map sensor - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2001 General Tech questions from 2001
Replies ONLY, no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 10th, 02, 02:21 PM Thread Starter

Question

where is the map sensor located on a 1988 iroc 350 TPI engine? I have 2 manuals and they both show the sensor either on the left side of the engine compartment next to the brake booster or on the right side mounted to the cowl. I cant find it at either one of these locations! please help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 10th, 02, 03:19 PM
Senior Tech

I believe the TPI engines use a MAF sensor at the intake hose before the throttle body. A MAF eliminates the need for a MAP.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 10th, 02, 03:48 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the info but My computer is reporting a code 34 which is a faulty MAP code. I just replaced the Mass Air Flow Sensor and It cured up my idling problems but after I reset my ecm the new code for the MAP sensor came back (code 34) and the car now backfires and boggs down when excelerated

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 10th, 02, 04:18 PM
Z28 Mark @home

Talking

Hey Ripster508,
I too have an 88 IROC w/ a code 34 problem and it is the MAF sensor. Did you get this information from some kind of repair manual or just word of mouth? As you said, you have already replace the MAF, it could be some other sensor that was really the problem in the first place. Hope this helps.
Also if I might ask, how much did you pay for the MAF sensor? Here in the Bay Area, they want a bank book for one…..

Mark (A.K.A. Z28 Mark)
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 10th, 02, 04:20 PM
Senior Tech
Joe

Try looking on the intake manifold. I beleave thats where the map is on TPI engines. Check the vacuum hose that goes to the MAP before you replace it. A bad vacuum hose will set a MAP code.

------------------
70 Camaro 307cid(350soon) /350th ex. dark purple (dark blue soon) in. black
74 Trans Am 400cid/th400 ex. red in. red power windows tilt wheel
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 10th, 02, 07:27 PM
Senior Tech

That year car has a mass air flow sensor only.Gm uses Code 34 for either the map OR maf.There is to much to check for this code so I'm not even gonna try and type it all.There's a maf burn off relay and a maf power relay so my advice to you is to go buy a repair manual and follow it to a tee before you spend another dime on parts.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 02, 02:26 PM
Tech Team

SSChevyFan is definately right. You will need to invest in a better manual. My favorite so far for my 87 Z-28 is the Haynes Repair Manual, and to a far lesser extent the Chilton. Code 34 is for the MAF, and i think the MAP came into use the next year. Small vac lines run all around the TPI engine, so take your time and trace the lines out of the manifold. I had a big problem w/ a vac line around 1/4 dia that actually caused my mpg to drop by 6! In any case, new manual, and check the lines. There should be 2 in the back, and either one or two running into the front off of a T near the vapor canister.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 02, 07:12 PM
Senior Tech

Just for the record Gm used mass air flow sensors on 1985 through 1989 Tpi engines.Then they switched to 'speed density'which is map sensor.When the new LT1 came out in the Camaro in 1993 they used a map sensor but in 1994 they switched back to using the mass air flow sensor and also had the map sensor on there as a back-up.I also believe the new LS1 is the same way.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode