1Likes
  • 1 Post By Titan Uranus

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old May 24th, 16, 08:01 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Chris

Garage
Cowl hood CAI

I assume many of you follow Detroit Speeds updates and have seen Ronny Buhrs 69 with the LS7. I have an LS3 under a Stinger hood and I am really intrigued with the use of the cowl hood/intake for the CAI. Has anyone else tried to mock it up? There are a couple different cowl hood air intake systems with the wide flanges each made differently for the 302, 350 and the 396. Which system would be best to start with?
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old May 24th, 16, 09:52 PM
Senior Tech
jeff

Re: Cowl hood CAI

I'm thinking of a stinger hood for my build.

Where did you get yours?

Thanks,

Jeff

67 RS/SS Conv, 4Sp, Tach and gauges
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old May 24th, 16, 10:09 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Chris

Garage

Classic Industries. I went with steel vs fiberglass.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old May 25th, 16, 02:37 AM
____

Garage
Send a message via MSN to DOUG G

I opened mine up in the front and bought a tall air filter...I have thought about adding an air pan to seal it off (just a flat panel attached to the underside of the hood)

Click image for larger version

Name:	look.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	67.5 KB
ID:	149921

68 Camaro~LSx ~all motor
1.54 60'--6.95 @ 98.45 660'--10.96 @ 121.53
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 13th, 16, 05:56 AM
Tech Team
Corey

Following. I am interested in doing this as well. I have zero fab skills, so I will need to have mine done at the shop. I have studied the photos well, and I believe you are correct in that they sourced a repo cowl intake setup and modified it to their needs.

There seem to be 2 differences between the available air cleaner assemblies. Flange width and extension height.

The cowl intakes vary in height depending on the 302,350, and 396. According to the description on Classic Industries, the 302 intake extension is shorter than the 350 due to the high rise manifold on the 302. The 350 extension (available separately) is 2.75" tall. The 302 is 2.25" tall.

The outer flange for the 302 seems wider than the 350/396. Ronnie's car looks like it uses the wider 302 flange air cleaner.

I think which one you use will be dependent on how high your motor and intake manifold sit in relation to the contact point of the hood. This will vary depending on your motor mounts and manifold type. I am running the Holley mounts, which sit the motor fairly low. I am running a FAST 102 which (I think) is taller than a factory LS1/2/6 intake.

I also thought about attempting to utilize the factory cowl flap opening, but I haven't gotten that far in my feasibility study on that one.

Last edited by Titan Uranus; Jun 13th, 16 at 06:14 AM.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 13th, 16, 06:16 AM
Tech Team
Corey

Looking at Ronnie's car again, They only seem to use the bottom 302 flange, and then the rest is custom to match the motor to hood clearance. They did not seem to use the OEM height extension.
stinger67 likes this.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Sep 16th, 16, 03:19 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Chris

Garage

I got an email back from Chris Porter of Detroit Speed.
He writes:
The systems starts life as a big block air cleaner and is actually mounted to the factory modified fuel rail system. One thing to note is that the foam seal that was used is from a 1st gen firebird as it is shorter to allow for the proper clearance. Note that the air tube is all hand fabricated and we did not use a MAF sensor due to the curve or the cam used, SDT seems to work best for this application.

I also attached the picture he sent of where they clipped in the air cleaner to the fuel rails.
So he says they used the factory foam from a 1st gen Firebird. The one I see is for their ram air, is there another one I am missing?
Now I have to figure out how to get the air from one place to the other!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image022.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	35.8 KB
ID:	160730  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode