correct 69 z battery? - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2001 General Tech questions from 2001
Replies ONLY, no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 5th, 02, 02:20 PM Thread Starter
69z

what was the correct 69 z/28 battery? was it the y55? were all y55 batterys the same? i am looking for the right one and would liek to know exactly what to look for. was there are certain series number y55? please help. thanks! tommy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 5th, 02, 03:11 PM
Senior Tech
William

Z/28s and possibly all sb '69 Camaros used a "reverse polarity" battery, meaning the neg terminal is on the RH side. Big block Camaros and most GM cars used a battery with the pos terminal on the RH side.

Compounding the situation is the mid-year chaneover to the side-terminal battery. The info provided to dealers hints at a March date; no one knows for sure. The optional HD T60 battery seems to have remained top terminal. A broadcast sheet for a Nov 68 Z/28 shows Y55, a sheet for a June Z/28 shows Y77.
An early May COPO shows R59, a mid May COPO R79.

To the best of my knowledge only the standard battery has been reprod; even the "topper" depicts the standard battery. I found an NOS Y55 at a swap some years back. Even a discharged battery could be rebuilt.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 5th, 02, 05:24 PM Thread Starter
69z

ALL Y55 batteries are the "reverse polarity"? when looking for this battery, ANY with the Y55 number will be correct right? thanks for all info

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 6th, 02, 06:52 AM
Senior Tech
William

I believe so but am not certain. I had this discussion with a Delco jobber that had all the old catalogs. I thought there was a suffix that designated reverse polarity. I do recall he said Y55 was a standard replacement Ford battery so you might try dealers in NOS Ford.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 6th, 02, 09:19 AM
Senior Tech
VINTAGE CERT

I own a 69z built 5A and the body broadcast sheet designates y77. The car also has the correct side terminal cables.

[This message has been edited by shaugs (edited 01-06-2002).]
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 6th, 02, 09:58 AM
Team Member
John

My 02D (Canadian-delivered) '69Z has T-60, with top-terminal cables; negative cable is outboard, next to the fender, positive cable is inboard, as shown in the A.I.M.

------------------
JohnZ
CRG
'69 Z28 Fathom Green

[This message has been edited by JohnZ (edited 01-06-2002).]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode