What gears for this setup? - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2001 General Tech questions from 2001
Replies ONLY, no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Jan 19th, 02, 04:12 PM Thread Starter
Apprentice
Brett

What gears should I put in my 4 speed 69 camaro with this engine? The car will be a daily driver with very little or no track use. Here is the description of the engine given to me by the builder:

Chevy 350/375 Horsepower 4 Bolt Main. 9.5:1 compression ratio. Cylinder Head Casting #: 333882 (170cc intake runners, Outflow Camelhump "fuelies"). NEW PARTS: Speed Pro (Federal-Mogul) Hyperutectic Flat Top HP Pistons, Forged 5.7" Rods, Speed Pro (Federal-Mogul) Rings, Crane/Clevite 292 Hydrallic High Performance Camshaft, Clevite Lifters, Elgin High Performance Valve Springs (Z-28 Style), Clevite Rod/Main/Cam Bearings, Dynagear High Volume Oil Pump, Fel-Pro Gaskets, GM Valve Locks & Retainers, Valve Guides, Pioneer Brass Freeze Plugs, Melling Pushrods, Melling Oil Pump Pickup Screen, Melling Oil Pump Driveshaft, Oil Pan, Oil Pan Bolts, GM "Bowtie" Timing Cover, Timing Cover Bolts, Professional Products Power Plus High Performance 360 Degree Aluminum High Rise Single Plane Intake Manifold, Intake Manifold Bolts, Edelbrock/Carter 750 cfm Carb, HEI Distributor (with HP advance curve), Taylor High Performance Spark Plug Wires, AC-Delco Spark Plugs, Spark Plug Wire Looms, GM Head Bolts, Edelbrock Aluminum "Elite" Series Valve Covers & Air Cleaner, Valve Cover Studs, Water Pump, Water Pump Bolts, Water Pump/Upper Pulley Stud Kit, Upper/Lower Pulleys (for style long water pump), Harmonic Balancer, Harmonic Balancer Bolt/Washer Kit, Low Pulley Bolts, GM Oil Dipstick & Oil Dipstick Tube Holder, High Performance Fuel Pump, Fuel Pump Pushrod. MACHINE WORK (Block): Vat (clean completely inside & out), Magniflux (check for cracks), Bore/Hone, Check Main Caps for Alignment (Line Hone/Bore if necessary), Deck, Grind Crank, Resize Rods, Assemble. MACHINE WORK (Heads): Vat (clean completely), Magniflux (check for cracks), 3 Angle Competition Valve Job, Assemble.

Also what kind of torque should this engine make and where should I set my redline.

Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Jan 19th, 02, 06:04 PM
Senior Tech

Wink

That's a pretty snarly cam, but since you have a 4 speed you can cheat a little. I think 3.73 gears should put you in the drivers seat, that's if you have normal sized tires. You should be close to 410 lbs of torque, your intake will rob a little low end torque. Not sure what rockers you are running, if stock stamped rockers thats probably a weak link. You should be able to buz this baby to 6800. What kind of claims did your builder give you? Sounds like a good stong daily driver, with the exception of the cam may be on the big side but like I said having a 4-speed will help you out on that.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Jan 19th, 02, 07:10 PM

I would not use any gear over 3.23 since you are not driving it at the track. Too many RPMs would only put unessessary wear on your engine. as far as torque get a copy of desktop dyno and it will tell you everything you need to know even what gear to run

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Jan 19th, 02, 11:48 PM
Senior Tech

I tend to agree with Sneaky Pete. With a 292 cam and a single plane intake, you won't make any power at all under about 3000 RPM and it should rev pretty good. At 60 MPH and a 3.73 gear with a 26" tire, you will be spinning the motor at about 3300RPM. With a 28" tire, about 3050 RPM.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Jan 20th, 02, 03:28 AM
Senior Tech
John

that cam, the single plane manifold, and the 882 heads might not be the best for compatibility unless the heads have been given some work. I would say that the 882 heads may hold you back.

with that cam, I agree with a 3.73 gear.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode