READ AND RESPOND REALITY CHECK!! - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2001 General Tech questions from 2001
Replies ONLY, no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 02, 10:03 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Saw this article on the web and had to respond. Should send this to the horse power tv people who show more and more focus on foreign car specials. READ AND RESPOND!!

Ford and GM's
contributions to the relief and recovery efforts in New York and
Washington are as follows......

1. Ford- $1 million to American Red Cross matching employee
contributions of the same number plus 10 Excursions to NY Fire Dept.
The
company also offered ER response team services
and office space to displaced government employees.

2. GM- $1 million to American Red Cross matching
employee contributions of the same number and a fleet of vans, suv's,
and trucks.

3. Daimler Chrysler- $10 million to support of the children and victims
of the Sept. 11 attack.

4. Harley Davidson motorcycles- $1 million and 30 new motorcycles to the
New York Police Dept.

5. Volkswagen-Employees and management created a Sept 11 Foundation,
funded initial with $2 million, for the assistance of the children and
victims
of the WTC.

6. Hyundai- $300,000 to the American Red Cross.

7. Audi-Nothing.

8. BMW-Nothing.

9. Daewoo-Nothing.

10. Fiat-Nothing.

11. Honda- Nothing despite boasting of second best sales month ever in
August 2001

12. Isuzu-Nothing.

13. Mitsubishi-Nothing.

14. Nissan-Nothing.

15. Porsche-Nothing. Press release with condolences via the Porsche
website.

16. Subaru-Nothing.

17. Suzuki-Nothing.

18. Toyota- Nothing despite claims of high sales in July and August
2001. Condolences posted on the website. Toyota recently
settled in BILLIONS of dollars to that shakedown
criminal Jesse Jackson. They also gave one of Jackson's
henchmen a fat contract. The cost of settling with Jackson's
shakedown will be passed on to the sucker that buys a Toyota.

Whenever the time may be for you to purchase or lease a new vehicle,
keep this information in mind. You might want to give more consideration to
a
car manufactured by an American-owned and / or American based company.
Apart from Hyundai and Volkswagen, the foreign car companies contributed
nothing at all to the citizens of the United States. It's OK for these
companies to take money out of this country, but it is apparently not
acceptable to return some in a time of crisis. I believe we should not
forget things like this. Say thank you in a way that gets their attention.

Pass it on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 02, 01:04 AM
Senior Tech
TJ

Are you getting at something here?

For the record, "Mech Works", my company, = nothing

Does this make me or my company inferior or something? Or am I just non-American?

Whatcha tryin' to prove here man? Best watch your step, as not everyone is obligated to "give" to the U.S.! By the same token, the U.S is not "obligated" to give to anyone, but they do. With this in mind, your statement is similar to bitching at a hobo because he did not reciprocate accordibng to your donation. Kinda unbalances the playing field dontcha think? If you expect to be rewarded for your compassion, then it was never truely "compassion" in the first place, but rather a plot to lever yourself into a position where you are "owed" something, and upon which you may capitalize at a later date. I, for one, trust the U.S. government is beyond such childish plots, and believe their efforts are genuine. Even if not, I highly doubt that any sort of juvenile "revenge" would ever be sought in such case.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 02, 02:35 AM
Senior Tech
Dave

Hey Breathweapon I don't think Mark was trying to prove anything, He was just stating the facts. Beside nothing was given to the US as you stated it was given to the Red Cross and the people of New York City, and YES my company American Electric Power matched employee contributions to the tune of 800,000 dollars.We don't want any recognition just trying to help out a fellow AMERICAN.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 02, 03:43 AM

I don't think that Mark is trying to promote revenge against companies who haven't donated money to the Red Cross or other charitable organizations. None of the money has been donated to the U.S. by the way. The point is that many companies have given money to various charities designed to help victims of the September 11th tragedy. These companies have not done so out of obligation, but out of compassion. Many other companies have chosen not to donate money. These companies are well within their rights not to do so, that's one of the many great things about this country. On the other hand, I also have the right to spend my money whereever and however I please, so in some small way if I buy a Chevy, Ford, Dodge, or a product from any other company that has donated money, then I too am helping out those same tragic victims. That doesn't make the other companies inferior, it just means that sometimes when you buy a product you're also getting a little something else in return.

Thanks,

John
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 02, 04:01 AM
Senior Tech
Ray

My only comment is that you can't believe everything you read on the web.

I know that BMW donated vehicles and motorcycles right after Sept. 11.

Ray
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 02, 04:03 AM
Senior Tech
Ray

Oops, duplicate post

[This message has been edited by 68SSConvt (edited 01-18-2002).]
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 02, 04:19 AM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
The only problem I have is that Mark is using this site to take on a TV show!! If you don't like the show don't watch it!! The fact that a company did or didn't contribute (or an individual for that matter) should have no bering on who you choose to do business with or associate with. If it does then America is truly repressed!! Freedom of choice, freedom of life, liberty and the persuit of happiness... etc...

post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 02, 05:08 AM
Tech Team

guys maybe we should cool it before this gets out of hand
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 02, 09:46 AM
Team Member
John

Regardless of your personal philosophy on the subject, the following link dispels the story as mostly bogus, and shows the actual contributions from automotive manufacturers:
http://www.snopes2.com

Click on "Rumors of War", and you'll find it about halfway down the list with a white bullet in the margin.

------------------
JohnZ
CRG
'69 Z28 Fathom Green
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old Jan 19th, 02, 12:53 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

WOW,WOW,WOW.
Let me clarify something. FIrst of all Just as it is there right not to contribute to the cause it is my right to express my opinion about how I feel about it. As many of you said it is a free country, so bashing me for posting this article doesnt make you any better or worse than me posting it. As for the BLAMING the hobo story, DUde I dont see hobos making billions on sales every year selling non american products to americans every day. The only point Im making is that we always are the first ones to help any other country out in the world. American companies make contributions to many organizations for other countries.But when the chips are down in this country , none of them step up to the plate. I believe in AMERICA first. Buy the american products and support your country. Probably gonna get bashed again so this is the last Ill say on the matter.As far as horsepower tv goes, can any of you honestly say you like when they put the ridiculous segments on little foreign cars with there body kits and neon lights? PLEASE!
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old Jan 19th, 02, 03:37 AM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
Mark - You truly mis-understand! This is a privatly owned and supported site and the content posted here can be controled by the owner or persons appointed to act as proxy. Your content has nothing to do with first generation or classic Camaros. If the content does not stay in context of the site it's subject to removal.

That said get a grip! Check this out! www.ford.com Right at the top of the page Ford is Volvo, Mazda, Jaguar, Aston Martin and Land Rover. Don't forget about Chevrolet, the Metro (Geo) and a lot of their cars and trucks are made in Canada and have you ever seen a "Hecho-en-Mexico" on a 350 SBC? I have!! Oh then theres Daimler Chrysler, do names like Daimler and Renault sound familiar?

What's made in the US is so blured, Toyota and Nissian build cars in the US and employ US citizens! Your rant is mis-guided Mark, And when folks do as you ask you're insulted!! "READ AND RESPOND" You were looking for afermation and didn't get it! Time to think about why!!

Take a look at this, www.tearsforfreedom.com/tribute/tribute.htm and don't close it before it's finished!! It's about people not money. Being in the US and expecting handouts from other countries is like Bill Gates standing on the street conner in front of his Washington State home with a sign "Will work for food" When you're the richest country in the world it's silly to expect forign aid. Even as the relif fund is collecting for the 9-11 victims our government and the Red Cross is sending aid to Afganistan! I guss maybe you want folks to boycott the US for doing that!

And the least important part of this, a TV show whos content you don't like!! So out of 5 shows 2 are about imports! Take the show off the air cause you don't care for imports and you don't have a car show at all!! Shows like that are clever infomercials anyway. Is your life such that the content of Hot Rod TV prompts you to start a rant like your post here?

I hope for your sake it's just cabin fever!! Can I drink a cup of coffee now?
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old Jan 19th, 02, 06:53 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
scott

How would you like to be Toyota and end up with a billion dollar shakedown from Jessie instead of a million dollar donation to the people of New York.

------------------
SCOTT
69 RS-SS 396 4-SPEED
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old Jan 19th, 02, 12:31 PM
Senior Tech
Steven

A commitment to Affirmative Action and Diversity is not a shakedown . You would be hard pressed to find any major company or corporation that doesn't promote and subscribe to similar policies and practices. Unforunately, some companies only did it after laws went into effect requiring it and Not Toyota, or any other company would agree to such a plan unless they did have some short-comings in their practices. That being said, we were all Americans before 9/11/2001 . The tragedy of 9/1/2001 doesn't excuse any company from prior bad acts... My family, my church, my childrens' schools have all made contributions to various 9/11 relief funds.. We have also contributed to United Way, Vietnam Vets, Salvation Army and others ... While the New York tragedy stands out, there are many states/counties/cities/communities that need help ... Why do some people/companies need a tragedy to contribute ? Why, because it makes good press ... If it was only about helping American, some of these same companies would not at the same time be sending jobs out of the country... But, back to the orginal point .. Jesse jackson is not a shakedown artist ... Nor is Jesse Helms a racist ... They are Americans with different priorities ... However, unless you have experienced what they have experienced and/or promoted, then you may have a problem understanding their point of view ... All most people want if equal opporunity ... Not every one gets it ... And if enyone is confused that this is a black/white issue, you can include Hispanics, Asian, Native Americans, women, gays, etc... or as I said before, All Americans...
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old Jan 20th, 02, 01:30 AM
Senior Tech
TJ

I disagree with "flag waving" of any sort. It is one thing to be supportive of your country and all, but to step up and come across as an elitist is not something I can swallow. With this in mind, I find it hard to place blame on anyone for not contributing to the causes of the sept 11 tragedy, no matter where they may live. As stated above, some companies will use an event like this as a form of publicity and look like the "good guy" by donating. I feel that those who are genuine in their donations remain anonymous; or at least do not expect some sort of recognition for their "good deeds". At least companies who did not donate were honest and truthful in their decision not to fork over the cash, with no false pretenses or deceptive ploys for advertising. If I gave blood in support of the September 11 crisis, do you think I would go around bragging about it to everyone so they thought I was Mr. Nice Guy? If I did that, I would look like quite the turd, don't you agree? Same applies to companies and organizations who donate to charities and such; they must be genuine in their intensions, thats all. So to complain about certain companies "not donating" is very narrow minded as far as I am concerned. For all you know, maybe they DID, but chose not to make an ad campaign out of it all.
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old Jan 20th, 02, 08:06 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

DjD,
You probably dont have the balls to let this post. I just wanted to post a topic that would bring out different opinions on the matter. Instead I got bashed O.K. I can take it, but you should not be the administrator of this site. You use your power over this site to stress your own opinions and if anyone disagrees or doesnt bend over for you, then they need to get a grip or you close the thread. Heres a post for you , let this go on and see how many people disagree with how you handle things on this board? But like I said probably dont have the balls to let this post and will probably close the thread before anyone can respond. Doesnt surprise me thought. Use to love this site but has gone down hill. My apologies to everyone else. c ya
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode