LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #46 of 102 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 16, 03:14 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Don

Garage
Re: Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by frog7151 View Post
John you seem to have more LS swap experience than most anyone on here, so do you have any header install tips? Install from the bottom, jack the driver side motor up, put the headers in the engine bay then the motor?

I put the car on a lift and tried to install from the bottom but could not get past the PS box. Slide the motor all the forward, mid and all the way back. I didn't have enough time to jack the motor up or pull it out. Thanks in advance for any help.
The drivers side header is best installed when you install the engine. With that said i did not follow the Hooker instructions and installed the engine with out header. I was able to take the motor mount bolt out jack the engine to the passenger side and install the header.....but it was still a little difficult! I have a car lift and still had a bear of a time but it is do able. As stated in a previous post i have an lq9 bottom end with an ls3 top end in my car and utilized the whole Hooker set up and couldn't be more happier

69 X-44 Camaro, slowly upgrading to my liking...Hmmm, i guess i'll never be done
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2002 Camaro LE SS...Many upgrades
1969 Step Side LWB C10
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 102 (permalink) Old Apr 24th, 17, 08:35 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
shawn

I know this is an old thread but I am still having some issues with header fitment.

I used Hooker 2276-1HKR headers and Dirty Dingo mounts. The headers clear the steering box fine but I am having trouble with the exhaust hitting the crossmember. The headers fit nice and snug but the cut outs in the crossmember do line up with the exhaust. I am using the crossmember supplied by Silver Sport. Any help would be appreciated.
post #48 of 102 (permalink) Old Apr 24th, 17, 10:39 AM
Senior Tech
Greg

Probably not what you want to hear but I can tell you that if you use all of Holley's parts everything will fit perfectly. It's tough when you are talking about 3 components and 3 different vendors working properly together on a setup that was never intended for your car.
DT likes this.

My 69 Build thread :

1995 Z28 (sold)
1987 Iroc-Z (sold)
2005 350Z (sold)

post #49 of 102 (permalink) Old Apr 24th, 17, 05:37 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
shawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by gphusker View Post
Probably not what you want to hear but I can tell you that if you use all of Holley's parts everything will fit perfectly. It's tough when you are talking about 3 components and 3 different vendors working properly together on a setup that was never intended for your car.
I am pretty sure in order for the Holley parts to fit "perfect" you have to be using a T56. I am using a TKO 600. I have the Holley mounts but I have the same issue with the crossmemer plus I have to modify the shifter hole.
Thanks
post #50 of 102 (permalink) Old Apr 25th, 17, 04:35 AM
Senior Tech
Greg

Quote:
I am pretty sure in order for the Holley parts to fit "perfect" you have to be using a T56. I am using a TKO 600. I have the Holley mounts but I have the same issue with the crossmemer plus I have to modify the shifter hole.
Thanks

True, but he was specifically referring to his headers hitting his cross member. What transmission you have it will have no effect on that.

My 69 Build thread :

1995 Z28 (sold)
1987 Iroc-Z (sold)
2005 350Z (sold)
post #51 of 102 (permalink) Old Apr 25th, 17, 05:04 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
shawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by gphusker View Post
True, but he was specifically referring to his headers hitting his cross member. What transmission you have it will have no effect on that.
Greg,
Not try to start an argument, but the transmission type determines the crossmember being used. The Holley kit was designed to be used with their T-56 crossmember. I installed the motor using the Holley mounts and it actually made the issue with the exhaust hitting the TKO 600 crossmember worse because the Holley mounts position the engine lower and thus causing the headers to be higher/closer to the floor plans.

It looks like I am going to have to modify the crossmember or find one with the exhaust cuts outs closer to the subframe.

Thanks
post #52 of 102 (permalink) Old Apr 25th, 17, 06:11 AM
John

Garage

Just this past Sunday I dropped an LS3 in A 67 with Hookers. And DD Sliders.

Put the headers in from the bottom. Took about 10 minutes. The collectors line up and are in good position relative to the crossmember. The crossmember looks to be from either Hurst or Kiesler.

Cross was installed previously with a SBC and TKO600. The transmission choice has nothing to do with the raised area of the crossmember to allow for the exhaust. The only differences are how the cross is configured to locate the height of the tranny mount based on the transmission being used.

I just finished Steve's 68 with Holley mounts and a Hurst crossmember. He has a TKO600 and a Hurst cross. No problem.

Your issue may be your tranny mount is pushing the rear of the tranny too high causing the headers to hit the crossmember

66 Chevelle Protour LS3/525(SOLD AT Mecum 2018)
69 SS396 Cortez Silver(SOLD)
69 Z28(Sold)
69 Pro Tour - LS3/T56
(SOLD)
69 Pro Tour - LS7/T56 (SOLD)

69 Z28/RS Tribute355/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 RS Clone 427/TH400 (SOLD)
67 RSZZ502/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 Camaro 406 SBC/TH400 (SOLD)
post #53 of 102 (permalink) Old Apr 25th, 17, 09:37 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
shawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vega$69 View Post
Just this past Sunday I dropped an LS3 in A 67 with Hookers. And DD Sliders.

Put the headers in from the bottom. Took about 10 minutes. The collectors line up and are in good position relative to the crossmember. The crossmember looks to be from either Hurst or Kiesler.

Cross was installed previously with a SBC and TKO600. The transmission choice has nothing to do with the raised area of the crossmember to allow for the exhaust. The only differences are how the cross is configured to locate the height of the tranny mount based on the transmission being used.

I just finished Steve's 68 with Holley mounts and a Hurst crossmember. He has a TKO600 and a Hurst cross. No problem.

Your issue may be your tranny mount is pushing the rear of the tranny too high causing the headers to hit the crossmember
I am not sure what the issue is. I am using the crossmember and trans mount supplied by Silversport.

The headers are close to the subframe and do not line up with the cutouts in the crossmember.
Thanks
post #54 of 102 (permalink) Old Apr 25th, 17, 04:16 PM
DT
Gold Lifetime Member
Donny

Garage

Oh man, I will be using the Holley mounts with the Silversport trans X member as well as a TKO 600 too. I'm not that far along in the swap yet. Hmmmm.

1969 X66 396 LeMans Blue, M20, 373 (Sold)
1969 Convertible LS3 TKO 600, 373
post #55 of 102 (permalink) Old Apr 25th, 17, 05:25 PM
John

Garage

Here are pictures of Rob's 67 that we dropped the LS3/480 into Sunday.

Dirty Dingo Sliders with the engine in the stock position. Small block frame towers. Shifter comes up in original console and no change to driveshaft.

Headers are Hookers 2288 1HKR. I see you're using 2276 which are 1 7/8 tube. I have a set in the garage and it appears the collector should be in the same location as the 2288

The 2276 HKR are on the LS3 on the Engine Stand

Header Collectors are 21" Center to Center and 2" below floor pan
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1804.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	65.2 KB
ID:	182017   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1805.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	84.3 KB
ID:	182025   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1806.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	182033  

Name:	IMG_1807.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	94.3 KB
ID:	182041   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1537.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	133.6 KB
ID:	182049   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1541.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	126.8 KB
ID:	182057  

69 Z28(Sold)
69 Pro Tour - LS3/T56
(SOLD)

Last edited by Vega$69; Apr 25th, 17 at 05:58 PM.
post #56 of 102 (permalink) Old Apr 25th, 17, 05:41 PM
DT
Gold Lifetime Member
Donny

Garage

Quote:
Greg,
Not try to start an argument, but the transmission type determines the crossmember being used. The Holley kit was designed to be used with their T-56 crossmember. I installed the motor using the Holley mounts and it actually made the issue with the exhaust hitting the TKO 600 crossmember worse because the Holley mounts position the engine lower and thus causing the headers to be higher/closer to the floor plans.

It looks like I am going to have to modify the crossmember or find one with the exhaust cuts outs closer to the subframe.

Thanks
Shawn, please help me on this one, If the Holley mounts lower the engine, wouldn't the headers be lower as well ????
Here is my SilverSport X member:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0254.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	64.5 KB
ID:	182065  

1969 X66 396 LeMans Blue, M20, 373 (Sold)
1969 Convertible LS3 TKO 600, 373
post #57 of 102 (permalink) Old Apr 25th, 17, 06:08 PM
John

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DT View Post
Shawn, please help me on this one, If the Holley mounts lower the engine, wouldn't the headers be lower as well ????
The Holley Motor Mounts and the clamshells lowers the front of the engine compared to other mounts that use the SBC frame towers.

If you lower the front and do not also lower the tranny mount by the same distance the header collectors will be angled slightly up and therefore closer to the floor pan, which in turn will put them too high relative to the raised area of the crossmember.

I believe the Holley Crossmember does just that.

If so you have a number of options

#1 Possible find a thinner tranny mount
#2 Modify you crossmember to lower the tranny
#3 Buy the Holley crossmember (the kit is set up for T56 don't know if they have one for TKO600)
# Use different swap mounts that utilize the SBC frame towers
DT likes this.

69 Z28(Sold)
69 Pro Tour - LS3/T56
(SOLD)

post #58 of 102 (permalink) Old Apr 25th, 17, 06:18 PM
John

Garage

Quote:
Yes the engine will be lower in the front but with your cross the headers will end up higher in the back
DT likes this.

69 Z28(Sold)
69 Pro Tour - LS3/T56
(SOLD)

post #59 of 102 (permalink) Old Apr 26th, 17, 07:06 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
shawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vega$69 View Post
Here are pictures of Rob's 67 that we dropped the LS3/480 into Sunday.

Dirty Dingo Sliders with the engine in the stock position. Small block frame towers. Shifter comes up in original console and no change to driveshaft.

Headers are Hookers 2288 1HKR. I see you're using 2276 which are 1 7/8 tube. I have a set in the garage and it appears the collector should be in the same location as the 2288

The 2276 HKR are on the LS3 on the Engine Stand

Header Collectors are 21" Center to Center and 2" below floor pan
John,
Thanks for the pictures and measurements. My collectors are approximately 23" center to center and 1 1/2 " below the floor pan. I don't understand why the difference. I used the 307 stands and DD sliders and I just simply bolted the headers on with supplied gasket and bolts. I guess I will have to try and find a shorter trans mount or modify the crossmember. Thanks again.
post #60 of 102 (permalink) Old Apr 26th, 17, 07:09 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
shawn

Quote:
Danny that is the same crossmember I am using. For me the cutouts need to be closer to the subframe. My collectors are approximately 1 1/2" from the subframe.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode