what an annoyance - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2001 General Tech questions from 2001
Replies ONLY, no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old Jan 10th, 02, 03:26 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

In the beginning of November I hired a chassis guy to install my sub-frame connectors and roll bar. He said he could start in 3 weeks. Three weeks later I call him and ask him to return my call and tell me if he is ready to do my job. No return call. A week later I call him again and he asks where I was - he expected me the previous weekend. So I bring the car to him on saturday December 8. He states that he will begin in a couple days.

The following friday I stop in to see what has been done and give him a deposit he requested. He had done no work, claiming some emergencies had come up, but that he would be starting in a couple days

Just before X-mas I call to check on things and he tells me he has been busy, but will be starting in the next couple days (see a pattern emerging here.)

On sunday December 30 I stop in to check on the car. He tells me this is the Lord's day and that he does no work and that he doesn't entertain customers on the Lord's day. I can grant him that, except that he had done some work for someone else I know on a sunday less than a month before. He said I should come back the next day, but there was nothing to see since he hadn't started the job yet. He also stated that I was getting to be pain in the ***.

The following day, I called him and left a message stating that since he seemed to be rather busy and couldn't get to my job at that time, that I would like to keep the car in my own garage until he could, providing me the opportunity to work on some other projects in the mean time. He called back and said that he couldn't do business with someone who didn't trust him and that he would rather return the deposit check and part company. He agreed to leave the car and roll cage material outside and to leave a check in the glove box.

I went and picked up the car and roll cage, but, of course, there was no check. I left him a message stating that he had "forgotten" to leave the check and that I expected it in the mail by the next saturday. He called me back the next day, the first, stating that he wanted to confirm the address and amount and that he would send out the check the next day.

It is now the 10th and no check has arrived. I am about to send out a registered letter, requesting the return of the money by the end of the month, otherwise I will initiate legal action (which means I take him to small claims court).

I am writing this as a form of venting. I guess I should have known better, but this guy's lack of ethics burns me up.

Ed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old Jan 10th, 02, 03:36 AM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
Put a stop payment on the check and get back to the task of finding a good shop to do business with...

------------------
...Dennis
"The '69, the '96 & the club"
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old Jan 10th, 02, 03:55 AM
Senior Tech

Talking

Sounds like a typical lazy good for nothing rip off artist that needs a good butt kicking in court. Then I would tell everybody I know that this guy is not someone that you need to do business with.
Remember get everything in writing including when the project is to be started and completed. I have done this many times and if they won't sign it..take your business someplace else. Canceling the check is fine but I bet he has already spent the money.

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old Jan 10th, 02, 04:08 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

I checked with the bank and the checked cleared three days after I gave it to him, so he put it in the bank that day. At least he able to do some things promptly.

I have already lined up someone else that struck me as a lot more trustworthy. I have to admit that my gut feeling on the first guy was not good, but he came well recommended. I keeping re-learning not to override my gut feeling.

Ed
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old Jan 10th, 02, 05:22 AM
Senior Tech

Angry

That stinks, hope you get your money back. Guys that that shouldn't own a business!

------------------

Dean

Racer#00

67 Camaro (Almost done!)
76 Trans Am Stock Car
68 Dodge D-100 P/U
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old Jan 10th, 02, 05:51 AM
Senior Tech

No wonder he aknowleged Lords Day so promidently...He's got a guilty conscience!
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old Jan 10th, 02, 06:56 AM
Senior Tech

last year at this time it told me 6 months to get nothing done on my car,finally I picked it up and took to someone who was in bussiness to do work not just collect money.

I got my money back in about two weeks ,he was good about that I will say!

good luck!

------------------
drive it like you stole it!!!
67 327 11:1 4spd.
70 454 400thm 10 bolt posi
2000 SS camaro navy blue A4,chrome SS wheels
my camaros
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old Jan 10th, 02, 08:13 AM
Senior Tech
Steve

Remember, by him accepting the check (depositing into his account/cashing it)he has agreed to a contact to perform services which you didn't get. Take him to small claims court and get the money you are out for the deposit and your personal time that was wasted in getting it returned. This process will teach him a lesson not to do it again to someone else. I am sure this isn't his first time doing this. BTW, I had something similar happen to me and this was the route I went and it turned out well for me. Small claims court judges donít take kindly to this kind business.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old Jan 10th, 02, 12:35 PM

When they start touting 'The Lord's Day'....look out!
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old Jan 10th, 02, 02:03 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Bruno

Exclamation

Don't know about you guys, but we have a saying here that reads, "a paid musician doesn't give a good performance" or something like that. Good luck and be careful the next time...

------------------
Our affair with Camaros is a live sentence without the possibility of parole. www.geocities.com/c68ss http://home.coqui.net/borench

[This message has been edited by ORENCH (edited 01-11-2002).]
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old Jan 10th, 02, 05:20 PM

I'm a musician ......

anyways haha..yea this happend to my dad when he got his "cool" carolla HA..okay...well there was an electrical problem i guess with it and the guy kept my dads car int he shop for liek a month and charged my dad like 2000 dollars..and he didnt even fix anything...the next day we took the car to this japanese guy and he just said it was a bad connection and didnt even charge us anything..haha my dad got ripped off....My cars better lol

Christine
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old Jan 10th, 02, 05:20 PM
Senior Tech

I realize its too late now, but anytime a business asks me for money up front for services that havent been provided yet, I walk away. I think that right there says enough. If they cant manage their money well enough that they cant do a job without an advance, then chances are they cant run a business very well either. I used to work in the auto body business. I only worked for 1 guy that requested customers to pay something up front. He did the same thing that your guy did...the money was spent in a few days and he might start working on the car 2-3 weeks later if he was bored. He was always broke...way behind on his paint and supply bills with the local paint companys. Bill collectors calling all the time, etc. What was really funny about the whole deal is that every tuesday evening, rather than working on something he had already been paid for, he was at his Amway motivational meetings As an employee I got screwed too...I never did get paid all he owed me. I left within 4 weeks. I found out several months later that one of his customers that had already paid in full for a new paint job and some very minor body work, after several months and no progress on his car, went to the shop and stabbed the guy several times.
Sorry to ramble...I guess what I am trying to say is trust those gut instincts...more often than not they are right.
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 02, 05:34 AM
Senior Tech

Talking

Another point: If you have to pay up front for any service...pay by credit card. Most credit card companies will protect you from people like him. They credit your account and charge his account. Simple and easy.
If you the aggressive type..just go over to his shop and don't leave until he gives you the money...just sit in his waiting area or by his front door where customers go in and out and make sure everybody knows why your there. Just be careful not to set the guy off or do anything illegal. Our company has done this for collections and it usually works and drives the person you are collecting from crazy. It's funny to think...if somebody did this 50 years ago...you would get some of your buddies together and go down to his shop and beat the snot out of him until he paid you. That I would not recommend.

[This message has been edited by Toby T. (edited 01-11-2002).]
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 02, 12:47 PM
Senior Tech
TJ

Hmmmmmm... not good my friend, not good. I run my own business of repairing small engines, and I would never even think of asking for money up front. Anyway, that is not the issue. If you have to take it to court, you have a very good chance of winning becasue it was the other guy who initially decided that he didn't want to do business with you. So any claims he might make about "I was going to do the work" will be deemed as false. HH is the one who called off the project, it was HIS decision to quit, so he must return the payment. If he tells the judge that you were becoming annoying by always calling him, the judge will just tell him that if he had done the work in the first place, you wouldn't have had the need to hound him. It will all work out, and you would be doing others great justice by telling folks about your experience and saving them the grief of doing business with this guy.
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old Jan 12th, 02, 11:06 AM
Senior Tech

Had a similar experence with a machine shop here just recently. I didn't give any money up front but i got it in the end though. My engine parts were there for over two months before they got done. I would have to listen to every excuse in the book for the delays. Finally I went over there and fanned out cash to show him i was itching to pay and get my engine parts back. He was in a tight for money at the time and tried to as he put it "make things happen today but this is the worst engine i've ever tried to clean, balance etc". "It's just taking more time than usual on your stuff because it's so messed up". I finally got it back and double checked his clearancing and will have to say it's the worst job i've ever seen him do and two rods are tight enough you have to use a screwdriver and pry to get the side to side clearance. Yea i guess i rushed him. Heaven knows it takes two or three months to vat a block, bore and hone, balance crank and rods, install pistons onto rods. I later found out he has a drug problem so that explains it. Now i guess there are no machine shops in Huntsville AL I trust to do business with!! Been [email protected]$#ed by them all i guess.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode