Fan shroud restoring and tach face replacements - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2001 General Tech questions from 2001
Replies ONLY, no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 5th, 02, 01:08 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Gary

Question

I have a non damaged fan shroud but cosmetically is horrible looking. Looks to have been painted at one time in its life as well. Anyone have any suggestions on how to clean up something like this to look at least close to a factory fresh look?

Also, does anyone know where i can get a factory tach face restored? or a replacement?

I did a search and couldn't find anything on my topic. Dennis, how about a "Tips on restoration" topic? Or would my questions fit in one of the other topics?

Thanks,
Gary
1969 Cortez Silver Z28
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 5th, 02, 01:25 PM
Team Member
John

I'd go after the fan shroud with lacquer thinner and a Scotchbrite pad to get the paint off, and see how it looks when you're done. If it's smooth but still scruffy, I'd spray it with either Krylon #1613 Semi-Flat or John Deere "Blitz-Black" - both give an "eggshell black" finish similar to the "blackout" paint in a Corvette engine compartment. Not kidding about the John Deere rattle-can paint - it's a favorite of us NCRS guys for exactly duplicating the original Corvette firewall/engine compartment blackout treatment.

------------------
JohnZ
'69 Z28 Fathom Green
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 5th, 02, 02:28 PM

Thumbs up

Hey Gary,

When I bought my '67 it had a '68 speedo and a ratty looking tach. I sent them to Red Line Gauge and Clock Repair in Tennessee to be refurbished. They swapped the '68 face for a refurbished '67 face, refurbished the face and electronics of the tach and tested everything out for less than $150. That price included tax, shipping, insurance, and "express" service. They look brand new and I would heartily recommend their work. The phone number for Red Line is (901) 661-0225. Ask for John.

Steve

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 5th, 02, 03:47 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Gary

Talking

JohnZ...Thanks for the info on the shroud. I will try that. There is a John Deere dealership 5 miles from me, so I'll pick some of that paint up. What parts in the engine compartment can I use that paint on other than the shroud? By the way, (think back) I decided on using a seperate wire from the fuse box to my Unilite distributor to supply the coil with the proper voltage thru the Mallory resister. I noticed that the factory resistance wire was glowing and smoking very badly and I felt it was unsafe and worried that it would leave my wife stranded while she was driving the Z. The Unilite performs flawlessly. Thanks for that info.

Texas67SS...thanks for your info as well. I'll give them a call. My grand-daughter (3 yrs old) broke the needle off the tach that was in my car when it was sitting on the work bench. A very nice gentleman on this board answered my ad for a tach needle replacement and he gave me a factory tach for next to nothing that he fried accidently. When I looked at it, compared to the one I removed from my car, they were the same but different. Mine was probably an early repo that must have been replaced by previous owner. Anyway, the factory one is for an SS350 model and I want to rebuild it and reface it like the 8 grand 69 Z tach. Do you think this is possible? If by any chance they can't do it, anybody have an 8 grand tach face for sale or know of anyone that re-screens?

Thnks,
Gary
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 6th, 02, 10:17 AM
Team Member
John

Gary -

The Krylon #1613 or John Deere "Blitz Black" would be pretty close to original for the firewall and the "black metal" that was originally dip-primed (inner fenders, rad support, grille/hood latch support). The hood latch plate assembly, hood catch (on the hood), and hinges were phosphated, not painted.

------------------
JohnZ
CRG
'69 Z28 Fathom Green
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 02, 10:51 AM

Gary,

Red Line gauge can totally refurbish your tach. They have replacement needles, or they can repaint yours. They can also repaint your tach face like new. Just tell them what you want the redline to be.

You might as well send your speedo in with the tach. Once you have your brand new looking tach in the dash, you'll want the speedo to match.

Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode