motor mounts for LSX - Team Camaro Tech
LSx Swap LSx Engines in Non-LSx Vehicles

12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old Apr 28th, 16, 07:06 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Shad

motor mounts for LSX

I'm doing some mock up for my 5.3 LS block. I've got a couple different adapter plates, not sure of the brand. I'll have to look...

Which motor mounts and stands are you guys using? My bolt holes are off the same amount on both sides. With the current set up, I can't set the motor down enough to get the holes to line up.

Picking how far back to set the engine...
This won't effect the other, but I first tried the holes on the adapter plate that set the engine back the furthest. The heads would be right against the fire wall. I'd like to keep it easy to work on and I'm not really keen on modifying the fire wall. So I'll try the holes that move it forward next. I don't think the exhaust really isn't an issue on my application, I'll be reversing manifolds for a turbo set up.

My Mistress rebuild...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old Apr 28th, 16, 08:09 AM
Senior Tech
Shawn

Garage
Re: motor mounts for LSX

Myself and a few others around here have used the Holley motor mounts for LS installs, you just need to get new clamshell mounts and the rest of what you need comes with the kit. I just used them to put an LSX376 in my camaro and it went really well and I have about 2" between the cylinder heads and the firewall.

What oil pan are you using on the 5.3?

1969 Camaro X44 LSX376 B8, 6 speed T56, Hooker Header Exhaust, Dakota Digital VHX Gauges, Retrosound Model II

Build Thread:
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old Apr 28th, 16, 08:31 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Shad

Quote:
Originally Posted by stugger View Post
Myself and a few others around here have used the Holley motor mounts for LS installs, you just need to get new clamshell mounts and the rest of what you need comes with the kit. I just used them to put an LSX376 in my camaro and it went really well and I have about 2" between the cylinder heads and the firewall.

What oil pan are you using on the 5.3?
I was just reading about the Holley motor mounts with the clam shell style mounts. Glad you mentioned distance between the fire wall and the head. That's a lot further forward than what I currently have.

I took 2" out of a truck pan, but it's still too tall. My frame is notched, so I think I'll go with the older style Holley pan (302-1).

My Mistress rebuild...

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old Apr 28th, 16, 11:07 AM
Senior Tech
Todd

A little fair warning for you if you are considering the Hooker/Holley clamshell mounts, they are only compatible with the Holley 302-2 pan. The 302-1 is too tall along its front to clear the subframe when using the Hooker engine brackets. You would need to cut a 1" deep channel in the subframe for the 302-2 to clear.
zboss86 likes this.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old Apr 28th, 16, 11:31 AM
Senior Tech
Todd

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddoky View Post
You would need to cut a 1" deep channel in the subframe for the 302-2 to clear.
Edit...I meant to say you would need to cut a 1' deep channel in the subframe for the 302-1 to clear.
zboss86 likes this.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old Apr 28th, 16, 12:17 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Shad

Quote:
A little fair warning for you if you are considering the Hooker/Holley clamshell mounts, they are only compatible with the Holley 302-2 pan. The 302-1 is too tall along its front to clear the subframe when using the Hooker engine brackets. You would need to cut a 1" deep channel in the subframe for the 302-2 to clear.
Quote:
Edit...I meant to say you would need to cut a 1' deep channel in the subframe for the 302-1 to clear.

Duly noted..., and I appreciate you mentioning it, b/c it isn't hard to over look that kind of stuff.
I notched the frame for the pan, alternator, and A/C pump before I had it powder coated.
The 302-1 pan will give me room for the ride tech tru-turn, and gives me more space to tap into at the front for the oil return line from my turbo.

My Mistress rebuild...

post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old Apr 28th, 16, 04:59 PM
Senior Tech
Garth

Garage

I used the Holley system for all of it. You can't go wrong. Todd did a bang up job!

The easiest part of the entire project was getting the engine and transmission mounted and installing the headers.

1969 Camaro SS 350 LeMans Blue
2015 Z/28 - Red
2 x 1967 R/Tís
1977 Power Wagon
1978 Liíl Red Express
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old Apr 29th, 16, 04:31 AM
Senior Tech
Todd

Quote:
Originally Posted by zboss86 View Post
Duly noted..., and I appreciate you mentioning it, b/c it isn't hard to over look that kind of stuff.
I notched the frame for the pan, alternator, and A/C pump before I had it powder coated.
The 302-1 pan will give me room for the ride tech tru-turn, and gives me more space to tap into at the front for the oil return line from my turbo.
You're good to go then if you want to take advantage of the Hooker clamshell retrofit brackets (12618HKR). As another reference point to help you validate whether they will suit your needs or not, the front machined surface of the engine will rest just about 1/2" back from the front wall of the engine crossmember. Good luck to you.
zboss86 likes this.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old Apr 29th, 16, 04:34 AM
Senior Tech
Todd

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69L48Z27 View Post
I used the Holley system for all of it. You can't go wrong. Todd did a bang up job!

The easiest part of the entire project was getting the engine and transmission mounted and installing the headers.
Thanks for the positive testimony! I really like reading comments from members who have used Hooker LS swap components in their builds.
zboss86 likes this.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old Apr 29th, 16, 11:55 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Shad

Quote:
You're good to go then if you want to take advantage of the Hooker clamshell retrofit brackets (12618HKR). As another reference point to help you validate whether they will suit your needs or not, the front machined surface of the engine will rest just about 1/2" back from the front wall of the engine crossmember. Good luck to you.
The holley motor mount instructions say you can run the Alternator in the lower driver corner if the frame is notched. She's notched, I got that covered...

I'm planning on running the A/C compressor in the stock location( lower passenger side corner). The instructions say that's it's not installable in that location. Is that b/c the engine sits a good bit lower? I got a pretty good size notch in that location...

http://documents.holley.com/199r10678rev3.pdf

My Mistress rebuild...

post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old Apr 29th, 16, 12:18 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Brent

Garage

I used the Dirty Dingo sliders with Energy Suspension poly motor mounts (3-1117G) along with the tall and narrow '69 frame mounts (3945507 and 3945508). Gives you plenty of adjustability to put the motor wherever you want it.
zboss86 likes this.

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old Apr 29th, 16, 06:16 PM
Senior Tech
Todd

Quote:
Originally Posted by zboss86 View Post
The holley motor mount instructions say you can run the Alternator in the lower driver corner if the frame is notched. She's notched, I got that covered...

I'm planning on running the A/C compressor in the stock location( lower passenger side corner). The instructions say that's it's not installable in that location. Is that b/c the engine sits a good bit lower? I got a pretty good size notch in that location...

http://documents.holley.com/199r10678rev3.pdf

Your ability to do so depends on the specific FEAD system and compressor you are using. Since you have notched your frame, you are only now subject to the fore/aft fitment limitations imposed by each style/type of compressor. The Corvette FEAD spacing is a no-go for sure, but you may just get there if you are running a F-body of truck FEAD set-up.
zboss86 likes this.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old Apr 29th, 16, 06:33 PM
Senior Tech
Todd

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67Rally View Post
I used the Dirty Dingo sliders with Energy Suspension poly motor mounts (3-1117G) along with the tall and narrow '69 frame mounts (3945507 and 3945508). Gives you plenty of adjustability to put the motor wherever you want it.
Hey 67Rally. The more guys that contribute to these threads the better as it helps other/new users understand the results of using a specific type of engine mount set-up. Adjustable plates will allow you to put the engine wherever you want within the fore-aft range of the adjustable mechanism, but that characteristic comes with a minimum engine height restriction,which is not advantages in achieving optimized U-joint working angles without having to cut the trans tunnel open. Depending on the design of a user's anticipated choice of headers, it could also mean the difference between a successful install and the inability to use them. What oil pan and headers did you use on your swap?
zboss86 likes this.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old Apr 29th, 16, 07:20 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Brent

Garage

Quote:
Hey 67Rally. The more guys that contribute to these threads the better as it helps other/new users understand the results of using a specific type of engine mount set-up. Adjustable plates will allow you to put the engine wherever you want within the fore-aft range of the adjustable mechanism, but that characteristic comes with a minimum engine height restriction,which is not advantages in achieving optimized U-joint working angles without having to cut the trans tunnel open. Depending on the design of a user's anticipated choice of headers, it could also mean the difference between a successful install and the inability to use them. What oil pan and headers did you use on your swap?
Holley 302-1 pan and Doug's D3337's. Just modded the tunnel with a few taps of the BFH. No cutting required.

Also using the BMR T56 crossmember which is adjustable as well. The combo of the Dingo sliders and BMR crossmember gave me good freedom of movement.
zboss86 likes this.

post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old Apr 30th, 16, 04:59 AM
Senior Tech
Todd

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67Rally View Post
Holley 302-1 pan and Doug's D3337's. Just modded the tunnel with a few taps of the BFH. No cutting required.

Also using the BMR T56 crossmember which is adjustable as well. The combo of the Dingo sliders and BMR crossmember gave me good freedom of movement.
I'm glad that combination of parts worked out to your liking. Your description lends good comparative information regarding the elevation differences between the stock frame stands used with swap plates and the Hooker clamshell retrofit engine mounting brackets; the Holley 302-1 pan cannot be used with the Hooker engine brackets without channeling the top of the engine crossmember about 1" deep.

The Hooker clamshell retrofit engine brackets install the engine lower in the chassis to obtain optimized U-joint working angles, a lower vehicle center of gravity, maximum intake manifold/induction system clearance on top of the engine and the ability to install all GM automatic (exc. 6L80/6L90) and T56/T56 Magnum transmissions without having to modify the floor.

In order to accomplish those fitment characteristics, a new oil pan was needed that would clear the subframe crossmember at this lower installed engine height, which led to the development of the Holley 302-2 oil pan.

The newer Hooker mid-length/long tube headers and the 2.5" and 3" exhaust systems for the 1st-gen F-body LS swap application were then designed around the unique engine placement geometry of the Hooker engine brackets to achieve maximum ground clearance that is made possible by the high arch clearance of the Hooker LS swap transmission crossmembers.
zboss86 and Famous8 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode