Quiet Cooling Fan(s) for LS1 - Team Camaro Tech
LSx Swap LSx Engines in Non-LSx Vehicles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old May 14th, 16, 09:12 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Charlie

Garage
Quiet Cooling Fan(s) for LS1

Hey guys, looking for suggestions for a quieter cooling fan for the LS1 than the two fan setup I have in there now given when the one low heat fan comes on it sounds like I am clear for take off! Just too darn loud. Suggestions appreciated.

Charlie
Edmonds, WA
1969 Camaro SS Vert LS1 T56
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old May 14th, 16, 09:59 PM
Senior Tech
Anne

Re: Quiet Cooling Fan(s) for LS1

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaromaniac View Post
Hey guys, looking for suggestions for a quieter cooling fan for the LS1 than the two fan setup I have in there now given when the one low heat fan comes on it sounds like I am clear for take off! Just too darn loud. Suggestions appreciated.
The two-fan setup for 4th gen Camaros should be quiet - and cheap from a junkyard.

Government's first duty is to protect the people, not run their lives.
Ronald Reagan
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old May 15th, 16, 11:07 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jack

I have a Zirgo 16" p/n ZFU16S. Real quiet and cools my 6.0 great. I am 190-200 even in traffic. Don't remember what I paid for it.

67 RS
Royal Plum/Parchment
6.0 LSX 4L80e

06 corvette Z06
machine silver

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old May 15th, 16, 01:25 PM
Team Member
Rich

I put a set of 98 - 02 Camaro fans for our LS powered 68 C10 truck, for $80 off of ebay. They are great fans move a ton of air and are dead quiet. Not sure how they fit on a 1st gen camaro.

Rich

1967 SS350, Under construction.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old May 15th, 16, 03:21 PM
Team Member
Don

You could try the Entropy controller. Low speed is the two fans in series, so half voltage. Hi speed is fans in parallel, so full voltage.

Series/Parallel Cooling Fan Programmable Fan Controller - (Powered by CubeCart)

Don
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old May 15th, 16, 08:35 PM
Senior Tech
Shawn

Garage

I say just get louder mufflers, problem solved

1969 Camaro X44 LSX376 B8, 6 speed T56, Hooker Header Exhaust, Dakota Digital VHX Gauges, Retrosound Model II

Build Thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old May 17th, 16, 04:55 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Don

Garage

Quote:
LOL.....The exact same problem i have with my LS install. I have the two electric fans at different turn on temps. But i think i can shut off the engine and still get the car moving....anyway it sounds like i should be able to get some air So I'll be watching

69 X-44 Camaro, slowly upgrading to my liking...Hmmm, i guess i'll never be done
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2002 Camaro LE SS...Many upgrades
1969 Step Side LWB C10
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old May 17th, 16, 05:43 AM
Team Member
Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by dondb View Post
LOL.....The exact same problem i have with my LS install. I have the two electric fans at different turn on temps. But i think i can shut off the engine and still get the car moving....anyway it sounds like i should be able to get some air So I'll be watching
The Entropy controller will significantly reduce noise. The series/parallel technique is the same one used by GM before they moved to PWM control. Likely the most cost effective solution and can use the hi/low drive signals from your ECM.

Don
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old May 17th, 16, 06:16 AM
Tech Team
Robert

I had the same problem, two small fans that worked OK but were very loud. I did the research and found that the 1992 3.8L Taurus fan moves a ton of air and is very quiet. It is a two speed fan but I only have the low speed wired and it moves a ton of air! You can buy these for under $100 new. It even has a plastic shroud, so with a few small mods I easily mounted it to an existing aluminum shroud.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old May 17th, 16, 06:40 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Chris

I am using dual spal fans in my car. I remember reading somewhere that curved blade fans are quieter than straight blade ones.

Chris
1968 Camaro SS coupe, Lemans Blue/medium blue interior
LS3/T56 Ridetech Suspension
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 16, 10:32 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Scott

Quote:
1. Try rewiring them using three relays like gm did with the later 4th gens so they both come on at half speed on low and both at full voltage at high speed. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...995_BOTTOM.jpg

2. Get a controller from DCC. I run one and i never hear my fans run and i dont think they have ever run at a full 12 volts.

Scott from NJ. Stay thirsty, my friends

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold
I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors

TC Member #13
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode