If I want an "RS" is it worth it to do the conversion or look for an original? - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2001 General Tech questions from 2001
Replies ONLY, no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 02, 10:42 AM Thread Starter

I was just looking in the Classic Industries catalog and never realized the RS's have different fenders also. After seeing that I was thinking it might be smarter to find an original RS rather than trying to make one down the road. Whatcha guys think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 02, 11:02 AM
Senior Tech

It can go both ways..Sometimes even when you find a real RS, most of te stuff will need replacement anyway. Also, converting the fenders to RS is a matter of adding a simple, inexpensive bracket...One the other hand, if you want a 67, I'd definitly FIND a real RS rather than converting one because they're coded 3L on the trim tag..I know, no big deal, but when you go to sell and someone doesn't see the 3L, they'll know you converted it AND wonder what else you've done to the car they don't know about..EVEN if you ONLY convert it to RS..See what I mean..?

Gary
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 02, 12:56 PM
Senior Tech

If you convert, you also have to drill the inner fenders for the bell cranks.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 02, 01:21 PM
Tech Team

For a small "consoltation" Fee I will go with you to look at these pieces of junk you are considering. "Hey what's this?? Looks like wet undercoating in the rear fender-wells." or "so you say it's your brother's friend whose name is on this title? Why don't I call MY brother the cop and have him check out this cars history out while we wait for the frame check"

This is a good moto for car buyers....

Don't trust nobody except your mother and even she might be lying......
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 02, 07:33 AM
Senior Tech

Tim,

I've been following your posts searching for a car. You do have the fever bad like someone posted before. IMO the biggest thing you can do right now is to be patient. The right car, at the right price, will come around. Follow these rules:

1. Know exactly what you want!
2. Do your homework
3. Have the cash!
4. Don't jump on the first car you find.
5. Remember steps 1-4!!

Trust me, you will be disappointed in your purchase later if you compromise. I know from experience. I've owned 4 1st Gens over the years. I love these cars, as all of us on this board do, but some people are only out to make a buck, and right now you are an easy target.

We all hope you find that right car at the right price.....chill....and you will!

------------------

Dean

Racer#00

67 Camaro (Almost done!)
76 Trans Am Stock Car
68 Dodge D-100 P/U
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 02, 07:29 PM
Tech Team

That my friend, is some excellant advice! I'd print that and carry it in your wallet. When you go to look at a possible purchase, take it out and look at it. I wish I'd had that advice when I was looking for mine. I did jump on the first one and I'm spending a bunch on restoring it that I could be spending on doing what I want to it. I have way too many sentimental memories in that car now to toss it aside and look for a better candidate. But.....I'd be money ahead even now if I could.

------------------
Doug Gulley
'69 RS
383 TPI (soon)
World Class T5
3.73 posi

Without Trucks, America Stops!!!
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 02, 09:18 PM Thread Starter

Yeah I know what you guys are saying. My first car was a standard model '70 Camaro 307 powerglide! Anyway...it was a joke and I had big plans but no way to fullfill them and no one to help at the time. It was a good car, it ran strong every day for a year with over 280k miles on it, original motor and tranny! Buuut. Ultimately it needed too much work and I couldnt do it at that time.

I will follow your advice and be patient.

And it so happens that I might work out a deal to buy a little daily driver cheap off of a co-worker. That way i can sell my Iroc, have transportation, AND look for the '69.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode