Tech 2001 General Tech questions from 2001
Replies ONLY, no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 50 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 02, 03:43 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Matt

Exclamation

WOW!!!
I just saw a 67 Camaro Ss Yenco on this Auction on speed vision go for $110,000. Wish I had one of those.
regei Jackson was there and said out of the 54 they made there is maybe 20 left.
The auction is on tomorrow if you want to see what some nice rides are selling for.
My wife thinks I have something in the garage now. HA HA I ain't selling.

------------------
67 Camaro 350 4sp PDB Hotchkis suspension
building it my way!!
[email protected]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 50 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 02, 04:09 PM
Senior Tech

Yes I saw that! Makes me kick myself for all the "plain" SS cars I could have bought 20 years ago!
post #3 of 50 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 02, 04:25 PM
Tech Team

Unhappy

I saw a few mor Camaros go through the block. It kind of makes me mad though because these millionaires are the only ones who can afford cars like these and therefore it drives up the prices of all muscle cars to the point were working stiffs such as most of us are, can't afford to buy the cars anymore. Some of these guys appreciate these cars but most didn't know what a Camaro was ten years ago. Just Venting.

John

post #4 of 50 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 02, 04:35 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jack

I just got home from a smaller auction in Scottsdale. There was a 69 ZL1, 69 Berger Z28 and a 69 yenko but they were not up for bid yet. The musclecar prices are way up still. A decent 67 shelby sold for 64,000, 67 427 corvette for 85,000. Street rods were not bidding as high as last year. Barrett-Jackson in the morning........
post #5 of 50 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 02, 05:13 PM
Senior Tech

Talking

of the top 5 car prices - the Yenko for $110k and a '69 copo for $73k - WOW .... must be nice to spend that kind of cash on a car.... I guess I'll go work on the $2,300 '66 El Camino project I'm working on...

------------------
Steve
My Cars
post #6 of 50 (permalink) Old Jan 19th, 02, 04:20 AM
Senior Tech
Tim

I agree that these Camaros are fetching far too much money for the good of the hobby and the "common man." But, on the other hand, it's all supply and demand. The thing that really bothers me is that some (most??) of the overpriced cars wind up in the hands of overzealous wealthy guys who don't really appreciate or understand their Camaro. I am tired of arguing the fact that there is no such thing as an SS 327, Yenko Z-28... Also, how do these guys always know that their's is "1 of 4 made" (apart from the obvious). By the way, can you tell I'm just whining because I'm not out there this weekend buying my dream car?
post #7 of 50 (permalink) Old Jan 19th, 02, 05:39 AM

Thumbs up

Guys,
Let's face it if you or I hit the lottery tommorrow we would be right up there with Reggie bidding on the Yenkos,COPOS,Baldwin-Motions,Bergers,Nickeys,Official Pace Cars, 67 427 VETTES, 55 Nomads,etc.etc
One difference---we would really appreciate them- and probably wax the paint right off the fenders!
Ron
post #8 of 50 (permalink) Old Jan 19th, 02, 06:15 AM
Tech Team

Reggie Jackson's 69 COPO Camaro sold for $45,000, I wish I had the money...

------------------
Ricky
68/RS on Blocks...
post #9 of 50 (permalink) Old Jan 19th, 02, 06:26 AM
Senior Tech
Jeff

With the stock market being as weak as it has been, investors are looking at other areas to make money and rare musclecars are one of those investments. I'm not one of the wealthy investors, but I bought a 69 Z28 JL8 car a couple of years ago (took a loan against my 401K) so I'm glad some of the rare high performance cars are increasing in price so I know I'll be protected against a potential loss when my car is finally finished. I'm kicking myself for not buying one of the matching # COPO's I found 2-1/2 years ago for $37K. But, I couldn't have gotten the loan for it anyway. Stay within your means and do the best you can.

------------------
Jeff H - 93 Indy 500 Pace Car(supercharged) & driven daily, Hugger Orange 69 Z28 with JL8 brakes, cross-ram & GM fiberglass hood, TI setup, heater and radio delete, being restored
post #10 of 50 (permalink) Old Jan 19th, 02, 07:22 AM
Senior Tech

Have you noticed when a car sales for 20 grand, the commentators refer to it as someone getting a "toy" for not alot of money. I guess to those buyers, 20 thousand is not a lot. Oh well, money isnt everything.
I still enjoy my 69! Its not worth a fortune, but it is the only one ever built(by me!).
post #11 of 50 (permalink) Old Jan 19th, 02, 07:48 AM

Does anyone know what is the highest bid for a Camaro was from any auctionhouse?

------------------
1991 Z/28 350tpi (red ext/grey int)1973 Camaro Z/28(project car)
mods:MAC exhaust/headers,SLP runners,Transgo kit,Hypertech Streetrunner chip,K&N filters
member of GULFSOUTH FIREBIRD/CAMARO CLUB (NEW ORLEANS)
post #12 of 50 (permalink) Old Jan 19th, 02, 07:55 AM
Senior Tech
Chris

Jeff I did the same thing except I bought my car before buying a house. I saved for years to get what I wanted and I'm happy. I figured if I waited I would never be able to afford it. I think I was right.

The first gen Camaro is becoming THE collectible car to have from the 60's with the exception of the Corvette. It's got everything a potential collector could want, timeless styling inside and out, a terrific choice of drive train for any collector, you can get a nimble road car or drag strip brawler. There is a Camaro for everyone. The Camaro market will be strong for years to come.

------------------
'69 RS SS 396 375hp L78 Convertible, M22, 3.31 posi, deluxe interior, gauges, rosewood wheel, AM-FM, fold down seat, tilt wheel, Torque Thrust Wheels, console mounted 8 track player, chambered exhaust, locking gas cap
COMING SOON Corvette tripower, small body HEI, and maybe "842" aluminum heads
post #13 of 50 (permalink) Old Jan 19th, 02, 10:38 AM
Senior Tech

$160,000 for a 70 LS6 chevelle convert ..yikes.. they said the guy spent 150k on the resto. that is a lot of cash for something that will likely never see the road again..

------------------
1971 Nova(looks like 69 camaro from underneath!)
355sb, vortec heads, HOT cam,T-10 tranny, 3.70 gears 16X8" IROC wheels
see pics here http://community.webshots.com/user/novaderrik
post #14 of 50 (permalink) Old Jan 19th, 02, 11:14 AM
BBS
Tech Team

Question

Can someone tell me seriously, how and where do you put $150,000. into a LS6 Chevelle Convertable restoration? Don't get me wrong, I love the car, but I just can't see where that expense comes from.
post #15 of 50 (permalink) Old Jan 19th, 02, 12:15 PM
Senior Tech

when you start getting all the "correct" parts, it adds up. $200 belt, $800 radiator, and on and on. shop labor aint cheap, and it can take thousands of hours to tear a car apart and put it back together. add all that onto a car that was probably a $50k "basket case", and 150k is easy to get to.
if i spent $160,000 for that car at that auction, i would have it out in the parking lot making black donuts in the pavement... i bet about 3/4 of the people there would have a heart attack!!! someday, when i win the lottery...

------------------
1971 Nova(looks like 69 camaro from underneath!)
355sb, vortec heads, HOT cam,T-10 tranny, 3.70 gears 16X8" IROC wheels
see pics here http://community.webshots.com/user/novaderrik
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode