Auxiliary cooler for a automatic - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2001 General Tech questions from 2001
Replies ONLY, no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 02, 05:38 AM
stenn5

Question

After taking all the great info from you guys I cantacted Bowtie Overdrives and after talking to Steve I have some questions for all of you, he sated that you need the cooler in your radiator even if you run a auxiliary cooler, "I don't advise our customers to use auxillary coolers as primary coolers. Using them in addition to the radiator heat exchanger is great insurance to prevent overheating. Using them as primary coolers is not a good idea as they are not as effective as the ones used in radiators. This is very easy to demonstrate with a temperature gauge."
So what are your opinons on this and who runs what and how does it work?
Also DJD, Why did you go with the 700R4 over the 200R4?
Thanks for all your help guys,
Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 02, 06:56 AM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
Every shop has a prefrence and supports what has worked for them. If Bruce (WE) or transfixleo spoke up (both are tranny guys that stop in from time to time) they may disagree with Steve. I would do what the guy backing the tranny says to do. (good advice with any mechanical part or parts if you want the warrantee honored) I may be wrong here but I recall transfixleo doesn't like using the radiator core at all. I know this gets real confusing to guys like you and I, just wanting something that's gonna work.

As far as my choice being a 700r4, I already had a TH400. That made the install of the 700r4 easier. I read a lot about the 2 trannys in the mags as well as looked through the archives and 2 years ago 2004r's were thought to be the weaker of the two although I think it was the cusp or turning point and guys like Bruce started surfacing with some inovative mods that produced stronger 2004r's than in the past. I believe Bruce and his shop actually are producing in-house the state of the art 2004r performance pieces needed to make a killer OD tranny. I digress!!

I found a local tranny guy that came highly recomended to me. He learned about building trannys in a performance shop but when he went into business for himself he got out of the performance side because the market was too small. He does conversions as well as builds and had just finished converting 100 or so older chevy work trucks from TH400's( or ?) to 700r4's for some large business. His prefrence was the 700 and I went with that!! I did use Steve's shop for the shiftworks stuff and his TV made ez and a converter. I got lots of support from him and recomend him highly. Many here have personal dealings with Bruce and I feel he is also a stand up business guy and tranny builder!! I don't have knowledge of transfixleo's shop but can say he always speaks professionally here and his advice seems solid.

My builder felt the radiator cooler was fine for my application but I added an external cooler and he wasn't opposed.

Ultimatly you need to select the right shop or person that you feel can do the job. Once you do stick with their recomdations as they are the ones that will back you if there is a problem!!

I lean toward Steve as you have a need to to keep from making major modifications and from the do it yourself side of things he has packaged the conversion into kits taking the fuss out of doing it. It's easy to get a new drive shaft and radiator and set the factory parts aside for safe keeping...

------------------
...Dennis
"The '69, the '96 & the club"

[This message has been edited by DjD (edited 01-18-2002).]
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 02, 07:23 AM
Senior Tech
Royce

The cooler in your radiator does two things, 1. It cools the transmission fluid and 2. it warms up the fluid. This is the reason you should always run an inside the radiator cooler. If you don't your transmission will not warm up in cooler weather and there is no way to control the heat. The water temp in the radiator will of course warm up the tranny and keep it regulated (via the thermostat in the block). If you run a higher stall speed (and I do) you will also want to run an aux. cooler. Even when you run an aux cooler you want to make sure the fluid goes through the radiator and the aux cooler. As Dennis said do what your tranny guy suggests cause when or if things go bad he will be the guy that has to answer to it. Of course if you get a race or performance tranny built you probably won't have a warranty anyways.

Royce

------------------
70 Camaro 383ci
69 Camaro 385ci
2000 GMC Z71
Link to my 70

http://profiles.yahoo.com/camaroman7d

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 02, 07:58 AM
Senior Tech
Mark

The problem with using just an auxilliary oil cooler is not that you can't remove enough heat with them, it that you can remove to much heat.

I don't think the term "as effective" relating to the auxilliary coolers themselves is what the guy ment to say. I'm sure that the 10"x 1" plate type heat exchanger that I used to run in my Bronco II had at least 5 or 6 times the cooling capacity of the copper tube inside the radiator or the truck. The use of this cooler by itself would result in an overcooling of my transmission, which is almost worse than overheating a transmission.

A transmission, just like any mechanical component cooled or lubricated with a fluid, is designed to operate at a specific temperature band. If you overcool it you can't drive off any moisture that happens to get into the transmission, and the fluid will become contaminated.

Always run a cooler in line with the existing cooler in your radiator. and have the transmission send the fluid to the aux coller first, and then to the radiator cooler. This way if the first cooler does remove to much heat, the radiator can add it back in.

------------------
Mark Canning
1969 Indy Pace Car
350/300HP RPO Z11
My 69 L48 - 350/300HP Engine
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode