not a car for the mass' in it's current configuration but it does what it was designed to do very well. Marketing may not have been cost effective, after all we are living in a time when the Avalanche (sp?) is Motor Trends truck of the year!! Business is business and with the union contracts being up at the same time the lease is do to be renwed at the Camaro plant (that wasn't running full production), it kinda makes sense to close things down.

As much as things change they stay the same so maybe 25-30 years from know the low numbers will make the 4th gen even more desirable than out 1st gens are today. After all there were 234k made in '69 and it's getting harder than ever to find a deal on one. The scary part is that our 1st gens will be like Model A's and Stanley Steamers then!!

------------------
...Dennis
"The '69, the '96 & the club"

[This message has been edited by DjD (edited 01-06-2002).]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode