350 Blower on a 305? - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2001 General Tech questions from 2001
Replies ONLY, no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 02, 02:47 PM Thread Starter

I was thinking of adding a 350 Detroit Blower to my 90 Camaro RS. It is fuel injection. What would have to be done to hook it up?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 02, 12:50 AM
Senior Tech
TJ

Well, my friend, I truely don't think that supercharging is the route to follow with a 305. You would be saving yourself a lot of coin, plus a lot of headache, if you just made that engine pump out its max. Naturally, this would involve better flow, so you may be wise to check out the other "305" topics on this site; just search for it using the "search" feature at the top of the page.

Honestly, although this may be strictly my personal opinion, to supercharge a 305 and expect anything great is nonsensical. You would probably see more performance gain by going with a larger displacement small block, all the meantime keeping the price below what it would cost to purchase a supercharger. Really, a 350 is a nice building platform that costs next to nothing. While a 305 CAN produce da juice, it just is not worth the hassle when you can get what you want from a larger cube engine.

However, if you insist on a blower with your 305, then yeah, you can hook up anything from a Paxton to a Wiand on a small block, but don't, not even for an instant, think that it will make your ride into a killer beast or anything. More than likely, you will gain bragging rights, a slight performance increase, and the shidder is that you also get an engine that will wear out in an instant. With this in mind, you are also better off "bragging rights" wise if you have a 12 second car that has NO nitrous, NO supercharger, and that YOU built at home.

These are my thoughts, not yours,
BW
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Jan 19th, 02, 07:26 AM
Senior Tech

if you put a blower on the 305, you can then start building a stout 350 or something to take advantage of the blower, and just transfer it over to the new motor. a blown small block can be intense.

------------------
1971 Nova(looks like 69 camaro from underneath!)
355sb, vortec heads, HOT cam,T-10 tranny, 3.70 gears 16X8" IROC wheels
see pics here http://community.webshots.com/user/novaderrik

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Jan 20th, 02, 06:02 AM
Senior Tech

I wouldnt waste my money .. buy a 350 and get the same effect. thats what I did,

the only thing a blower will do for a 305 is wear it out fast. those engines arent designed (without wasting alot of $$) for the umph, they are low flow "economy" small blocks. TBI is even worse. your best bet and mose gain would be to increase the flow. you can gain as much as 60 hp with a new cam, heads and intake set from Edelbrock. top that off with a fogger NOS system for a little kick if you need it, and it would be fine.

but even better, and cheaper and less hassle, would be to plop a 350 in it. everything bolts up to it the same. and if it made you feel better, still them em it was a 305...

------------------
Chris's 67 RS 327,can be seen at http://www.67rs.com
check out another site once in a while! http://www.fbodyconnection.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode