WHICH ALUMINUM RADIATOR - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2001 General Tech questions from 2001
Replies ONLY, no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 15th, 02, 01:53 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

I am looking for a replacement radiator for my 69 convertible. I will have a 383 stroker motor in it with a supercharger. THe car will be used alot on the street except in the winter.I am looking to get an aluminum radiator and dont know which brand to go with. GRIFFIN, BE COOL, HOWES? Want the best bang for the buck and something that will fit without major headaches. I know some come without provisions for the trans cooling lines others are easier for mounting electric fans. Anyone with any info on what they have used on a 69 CAMARO and the size they used would be greatly appreciated. As well as pros and cons. Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 15th, 02, 02:08 AM
Senior Tech
John

I haven't put an aluminum radiator into my car, but I plan on it in the future. Summit has a new generic "summit brand" aluminum radiator that is a two row with 1'' tubing design. The Be Cool generic fit and possibly the Griffin too (I am not sure) uses only one row of 1'' tubing.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 15th, 02, 03:29 AM
Senior Tech

Mark,

I chose the Be Cool/Spal setup and have no regrets. Easy install and polishing was a snap also.

Take care,

Elmer

------------------
1969 Camaro RS Convertible
406 SBC Accel Superram, 700R4, 3.55 12 bolt
DSE Modified Wayne Due suspension, 17" Budnik Prisms, Baer 13" 4 wheel discs, Recaro SRD's, Custom Detroit Speed dash
http://communities.msn.com/TheBearHunt/

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 15th, 02, 07:11 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Hey Elmer, What did that run you(the radiator) if you dont mind me asking? Also I love your car the dash especially. I have emailed kyle and stacey trying to get them to try my automotive upholstery . Its the nuts and cant beat the price! Anyways did this radiator have provisions for the trans for cooling?
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 15th, 02, 07:28 AM
Senior Tech

I honestly don't remember exactly but it was about $500 for the radiator and $180 for the fan with relay. My rad was ordered as a for a manual trans because I did not want to run the trans fluid thru the radiator. I have two external trans coolers that are more than adequate and keep the engine that much cooler. In 90` heat, the car doesn't get over 190`.

Kyle mentioned to me last week that a dash insert should be available shortly. It won't be exactly like mine, but will be much better than the OEM.

Thanks.

Elmer

------------------
1969 Camaro RS Convertible
406 SBC Accel Superram, 700R4, 3.55 12 bolt
DSE Modified Wayne Due suspension, 17" Budnik Prisms, Baer 13" 4 wheel discs, Recaro SRD's, Custom Detroit Speed dash
http://communities.msn.com/TheBearHunt/
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 15th, 02, 08:48 AM
BC
Senior Tech

Lightbulb

Mark,
there was a discussion not long ago on the Chevelle board about using a mid-80's truck/van radiator in our early cars. There radiators come in all different sizes and feature the plastic reservoirs and aluminum tubing/fins for better cooling. There was also an average weight savings of over 17 lbs versus the typical three core stock-type radiator. Might be something to consider as you can get most of those radiators for under $175. There are several companies on the internet that you can get the dimensions and such off of so you can custom fit one if desired.

Hope that helps,
Bill C.

------------------
Bill C.
Colorado Springs, CO

68 Camaro... someday!
71 Chevelle SS
70 Nova
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 15th, 02, 09:23 AM
Senior Tech

Mark,

I put a BeCool with SPAL electric fans in mine. Follow the link in my sig. for pics. With the fans it ran $1100. Well, well worth it. I went alittle bigger than their standard system since I plan to put the factory A/C back together.

When going with electric fans, you may want to also think about upgrading the electrical system to a 100+ amp alternator.

Good Luck!

------------------
Keith
'69 RS/SS 502
[email protected]
http://briefcase.yahoo.com/awsm502
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 16th, 02, 12:46 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Thanks to you all especially mark and elmer. Great pics mark I love what youve done. Hey elmer, any word on what the new insert will cost?
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 16th, 02, 08:59 AM
Tech Team

Thumbs up

I donít have an aluminum radiator in the Camaro but have had experience with Be-Cool. My C5 Corvette did run a bit warm, Be-Cool advertised a significant temperature drop and it was true. It was a good product and did everything they said. I purchased mine from Summit.

------------------
RickM
67 SS (TPI) "Almost Running"
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 16th, 02, 04:12 PM
Senior Tech

Try this site
http://www.alumrad.com/chevy.html

I've had one in my 67 for over a year with the 383. I drove it all summer w/no fan shroud and it only got up to 210 once.

I run an external trans cooler, which I think makes a difference.

Anyway they are really cheap (i think it was less than $200).

Tony

------------------
obnoxious 67 camaro under construction. TH350/383 stroker w/ aluminum Edlebroc RPM heads,cam, and carb.This is a "Daily Driver" that need A LOT of work. Next project will be lowered springs new shocks and Guldstrand mod.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode