the POS won't GO! - Page 2 - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2001 General Tech questions from 2001
Replies ONLY, no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old Jan 21st, 02, 03:10 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

UPDATE:

Just pulled the valve cover, I'm only working on the driver's side at this point because the popping was coming from the driver's side exhaust pipe. The spark plugs are pretty evenly tannish brown (I knew it was running rich) but the #5 spark plug is wet (gas). There also seems to be some sediment or something on the tip, which isn't too good of a sign. There doesn't seem to be any damage on the pushrods, valve springs or anything else I can see in the valve train. Maybe the spark plug just sucks. I got some extra ones in my garage so I'll replace it and see if it makes a difference. A friend of mine has a holley 750 DP that I can get for pretty close to nothing, do you think I should rebuild the edelbrock and see what I can do about it's tuning, or just put it on the shelf and use the holley?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old Jan 21st, 02, 04:06 PM
Senior Tech

EDELBROCK
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old Jan 21st, 02, 04:10 PM

I had simular problems an thinking back my
exaust made popping sounds before it just
stopped running .Thinking maybe a worn cam lobe or stuck valve was causing it but it
turned out to be the pickup coil.

post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old Jan 21st, 02, 04:28 PM

Lightbulb

sounds like the camshaft is the wrong duration for a 4 speed car. your cam could be for an automatic check this i think this could be your problem
post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old Jan 21st, 02, 06:16 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

check it tonight, one of the spark plugs was fouled, replaced it. ran alright then started running like crap again. Here's the new twist. The carb is an electric choke. Some guys put the thing together for me a while back and used a wire tie to hold the choke open. Shouldn't this make the car run a little lean? The car runs really rich, regardless of the adjustment screws. At this point I'm relatively certain that the problem, although made worse by the fouled plug, is in the carb. Would the wire tie holding the choke open be it, maybe dirt? I bought the rebuild kit but don't know when I'll have enough time to actually do it. After all this stuff with the carb and everything, the car won't even run right. And my girlfriend (of two years) and I broke up tonight.. what a day.
post #21 of 24 (permalink) Old Jan 22nd, 02, 02:58 AM

As usual, the guys here have given tons of good advice, but I have one more suggestion. Since you didn't put the motor together yourself, I wonder if your friends may have installed your camshaft a few degrees advanced when in fact the cam had a number of degrees of advance already ground in. I had a simiilar problem a few years ago with a cam that someone installed advanced when advance was ground in, I had a whopping 8 degrees of advance and it ran like a Russian wristwatch.

John
post #22 of 24 (permalink) Old Jan 22nd, 02, 04:05 AM

Since when is "Tannish Brown" spark plug color really rich?

If you can't get any adjustment out of the mixture screws, as a few people have stated, it may be a cam problem. Nothing against those who run Edelbrock carbs, BUT it seems like it's more a "streetrod"(ie. pretty chrome) carburetor, and not really all that great for performance and performance tuning. Holley's are messy to "tune" with the float bowl drainage, BUT they are EASY to modify and rebuild if necessary. Try a Holley and see what happens- get it running good and then LEAVE IT ALONE (I've learned that one the hard way)!! Holley is a WAY better carb, IMHO.

post #23 of 24 (permalink) Old Jan 22nd, 02, 05:17 AM
Senior Tech
Royce

lil_beast, one thing that hasn't been mentioned which would cause exactly what you are hearing and feeling is, if your valves are adjusted too tight. I assume this is a hydraulic cam (RV). The first thing I would do is adjust the valves, it is simple to do and "DOES" make a difference. I would bet you have an exhaust valve or two that are too tight (that is why you are getting the pooping in the exhaust), you also said you get it through the carb, which could mean you have a few intake valves that are too tight as well. 1/4 - 1/2 turn past zero lash is all you need with a hydraulic cam. There have been several posts on here that tell in detail how to adjust the valves, if you need help feel free to e-mail me. As far as the carb goes I personally think Holley is the only way to go with performance in mind, but you have a very mild engine so the Edelbrock should work (seems a little on the small side). Doesn't really sound like a carb problem to me though. Once you adjust you valves I would move on to checking the timing. Check to see how much advance you are getting and when it is coming in. If you have a stuck advance in the dist. it would also cause the type of sluggish performance you are feeling. Make sure the vacuum diagphram is not bad also.

Royce

------------------
70 Camaro 385ci
69 Camaro (soon to be 6" rod 355 backed by a T56)
2000 GMC Z71

http://hobbystage.net/camaro/camaroman7d/
post #24 of 24 (permalink) Old Jan 22nd, 02, 06:18 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

thanks for the great advice everyone. day three puts me at this: the engine runs a lot better now that I changed all the spark plugs, because the #5 was dead. The crappy idle, hesitation, and everything else was the result of a stuck float bowl (not sure how it's spelled) which probably occurred due to the fact that there were no fuel filters on the car. It runs a lot better now, but I think the secondary is sticking pretty good because the thing pulls better below 3000 rpm than it does above. I think I'm gonna go with the 750 DP and just try to tune it down so it works. I'm getting my heads ported with bigger valves soon anyway, so it won't run too rich hopefully. Now I just gotta get the tuning right and maybe this thing will run close to what it should. thanks again for all the replies, I'll keep everyone posted as to my final results.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode