69 Reproduction hell - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2001 General Tech questions from 2001
Replies ONLY, no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 19th, 02, 12:00 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Angry

Been working on my car a good bit in the last week because i bought a lot of parts needed to get the restoration rolling. I'm about sick at my stomach now every time I start to try and bolt on another part! It seems that just about everything is different in some way or another making it hell to install! It's even on some parts that have the GM authorized reproduction sticker on the box!

I've first had my woes with some of my hideway headlight stuff that still isn't worked out yet(had to send back some defects). Now i'm fighting the clutch linkage setup. I bought a complete kit for a big block setup. My car still had the pedal and rod that goes from the pedal to bellcrank. All it was missing was the bellcrank, the rod from there to the clutch fork, and the block and frame pivot balls. The rod from the pedal to Z bar was a lot shorter than the original (small block car). When it is all bolted up the rod hits the top of the hole in the firewall and binds it down more than a return spring will pull back. I have no engine in the car right now but I put mounts on a bare block and bolted up a bellhousing and fork to see if it all lines up. It doesn't appear like the rod from the pedal to zbar is going to be long enough. There's a lot of distance to the fork for that little adjustment threaded rod. The rod thats already there with the car seems to be too long! I'm not sure about this since the test setup has no flywheel or clutch/pp on it. I'm pretty sure I'll have to bend this rod to miss hitting the top of the hole in the firewall. It makes me sick to have to alter brand new parts that I paid a decent penny for.

Anyone ran into this problem before and what was the solution? This kit was a complete kit from pedal rod down to the return spring. It was purchased from NPD if that makes any difference. I believe (not sure untill I look again) the parts had a Classic Industries label on the box. Any help from you all is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance untill I have to ask another question when I bolt up the next part that probably won't fit right!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 19th, 02, 02:51 AM
Senior Tech
Dave

And I thuoght it was just me. Every machanical after market part I've bought I've had to work on to make it fit.It seems all these parts come from the same BIG supplier.If you can find NOS or used GM you will be money ahead because they fit.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 19th, 02, 04:17 AM
Gold Lifetime Member

Garage
bebanobub, what is the length difference with the 2 rods from the pedal to bellcrank? I have both setups down at the shop. I'm going down there later when it quits snowing, and I'll check the differences for ya. Maybe someone will have the answer before I get back. Oh yea, mine is 67, is there a difference between the years?

------------------
Steve
67 SS 396,4-sp
67 RS 327,4-sp
72 RS 350/350
69 4X4 suburban 350,4-sp
73 3/4 ton 454/400
Stevo Camaro's Toy
Our Muscle Cars

[This message has been edited by stevo camaro (edited 01-19-2002).]

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 19th, 02, 07:20 AM
Senior Tech

Bedanobud, I wouldn't make any alterations to any part until you get your engine in. There are quite a few variables here. Do you have the correct frame pivot bracket? (6 cyl and V8 different). The correct pedals? Is your subframe full mounted with new or good mounts? Is the kit FOR a BB car??? Also, when the lower bellcrank pushrod (threaded rod) is positioned correctly, it will be on an angle that looks incorrect..it mounts outside to inside to the bell crank. I've never had problems with repro "Z" bar parts..I suggest you make sure every part is compatible before going any further.

Gary
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 19th, 02, 07:37 AM
Senior Tech

didn't a 69 have a different pivot point on the clutch pedal, thus needing a bent rod to go thru the firewall? i think i might have read that somewhere- I'm thinking on David Pozzi's site maybe.

------------------
1971 Nova(looks like 69 camaro from underneath!)
355sb, vortec heads, HOT cam,T-10 tranny, 3.70 gears 16X8" IROC wheels
see pics here http://community.webshots.com/user/novaderrik
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 19th, 02, 07:58 AM
Senior Tech
Chris

I ordered some kick panel speakers over a year ago and they don't even fit. Now it's too late to send them back.

------------------
'69 RS SS 396 375hp L78 Convertible, M22, 3.31 posi, deluxe interior, gauges, rosewood wheel, AM-FM, fold down seat, tilt wheel, Torque Thrust Wheels, console mounted 8 track player, chambered exhaust, locking gas cap
COMING SOON Corvette tripower, small body HEI, and maybe "842" aluminum heads
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 19th, 02, 10:14 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

The rod, frame mount, and bellcrank are all changed with the parts in the kit. It was ordered for a 1969 big block car and the part # on the box matches the # in the catalog. The frame stands have been changed to correctly (supposedly) position the engine. The only thing that i'm not sure of is the pedal. It was in the car when I bought it so i'm guessing that it's the original one. The rod that was attached to the pedal was about 6" or so longer than the one in the kit. That would position the upper arm of the bellcrank at a lower position close to the steering column (but it doesn't hit the hole in the firewall though).The crappy diagram seems to show the upper arm of the bellcrank to be positioned straight up though. The old rod has an open hole at the end that attaches to the bellcrank. Looks like it used a pin and circlip to attach it or the original bellcrank had the tit made on it. The rod may have even supposed to go the other way! This was the way it was mounted when I took it out (like i said only the pedal and rod were in the car when I bought it). It was converted over to an auto.

I've tried to cover all the bases myself before asking for help. Just thought someone had run into this and some little oversight by me might correct the problem.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 19th, 02, 10:45 AM
Senior Tech
John

Bedanobub- I have a pedal to crank rod here for a 68 small (I think) block. It has pins on both ends and measures 12" center to center on the pins. I wouldn't think a big block would be much different. Is the one that came with your car a lot longer than this.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 19th, 02, 12:17 PM
Senior Tech

On the Repo parts it seem they would make a quality part that would work even if they had to charge a little more most people would not mind paying a little more for a good quality part instead of putting up with the head aches.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 19th, 02, 12:49 PM
Gold Lifetime Member

Garage
Red face

bedanobub, I'm sorry, I forgot to check. It was 23 degrees when I finally talked myself to going down. After a quik brake job for a friend, I slammed the door and ran home with frozen fingers. I'll give it another try tomorrow.

------------------
Steve
67 SS 396,4-sp
67 RS 327,4-sp
72 RS 350/350
69 4X4 suburban 350,4-sp
73 3/4 ton 454/400
Stevo Camaro's Toy
Our Muscle Cars

[This message has been edited by stevo camaro (edited 01-19-2002).]
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 19th, 02, 01:53 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Thanks Steve.. I measured the repro rod and it is approx 12-1/4" end to end. The old rod that was in the car measured about 16-1/2" and one end there is a round hole. There must have been a pin to connect it to the Zbar. Is there a big difference in the pedals for the 1rst gens? How could I tell if there is a different year pedal in my car (don't think it's likely). I've tried using my original frame mount and the new one with the same results. I thought that maybe the frame was sprung upwards a little in relation to the body because i have the front clip off. I've tried slightly jacking up the car right at the rear most part of the sub frame with no luck. The fenders were in perfect alignment with the doors before I removed them so i don't think it's a frame mount problem. I don't think mounting the pivot ball to the block is going to make a big deal with the clearance of the rod through the firewall. The only thing I know to do right now is to either bend the rod some or drill another hole in the zbar a little bit lower to clear the firewall hole. I'll wait a few days and see if any of you can come up with a solution.
Thanks again
Dan
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 19th, 02, 02:45 PM
Senior Tech
John

The factory rod that I have, does have a very slight (2-3 degree) bend about 3" from the end.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 20th, 02, 05:28 AM
Senior Tech

I bought a complete clutch linkage kit from
Rick's and it bolted right up,everything seemed to be perfect and it works great on my 69 w/smallblock,maybe you got the wrong kit or something. Good luck
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 20th, 02, 12:38 PM
Senior Tech

Before you get too excited make sure you have the correct frame and engine mounts. Also the correct crossmemder. The engine is off set about an inch on BB cars.

post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 20th, 02, 01:34 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Got all that stuff Oger and checked two and three times!! That really wouldn't affect the pedal rod hitting the top of the hole in the firewall but all that stuff is in place. I think maybe my pedal is the problem?? Checked a link to one of Davidpozzi's sights http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homep...ch_linkage.htm and he shows a 69 clutch pedal. Mine does not look like that nor does it look like the 67-68 ones i've looked at in catalogs. Actually the one he shows resembles the ones in the catalogs. I pulled my pedal out to check it out better. Viewing it as it would be in the car...from the pivot down about 1" or so it has a bend to the left (drivers side) then goes down another 1/2" to a bracket thats made on to the pedal. This bracket extends outward (toward you if sitting in the drivers seat) and upwards slightly about 2" or so out. This is where the hole is for the rod to connect. I have yet to see a picture of one that looks like this one. Is this a 69 pedal? If so it doesn't look like the one on Davidpozzi's sight. It looks correct untill you get up under the dash and compare this ones to the others. Now i'm really curious about this pedal. I can do some modifications and make the rod clear. I just didn't want to do that then find out some silly oversight by me caused me to alter the parts that would have worked to start with!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode