Need a Cross Ram Historian - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2001 General Tech questions from 2001
Replies ONLY, no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 4th, 02, 04:57 PM Thread Starter

OK Guys... Go easy on me. I am here from the Chevelle board. I am not informed on Camaro's and need help.
I want to purchase a 69 Z with the cross ram set up. I have figured this adds about 5 Grand. But here is the real Question. This one has 750 cfm Carbs instead of the 580 cfm. The story is that in 69 Holley built 8 carbs, 4 sets for Penske/donohue team. Legal? I don't think so... But story has it this car has a set on it. Any of you experts heard any rumors of this? I am sure it was kept quite. I would appriciate any info. If true I would assume they would be worth a lot.

------------------
MY 70 LS5 CONVERTIBLE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 4th, 02, 06:01 PM
David Pozzi

Anything's possible.
But I doubt that large a carb is- or ever was desirable on a 302!
For some background and more info check here: http://www.camaro-untoldsecrets.com/welcome_fs.htm
Send an E-Mail To Wayne Guinn and order the book he wrote, it shows a very detailed history on the crossram and if anyone knows of a special carb deal, he would.
David

------------------
Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:
David's Motorsports page
First Gen Suspension Page
67 RS 327
69 Camaro Vintage Racer
65 Lola T-70 Chev 350 Can-Am Vintage Racer
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 5th, 02, 12:28 PM
Senior Tech
Jeff

The correct 4295 carbs are 600 cfm double pumpers. The race carbs had the air horn machined off because it disrupted airflow. The 4295 carbs never had a provision for the choke so the air horn isn't needed. Like David said, send Wayne an email, he'll get back to you and I'm sure he'd like to find out more about what you found. A crossram setup probably adds 6-8K in value to a car. You can't find a complete setup for 5K anymore.

------------------
Jeff H - 93 Indy 500 Pace Car(supercharged) & driven daily, Hugger Orange 69 Z28 with JL8 brakes, cross-ram & GM fiberglass hood, TI setup, heater and radio delete, being restored

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 5th, 02, 01:39 PM
Team Member
John

Never could understand why the cross-ram setups bring so much more money; great for shows and spectators to look at, but miserable to tune and live with on a driven car. Gotta be a pain to remove the intake manifold to get your valve covers off. To each their own, however.. .

------------------
JohnZ
'69 Z28 Fathom Green
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 5th, 02, 02:14 PM
Tech Team

maybe its the 200 extra horsepower thing.it sure does look nice to.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 6th, 02, 06:02 AM
Senior Tech

I agree with JohnZ, nice for the spectators to view, but not very practical for a driven car, food for thought: Car Life, Aug. 69 , 69 Z/28 with crossram and 4:10, 15.12 @ 94.08, vs single carb Car Life July 68, 14.85 @ 101.4. Heck, I would guess the car is worth 5-8 grand more to the owner because that is what he had to fork out for his NOS crossram "option"

------------------
69 rallye green X77 Z/28,1967 SS 396 Conv. 1974 c-10 454 swb
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 02, 09:39 PM
SY1
Senior Tech
Dave

I've gotta add Smokey Yunick said "Properly set up nothing will out perform a crossram set up". Problem is even he said they are difficult to tweak. If he had problems I'm sure that most owner do. I like the aftermarket single quad crossram setups when you really feel the need for a crossram. With the Smokeyram you do need to modify the valvecover lip slightly on each side of the engine to get the covers off.

My guess is the crossram car wasn't tuned properly and / or didn't hook up. I wouldn't expect it to run decent with only 4.10 gears either, 4:88s would be mor in line with what would be desirable. Also I wouldn't run the stock 302 cam with a crossram. I'd look for something with much more duration and more lift. Some of these had huge plenums.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode