LS3 into 68 questions - Team Camaro Tech
LSx Swap LSx Engines in Non-LSx Vehicles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 16, 04:46 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Steve

LS3 into 68 questions

Hey guys, I'm swapping an new LS3 crate motor from JEGs into my 68 and have a few parts questions. The first one is the oil pan. I know the stock LS3 pan does not work so I bought the LS3 package from JEGs that includes the LS conversion muscle car pan.

Chevrolet Performance 19212593, Chevrolet Performance LS Swap Oil Pan Kits | Chevrolet Performance

Laying them out side by side there is one part that does not match. It looks like the stock one has a pressure sender right above where the return lines are located. The replacement pan has a hole in the same location but it does not go all the way through and is not threaded like the stock one. Here are the pictures.

Have others dealt with this? I assume we could drill it out and tap the hole to transfer the sender over?

The other issue I have is with the bellhousing that I purchased to mate the engine to a TKO600. It was purchased from Speed Engineering and was supposed to support LS conversions like this.

http://www.amazon.com/ALUMINUM-BELLH...ilpage_o07_s00

5 of the 6 holes line up but one of them does not. Is it ok to only have 5 bolts vs. 6? The one that does not line up is NOT one next to the dowel pins. All 4 of those seem to line up just right. If you look at the second photo down in the ad it is the hole at 11:00. There is no matching hole in the LS3 block at that location.

Thanks for the help here.
Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 16, 05:30 PM
Senior Tech
Scott

Garage
Re: LS3 into 68 questions

Steve, I would not use the muscle car pan. It hangs down below the crossmember, and is less than ideal. Are you running a stock subframe? If so, look into the holley swap parts. They make all the parts needed to do the swap (oil pan, engine mounts ,headers, trans crossmember etc)- all designed to work together. It also allows for the optimum driveline angle which leads to smooth running driveline. On the bellhousing, its not a problem leaving the one bolt out.

69 RS LS3/T56
68 Firebird vert LS1/4L60E
67 RS LS2/T56
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 16, 05:48 PM
____

Garage
Send a message via MSN to DOUG G

Holley 302-1 or 302-2 works fine. I think that may be a check valve in the pan ?

Here's the Holley pan installed....Fits about the same as a SBC pan.

68 Camaro~LSx ~all motor
1.54 60'--6.95 @ 98.45 660'--10.96 @ 121.53

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 16, 05:49 PM
Senior Tech
Garth

Garage

I agree with the Holley Swap parts perspective. I used all that stuff on my 68 swap, worked very well. I had zero fabrication.

Your original question... What is that thing? I believe it's a bypass for high pressure or something like that. The swap pan doesn't have it, I did not swap it over. I don't believe it's required.

1969 Camaro SS 350 LeMans Blue
2015 Z/28 - Red
2 x 1967 R/Tís
1977 Power Wagon
1978 Liíl Red Express
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 16, 06:22 PM
Senior Tech
Scott

Garage

The 302-1 will be a tight fit in the first gen subframe. It can be done as I have used it several times before, but you may need a thick washer under the frame stands or slightly clearance the frame crossmember. The 302-2 is the newest version and requires you to use the newer clamshell style mounts. If using long tubes, I believe you'll need to use the matching ones that were designed to go with the clamshell mounts. These mounts lower the engine, which improves the engine/trans angle as I mentioned above. Trying to use other swap headers with the 302-2 pan will not work, as they will hang to low & possibly interfere with the steering box. If you already have all your parts and just need a pan, I suggest the Mast Motorsports pan. Its well made and has much better clearance than the 302-1 holley pan. Keep us posted and lets see pics!!

69 RS LS3/T56
68 Firebird vert LS1/4L60E
67 RS LS2/T56
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 16, 06:40 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jack

Use the Holley pan if you can. I need to swap the muscle car pan out of mine one of these days. Hangs about 1.5 below the crossmember. I've never hit it but have stock height front. I do not remember the pressure sender. Could be my 6.0 didn't have one.

67 RS
Royal Plum/Parchment
6.0 LSX 4L80e

06 corvette Z06
machine silver
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 16, 07:32 PM
Team Member
Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z06vette View Post
The 302-1 will be a tight fit in the first gen subframe. It can be done as I have used it several times before, but you may need a thick washer under the frame stands or slightly clearance the frame crossmember. The 302-2 is the newest version and requires you to use the newer clamshell style mounts. If using long tubes, I believe you'll need to use the matching ones that were designed to go with the clamshell mounts. These mounts lower the engine, which improves the engine/trans angle as I mentioned above. Trying to use other swap headers with the 302-2 pan will not work, as they will hang to low & possibly interfere with the steering box. If you already have all your parts and just need a pan, I suggest the Mast Motorsports pan. Its well made and has much better clearance than the 302-1 holley pan. Keep us posted and lets see pics!!
X2. Use the 302-2 or Mast pan. The Holley system is well thought out.

Don
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old Apr 23rd, 16, 02:52 AM
____

Garage

1 7/8" Dynatech headers and fit was good....just really tight at the brake booster.

68 Camaro~LSx ~all motor
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old Apr 23rd, 16, 04:59 AM
DT
Gold Lifetime Member
Donny

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhutton View Post
X2. Use the 302-2 or Mast pan. The Holley system is well thought out.

Don
Def the way to go.

1969 X66 396 LeMans Blue, M20, 373 (Sold)
1969 Convertible LS3 TKO 600, 373
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old Apr 23rd, 16, 07:02 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Steve

Thanks for the info. I have adjustable coil overs on the front but other than that the subframe and rest of the components are stock. Out of curiosity, with the GM muscle car pan, how far does it hang below the stock subframe? Sounds like the Mast pan gets you the best clearance with stock setup.

The rest of my stuff was selected based on threads posted here. Dynatech headers, mounts from a 327 SBC, dingo slider brackets to allow me to keep the tranny in the same location where I had it mated to a 402 previously, etc.

I'll keep you all posted on the progress and pictures of the final setup.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old Apr 23rd, 16, 10:18 AM
Team Member
Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal68SS View Post
Thanks for the info. I have adjustable coil overs on the front but other than that the subframe and rest of the components are stock. Out of curiosity, with the GM muscle car pan, how far does it hang below the stock subframe? Sounds like the Mast pan gets you the best clearance with stock setup.

The rest of my stuff was selected based on threads posted here. Dynatech headers, mounts from a 327 SBC, dingo slider brackets to allow me to keep the tranny in the same location where I had it mated to a 402 previously, etc.

I'll keep you all posted on the progress and pictures of the final setup.
Almost two inches. If your car is lowered you will likely have an issue. Poor choice for a pan. You may have trouble getting your driveline angles set.

Good pic here:

http://www.pro-touring.com/threads/8...n-19212593-LH8

Don
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old Apr 23rd, 16, 10:34 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Steve

Well Don, that photo is pretty convincing. My car sits pretty low so I better order up the Mast one here pretty quickly.

The GM pan came with a LS3 kit that included the engine, harness and pan.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old Apr 23rd, 16, 10:40 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Steve

Is this the correct item from Mast Motorsports?

LS Conversion Oil Pan ? Mast Motorsports

I plan to keep it fairly stock. Do I need the windage trey?
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old Apr 23rd, 16, 12:57 PM
____

Garage

Now keep in mind.... that Mast pan is a remote oil filter type pan and will be an added cost....the Holley is not

68 Camaro~LSx ~all motor
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old Apr 23rd, 16, 01:30 PM
Team Member
Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal68SS View Post
Is this the correct item from Mast Motorsports?

LS Conversion Oil Pan ? Mast Motorsports

I plan to keep it fairly stock. Do I need the windage trey?
This is the Mast pan. It does not use a remote oil filter. It uses the stock oil filter.

Mast Motorsports High Performance Powertrain Solutions

Don
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode