Start looking out of state? - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2001 General Tech questions from 2001
Replies ONLY, no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 13th, 02, 05:46 PM Thread Starter

You guys think its worth it to start searching out of state for a car since I cant find anything that fits what I want that doesnt get snatched up real quick? Is it worth it to have to deal with getting it back here? How expensive is it to ship/truck a car?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 14th, 02, 12:37 AM
Senior Tech
Scott

Question

That depends on how much time and energy you are willing to put into your search. If you consider getting an out of state car I would make sure you go see it or have someone you can trust go see it before you buy. This can be a very expensive search technique. I would not ship a car! Go rent yourself a trailer and drag it back. Much safer that way.

On the other hand I would continue searching in your state. The right opportunity will present itself. It is just a matter of time. Don't get in too big a rush to buy your first car.
------------------
See my '68 RS/ZZ4 at http://www.100megsfree.com/choptop/camaro.html

[This message has been edited by choptop (edited 01-14-2002).]
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 14th, 02, 05:37 AM
BC
Senior Tech

Timmy,
what kind of car are you looking for that you can't find?
I live in Colorado as do several others here and see cars for sale all the time. You can get a pretty good deal around here from what I've seen elsewhere as we must still be just a bunch of cowboys!

Several of the local papers are available online: www.gazette.com , www.thenickel.com , www.rockymountainnews.com just to name a few.

Let me know if you need some eyes...

Bill C.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 14th, 02, 08:02 AM Thread Starter

Guys-

I am looking for a '69 Camaro, no more than $10,000 and preferably closer to 6k so I have some left over cash to play with. Ideally I'd find a car with a decent small block and mechanically sound with no more than small/cheap repairs to be done to the drivetrain, a solid body with no or crappy paint (so I can paint it this summer), and an ok interior that is at least mostly there.

Not asking too much eh?

But I am having a hard time finding anything worth while in that price range right now.

I know I'll just have to be patient, but I need to sell me current car and so that makes it tricky because I really dont want to go long without a car.

-Tim
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 14th, 02, 10:41 AM
Senior Tech

I've bought a half dozen 69's over the internet in your price range over the last year. I've only been screwed once on a car that was mis-represented. But I've been pleasantly surprised a few time as well. Ask a thousand questions and ask for as many pictures as possible. If you're like most of us on this site, you can talk to a seller and know pretty quick which way he's running. If there's anything in the seller's story that doesn't add up, pass on doing business with him.

A car in this price range will need work, but if it's in need of jobs you can do, all the better. Rust is the nightmare to avoid, unless you're a body man. Also, you want a car tha's close to 100% complete...trim, fasteners, etc, can really cost you time and money.

If you've found a car, offer to overnight half the asking price and negotiate from there.

Good luck!
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 14th, 02, 12:11 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Scott

Tim,
Be careful dealing "sight unseen". I recently went through the same thing you are going through looking for a first generation. I was looking for a project car and I guess I let my emotions get away from common sense. Do not send more than a couple of hundred dollars to act as a retainer, if you get there and it's a piece of junk you will not be out to much. There are a lot of people here who would go look at a car for you and give an honest assesment. Put that to good use....I wish I had.

Good Luck
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 14th, 02, 12:45 PM
Senior Tech

Right on! Thanks, cpoDeep!

Gary
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 14th, 02, 02:32 PM
BC
Senior Tech

Man, guess I do still live in the back-woods, around here you can pick up a damn nice car for under $10,000!

Here is just one papers example, and this is in Denver which is more expensive than here!

Classic Cars, Antique & Special Interest - 1968 Camaro 327, 3spd, new eng, good cond, gar'd for 11 yrs. $8,900. 303-470-3377
[Clip this Ad]

If you want, I'll keep my eyes open for you,

Bill C.

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 14th, 02, 03:00 PM
Senior Tech

Cool

Timmy, I agree with BC... There's always several cars in the papers almost weekly if not daily! Of course I only live 6 blocks from him so we read the same papers. One thing I can say is that BC is pretty hard on sellers. I took him on a hunt last summer and he found things that I overlooked. He's got a great feel for finding all that's wrong with a possible buy and I love to go look! Let either one of us know if you need to have something looked over here!

Good luck with your hunt

------------------
1967 Prostreet Camaro
BBC TH 400 w/4,500 stall 4:56 gears,narrowed and tubbed...
http://www.visionworks-usa.com/camaro
Momma's new toy
http://www.visionworks-usa.com/69camaro
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 14th, 02, 09:14 PM Thread Starter

Please do keep an eye out for me if you guys dont mind, I appreciate it.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 15th, 02, 05:25 AM
BC
Senior Tech

Timmy,
here's another one as an example:

CHEVY 1969 RS Camaro- 350, AT, AC, PB, PS, runs great. Everything under car is new, lots of new parts, rust-free. Body straight, needs paint & completion. $8300 obo. Call 719-634-6626, Jeff

Bill C.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 15th, 02, 07:57 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Scott

Talking

Well, if we are all looking.... anyone know where a minimal rust 67 Camaro project car might be located? I know this is the wrong forum, but i had to ask, you never know who might be reading...

Scott
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 15th, 02, 08:26 AM
Senior Tech
Mark

I also live in Colorado and have seen many first gen Camaros advertised in the local newspapers. However, I don't think this is the best way to find a quality Camaro. There are Camaro clubs and businesses that specialize in Camaros all over this great land. I found my car by joining the Colorado Camaro Club based in Denver. One of the members specializes in first gen Camaro restorations and generally knows about Camaros for sale all over the country. This is how I found my 69 Z28. I'd suggest hooking up with a local club and finding those people that live and breathe Camaros.
Mark
69 Glacier Blue X77

PS: This was the first time I've seen posts from people in Colorado Springs. What was even more surprising was finding two posters, BC and 67Prostreet, both from Colorado Springs posting replies. Have either you guys frequented Cub Foods on Powers Blvd. (not lately but when it was warmer)?
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 15th, 02, 08:31 AM
BC
Senior Tech

That is a very good suggestion ColoradoZ28,
but I often find that those kind of places/people charge a premium price for cars or services. Maybe that's because we don't have any decent clubs around here that I know of.

Yes, I visit Cubs (now Grocery Warehouse) quite a bit... so does 67 Prostreet. When I'm there, I'm usually driving my Chevelle, a 71 SS big-block car, blue with white vinyl top and white SS stripes. What do you drive? I dont recall seeing a blue 69...

Bill C.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode