Use 302-1 oil pan for 4" stroker crank - Team Camaro Tech
LSx Swap LSx Engines in Non-LSx Vehicles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old May 21st, 16, 06:41 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Anne

Use 302-1 oil pan for 4" stroker crank

Thought I would post this because Google doesn't seem to know......

A 4" stroker crank will not clear the 302-2 Holley pan. This is the pan with the best clearance for first-gens; it will sit as low as possible in the engine bay.

But...the 302-1 will clear a stroker crank, but it requires using the tall 307 frame stands and slightly shimming the motor mounts.

Found this out in another thread courtesy of Vegas$69 and 67Rally. Thanks !

If you want to keep the engine lower with the 302-1 pan , simply notch the subframe for clearance.

Government's first duty is to protect the people, not run their lives.
Ronald Reagan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 16, 06:35 AM
Senior Tech
Todd

The Holley 302-2 pan can also be easily modified to work in a stroker application and many users have done it with great success. Raising the engine, or even running it at the height that results from using swap plates and the stock frame stands has a negative effect on the vehicle's center of gravity and your ability to acheive optimized and minimized U-joint working angles without cutting the tunnel open. The Hooker 1st-gen engine brackets and transmission crossmembers and the Holley 302-2 pan were designed specifically to negate those issues.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 16, 05:56 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Anne

Re: Use 302-1 oil pan for 4" stroker crank

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddoky View Post
The Holley 302-2 pan can also be easily modified to work in a stroker application and many users have done it with great success. Raising the engine, or even running it at the height that results from using swap plates and the stock frame stands has a negative effect on the vehicle's center of gravity and your ability to acheive optimized and minimized U-joint working angles without cutting the tunnel open. The Hooker 1st-gen engine brackets and transmission crossmembers and the Holley 302-2 pan were designed specifically to negate those issues.
I'm not really scared of modifying the 302-2 pan ; just can't find any info on how to do it.

I know the point of contact with the crank is in the middle front of the pan and it needs to be lowered 1/4".

So the 1/4" drop in the middle should extend from the front all the way to the sump ?

Ronald Reagan

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old May 23rd, 16, 06:35 AM
Senior Tech
Todd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrence454 View Post
I'm not really scared of modifying the 302-2 pan ; just can't find any info on how to do it.

I know the point of contact with the crank is in the middle front of the pan and it needs to be lowered 1/4".

So the 1/4" drop in the middle should extend from the front all the way to the sump ?
Here's a couple of photos from a member on another forum showing the basic principal of the modification...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	oil_pan_stroker_mod_188730e77a20bb9f8f69f3b418e576fb7c6a17f0.jpg
Views:	511
Size:	12.9 KB
ID:	149625   Click image for larger version

Name:	oil_pan_stroker_mod_1_0f7f9592be9f3977a643291e24793b8402b72e45.jpg
Views:	425
Size:	87.1 KB
ID:	149633  
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old May 23rd, 16, 07:43 AM
Senior Tech
Shad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrence454 View Post

that's good info

My Mistress rebuild...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old May 23rd, 16, 06:32 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Anne

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddoky View Post
Here's a couple of photos from a member on another forum showing the basic principal of the modification...
Thanks Todd. That does look easy.

Ronald Reagan
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Jun 21st, 16, 06:51 PM
Tech Team
Tony

I ditched the Holley pan and installed a Mast Motorsports pan. It clears the 4" stroker crank in my 427ci LSX no problem, and also worked perfectly with the lower Holley/Hooker headers, engine mounts, and trans mount (T56). I will say that the Holley pan was nicer casting quality, but the Mast is acceptable.

Tony

Co-Founder,

69 Camaro SS convertible
70 Chevelle SS 454
Online Garage:
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Jun 22nd, 16, 09:08 AM
Tech Team
Corey

Does anyone know if the ATS road race oil pan will clear the fame without notching if the Holley motor mounts are used? I have searched and searched but I am unable to find a definitive answer. I have this pan on my current motor and the Holley mounts are in the garage as well. I am planning on using full height solid body mounts. I plan a test fitment, but would love to hear if this combo works before I go through the trouble.

I pulled the following dimensions out of the PDF manuals:

ATS Depth - 1.75"
Holley 302-1 Depth - 2.42"
Holley 302-2 Depth - 1.25"
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Jun 22nd, 16, 06:26 PM
Tech Team
Corey

Well, if the Mast pan clears, then the ATS pan has a good chance as well. I was able to find the dimensions of the Mast pan on their website. The front of the Mast pan is 1.71" to 1.95".
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 11th, 17, 07:33 AM
Apprentice
John Ryan

FWIW I bought 1 too many Holley 302-2 pans, if someone is looking for one please PM me.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 11th, 17, 01:23 PM
DT
Gold Lifetime Member
Donny

Garage

John, this post is a year old. You could use the classified section to sell your pan. Probably more traffic as well. Just an FYI.

1969 X66 396 LeMans Blue, M20, 373 (Sold)
1969 Convertible LS3 TKO 600, 373
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 18th, 17, 10:42 AM
Senior Tech
Ryan

I know it's an old thread, but Holley will soon be releasing the 302-3 pan which is a revision of the 302-2 pan. It has provisions for a 4" stroker crank and oil drain back ports for turbos.

Project: 1968 Camaro 5.3, T56, Z51 brakes, 12 bolt, etc.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode