pace car - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2001 General Tech questions from 2001
Replies ONLY, no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 02, 01:17 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Saw this ad for an '67 pace car here in Europe. http://www.mobile.de/cgi-bin/search....etail=21208640
The story is in German, it says:
'67 Pace Car Convertible with complete historie. Vehicle was 1st. Prize in a contest by Sears company in the in US. Only Pace Car of this modelyear with front of regular Camaro. Special order of Sears to General Motors. 23 Years of ownership by the family of the winner. Completely restored in 1990. All original docs at hand.

[This message has been edited by Dutch69Camar (edited 01-07-2002).]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 02, 02:56 AM
Senior Tech
VINTAGE CERT

That is not an actual pace car replica. I beleive there was a sales promotion called the "pacesetter" and Sears was involved.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 02, 05:01 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

I guess that makes it kind of expensive then, at approx. $26k., i just figured to post it, you never know!

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 02, 06:02 AM
Senior Tech
Mark

I think this car is also an L-6 with a 2 sped power glide. About the only thing it had in common with a pace car is that it was white with a blue interior.

There was an article somewhere on the web about this car and the guy that won it back in 67, but I can't find it now.

------------------
Mark Canning
1969 Indy Pace Car
350/300HP RPO Z11
My 69 L48 - 350/300HP Engine
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 02, 06:40 AM
Senior Tech

Sears had a contest and gave away a few Camaros that were stripped down Pace Car looking Camaros.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 02, 03:58 PM
Tech Team

I found an article in the INTERNATIONAL CAMARO CLUB's IN THE FAST LANE may/june 1990 concerning this car.The article is fairly long so I"ll highlight the major parts. "This 1967 Pace car was given away,through a drawing, from the now closed Eagledale Sears Dept store on the outskirts of Indianapolis.
The car was special ordered by Sears for the giveaway. Since Sears is a large corporation, Chevrolet agreed to build the car without the RS/SS option package.Simply put , Sears wanted to spend as little money as possible...It also has the original ME code 327 cu in motor with a 2-barrel carb(The motor does not have the last six digits of the VIN on the engine pad, but numbers matching is another matter entirely, however casting dates and the protectoplate do match.) Since the car is not an RS/SS , the automatic transmission gear selector is located on the column and it came with full wheel disc hubcaps and a blue top."
There is a picture of the winner and his family sitting in the car . The car has pace car decals on the doors. The article says the owner removed the decals because he thought the car looked better without them.This may start a bigger contraversy to determine if this a replica or not. That is not my intent, it is to help shed some light on this special car.
Thanks , Michael

[This message has been edited by twobytwo (edited 01-07-2002).]
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 02, 04:25 PM
Senior Tech
Jeff

I guess it's a special order 1 of 1 made so it will be worth something to somebody. With original paperwork and documentation, that makes a nice show and conversation piece.

------------------
Jeff H - 93 Indy 500 Pace Car(supercharged) & driven daily, Hugger Orange 69 Z28 with JL8 brakes, cross-ram & GM fiberglass hood, TI setup, heater and radio delete, being restored
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode