engine build recommendations - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2001 General Tech questions from 2001
Replies ONLY, no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 10th, 02, 03:59 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Ken

Send a message via AIM to Winch Send a message via MSN to Winch
I'm looking at buying a 350 4 bolt block and steel crank that came out of a 69 truck. I want to replace the 6 cyl M20 in my 68 with it. I want it to be streetable but with plenty of kick. What recommendations do y'all have to build it to about 350+ hp? I'll be looking to buy connecting rods, pistons, cam, heads, intake & carb and headers. I don't think I want to stroke it. What's an average price for it?
Also what else will I need to do the conversion? I'm looking at getting a 12 bolt 4.11 posi and I know a bigger radiator. What about front springs? Anything else?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 10th, 02, 04:09 AM
Senior Tech
Gary

be careful, Truck blocks are .4" taller (if I remember correctly) That will mean that passenger intakes will not fit. Don't know what that does to exhaust and other clearances. Ask in the engine section. I'm sure you can get more complete information.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 10th, 02, 04:21 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Ken

Is that 4 inches taller or 4 tenths of an inch? The intake manifold would have to be for a truck engine?
Anybody else know more about this?

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 10th, 02, 04:59 AM
Senior Tech

i don't think you'll need front springs. i dropped a small block in mine from a 6 cyl. and it actually rides a little bit higher in the front now. of course, if you want to change them, it's probably a good time to do it when the engine's out.
Tybor
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 10th, 02, 05:07 AM
Tech Team

i dont know about the 4 inches taller thing, i bought a 350 out of a 1 ton, and it was the same as any other 350. and as for the springs, you dont realy need 'em, a small block weighs less than a 6 cylinder.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 10th, 02, 08:32 AM

Also verify your heater hoses at the firewall will hook up. Big blocks have heater hose connections near the frame rail, where small blocks connect closer to the distributor. Other things to look at are the radiator shroud, motor mounts, power steering clearance and starter motor mounting and clearance with manifold/headers.

Robert.

------------------
68 Base Coupe, 327/210hp with TH400
99 Silverado
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 10th, 02, 09:24 AM
Senior Tech

if your going from 6 cyl. to and 350 small block don't worry the truck block will be the same as a car block,a big block is where there are possible truck blocks(366 & 427).
I believe that springs and heatcore are the same 6cyl to small block.

------------------
drive it like you stole it!!!
67 327 11:1 4spd.
70 454 400thm 10 bolt posi
2000 SS camaro navy blue A4,chrome SS wheels
my camaros
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 10th, 02, 11:45 PM
Senior Tech

Since you intend to replace everything but the block, have you considered a GM crate motor...with a warranty?
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 02, 01:32 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Ken

No I really haven't. Something about assemlbing your own I guess. What kind of proces are we looking at for 350+hp?
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 02, 02:47 AM
Senior Tech
James

Exclamation

six cylinder to small block - throttle rod/cable. Inline six cars use throttle cable, small block cars (except cross rams) use a throttle rod. Pedal assemblies are completely different as well. Unless you buy a new/different cable and use an updated linkage. That would be my preference. One less hole in the firewall.

350 hp 350 may be tough with truck heads, which are typically crap. Easiest/cheapest way to 350 HP - 383 with 10:1 hypereutectic pistons and cb heads. If you have some (but limited) money, look at the dart sr sportsman steel heads - often cheaper than finding and rebuilding original heads. If you have more money, look at aluminum heads. GO with a hydraulic or hydraulic roller if you can afford it. Full roller valvetraine. Air gap performer RPM dual plane and a 750 holley.

my 2 cents.

Adivanman
http://www.adivanman.homestead.com/camaro.html
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 02, 02:57 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Ken

I don't have the truck heads anyway so I'm looking at what y'all are suggesting - Vortec and IronEagle?
Why not solid lifters? Half the fun I remember being 16 was helping my older cousin adjust his in his 283 Vette motor in his 55 BelAire. That was a screamer.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 02, 10:29 AM

Talking

What do you want to do with this car? is it going to be a race car or a daily driver?
If you just want to make a good street motor then just get a rubild kit from Jeg or Summit, you get everything to rebuild your motor even the rods and crank but since you have a steel crank you will not nead it but you will have to take it and have it looked at.
If I had the money then I would go with the Iron Eagle heads.
There is nothing wrong by using a solid lifter cam you will even make more power with then put you will have to just the valves more offen and they make more noise.

350ci +0.30 9.5:1
Vortec heads
1 3/4 headers
Solid Comp Cam 282S
Edelbrock Performer Intake
Holly 650 vacuum
Will make about 360 TQ and 340 HP.
If you are making a engine to drive a lot then you want a lot of TQ for the red light to red light driving.

Just my 2 cents

JonniD
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 02, 11:56 AM
Senior Tech

You have as good a starting point as you can find. 69 block and steel crank. The heads aren't real good but not as bad as later ones. If you have that good a crank leave it as a 350 and work from there.

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 12th, 02, 07:47 AM
Tech Team

I agree pretty much with what JonniD said, but I would go with the following:

350ci +0.30 9.5:1 KB hypereutectic pistons
Dart Iron Eagle heads
1 5/8 headers
Hydraulic Comp Cam Extreme Energy 268 or 274
Edelbrock Performer RPM Intake
Quadrajet 750 or Holley 750 w/vacuum secondaries

------------------
Ricky
68/RS on Blocks...
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 12th, 02, 09:15 AM
Senior Tech
Tony

Talking

A Relative of mine just put together a 350 (truck blocks are the same demensions pass. car blocks for SBC's). He used:
4 bolt 010/020 block
GM steel crank
Eagle 4340 5.7" rods
Speed Pro forged flat top pistons,.030 over
GM ZZ4 Hot hyd cam
GMPP Fast Burn Vortec heads
Edelbrock Vortec Performer RPM intake
MSD billet distributor (ready to run version)
Quardrajet carb from a 69 3/4 ton 4x4 truck
Brenzski (spell ?) ported early vette ram horn exhaust manifolds

His engine builder dynoed this combo and it produced 386 hp at 5400 rpm and maintained over 400 ftlbs of torque from 3600 to 5000 rpm. He put this in a 70 4x4 truck and that is why he uses the ram horns. Had he used a good set of headers and a larger carb he should get to the 400 hp level. He drives this all over the freeway's and offroad, it has great throttle response (I have only seen better from EFI systems) and hauls the truck around better that most new performance cars.

------------------
TONY
67 CAMARO R/S CLONE, 355/turbo 350, 200hp NOS,12 bolt,etc...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode