Found 3 69's- but which to buy? - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2001 General Tech questions from 2001
Replies ONLY, no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 19th, 02, 01:17 PM Thread Starter
Retired
Jim

Thanks to many folks here, Ive done my research over the last two years and now I find myself wondering which car to buy. Im open to suggestions from anyone on these:

1. 69 Indy pace camaro,matching #, power top
for $25,000 history of all owners or
2. 69 Indy pace, NOT matching #'s, manual top for $20,000, limited documentation or
3. 69 Indy pace, matching #'s with power top and better documentation for $30,000 at Volo.

How does a person filter this out to make the best decision possible for a nice driver that will hold its value and increase too?
Thanks for any input you folks might have.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 19th, 02, 01:33 PM
Senior Tech
Chris

Well I would start with the first one. It's only $5000 over the second, and is #'s matching which will help you if you sell it in the future. I like the complete owner history too. Is there any other documentation for it? The third one may be nice but since it's at a dealer then you know they probably paid the same or less than the asking price of the first car. It's probably also in similar shape or worse shape than the first one is. A dealer needs to make a profit to stay in business so keep that in mind.

A power top is not a big deal. I have a manual top and can put it down in 30 seconds by myself. If you would buy a bigger convertible than you may want a power top, but a Camaro is small enough that a manual top isn't needed.

------------------
'69 RS SS 396 375hp L78 Convertible, M22, 3.31 posi, deluxe interior, gauges, rosewood wheel, AM-FM, fold down seat, tilt wheel, Torque Thrust Wheels, console mounted 8 track player, chambered exhaust, locking gas cap
COMING SOON Corvette tripower, small body HEI, and maybe "842" aluminum heads
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 19th, 02, 01:48 PM
Gold Lifetime Member

Wink

Click,
I would be making comparisons between #'s 1 and 3. For that kind of money and the ability to have a choice, then the non matching car should be put aside.
Obviously, you would not buy either of them sight unseen, there may be the chance to get the dearer car for less $$$. It may be worth the extra money, but please go over them carefully and make a good assessment of their condition any things they will need. Weigh this up against the asking price.
LOL, great car to get.
Ken

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 19th, 02, 03:50 PM
Tech Team

i want the one with the 396
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 19th, 02, 04:21 PM
Senior Tech
Gary

I wish I had these problems . My choice would be between 1&3.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 19th, 02, 04:52 PM Thread Starter
Retired
Jim

Thanks for your comments so far guys, I was leaning towards #1 as the pics and list of restoration items is impressive. The Volo #3 is in excellent cond. as well but offers nothing in upgrades other than a dealer is selling it as you mentioned. I visited Volo in Nov. and it was fun but it takes $$$ to keep the doors open Im sure.
I have a cousin near the #1 car but he (fireman, wife cop) may not know much about cars to look for anything. So a 14 hour drive for me might be in the near future.
Does anyone know any Camaro experts near Detroit? Thats not far from the #1 car I mentioned here. Perhaps I could ask someone to go look at it for me for a fee?
Id like the 396 too but better mileage with a 350 right? hehe just kidding... who cares about mileage.
Thanks again.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 20th, 02, 12:06 AM
Senior Tech

I live just outside Detroit and I would be happy to look at this car for you without charge. My background is in body and paint work but I do not profess to be the world's best authority on Pace Cars. I can, however, look at any sheet metal repairs/replacements and determine if they were done properly as well as paint.
Perhaps we could prevail upon JohnZ for some help with the Detroit based car. It seems that he knows what need to be known on 1st Gens.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 20th, 02, 07:43 AM
Team Member
John

Before I'd spend that kind of money on a car, I'd want to have it checked out by a real expert, familiar with every aspect of the car and its documentation. I don't consider myself at that level in all areas, at least to the point of recommending purchase of one car vs. another and being confident about it. I would definitely recommend, however, that you give Jerry MacNeish a call (410-781-0418) and ask him to check out the car for you; his fee and expenses are a pittance compared to the cost of the car, and could save you a lot of grief and misery. The time to have an expert evaluate a car is BEFORE you buy it, not after.

------------------
JohnZ
CRG
'69 Z28 Fathom Green
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 20th, 02, 08:21 AM
Senior Tech
Gary

When I read Figmandz's post, I thought he was making a joke. But I just read your post in the tag team section.
All else being equal, go for the Big Block. It's rarer, and definately more valuable. More fun, in my opinion, too.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 20th, 02, 01:23 PM
Senior Tech

JOhnZ has the best suggestion in my opinion. These cars are classics for rust, and make sure that they have all the parts to go with....especially the shakers for a convertible.

First things first....wittle it down to two and do your homework.

Just my two sense.

------------------
STEVE JACK
ConceptOne Pulleys and Brackets
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode