Did I just screw myself? - Team Camaro Tech
LSx Swap LSx Engines in Non-LSx Vehicles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Dec 7th, 16, 12:01 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Shawn

Garage
Did I just screw myself?

Hey all, been a while since I posted but have been trying to keep up with everyone's build threads. Alas 12-14 hour days for the past few months (and it will be like this for the next 6) have given me little time to actually do things to my car. I've got a few miles on the car with the new setup and everything has been running great. Love getting 20-22ish mpg while cruising and the ability to either lay rubber when I want or blow someones doors off flying by when passing. Anyways now that winter is here and I had a few hours I wanted to address some issues post LS swap.

For those not up to date on my build (likely a lot of people haha) I swapped in an LSX376 B8 in and I noticed I had a small oil leak after parking it in the garage over the past few months. Anyways tonight I decided to make sure the pan was torqued down again and went underneath to tighten the bolts. Most of the bolts on the rear of the pan needed a little tightening, enough to maybe cause a small leak, but not much overall. Anyways I got to the rear small bolts and the first one on the passenger side went fine but when I switched to the drivers side it felt pretty loose. So I wrenched away at the same torque setting as the other one and then all of the sudden my heart sank a bit as the drivers side bolt snapped.

Whether the torque wrench lost its setting when moving to the other side or the bolt was faulty I don't know but it got me a little worried. So, finally to the point of this thread, did I screw myself over with the new motor or is there something that can be done? I'd like to think that the centre of the bolt remains could be drilled and the rest run out with a tap for the bolt hole but I don't know, never run into this problem before. Not sure what happened with the torque wrench either, I tried the other rear oil pan bolt and it clicked just fine.

To make sure it could make it where I needed it to go in the spring I started it up after and there was no leaking at 40 psi of oil pressure however it gets a little higher than that when under hard acceleration obviously so I wanted to see if anyone has had a similar problem and if the broken bolt can be fixed? I like to do all my own work but would rather leave this to the professionals and pay them to make it right instead of making it worse. Any insight would be very much appreciated, and for those wondering yes that beverage in the picture was instantly consumed after this ordeal.

1969 Camaro X44 LSX376 B8, 6 speed T56, Hooker Header Exhaust, Dakota Digital VHX Gauges, Retrosound Model II

Build Thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Dec 7th, 16, 05:08 AM
Senior Tech
Dave

Re: Did I just screw myself?

Quote:
Originally Posted by stugger View Post
Whether the torque wrench lost its setting when moving to the other side or the bolt was faulty I don't know but it got me a little worried. So, finally to the point of this thread, did I screw myself over with the new motor or is there something that can be done? I'd like to think that the centre of the bolt remains could be drilled and the rest run out with a tap for the bolt hole but I don't know, never run into this problem before. Not sure what happened with the torque wrench either, I tried the other rear oil pan bolt and it clicked just fine.
You didn't screw yourself. If you can't get to a small portion of the broken screw, get a left handed drill bit, punch the center of the screw and very carefully start to drill. It will probably come out on it's own that way. If not, use an easy out.
I'd say that it will leak otherwise eventually, but you can always leave it and keep an eye on it. If it doesn't leak, the juice isn't worth the squeeze to replace the screw.

'69 SS396 X66 L34 08D M21 BS
460ci Gen VI 9.75:1 AED 950 carb
241/249 @ .050" .625/.625 110 LSA

Semper Fi!

"The galleries are full of critics. They play no ball, they fight no fights. They make no mistakes because they attempt nothing."
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Dec 7th, 16, 05:23 AM
John

Garage

The rear pan bolts are torqued lower then the rest of the pan bolts.

Also torque settings are usually stated in NM.

The broken piece will come out easy however you will need to pull the pan to get to it.

I'd probably live with a drip or two before going to the trouble.

2017 Corvette ZO6 with ZO7 Option
66 Chevelle Protour LS3/525(SOLD AT Mecum 2018)
69 SS396 Cortez Silver(SOLD)
69 Z28(Sold)
69 Pro Tour - LS3/T56
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(SOLD)
69 Pro Tour - LS7/T56 (SOLD)

69 Z28/RS Tribute355/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 RS Clone 427/TH400 (SOLD)
67 RSZZ502/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 Camaro 406 SBC/TH400 (SOLD)

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Dec 7th, 16, 05:24 AM
Team Member
Don

As far as I know these bolts are "torque to yield" and should not be retorqued. The o-ring style gaskets used on these pans very rarely leak. You should be ok with the broken bolt.

Don

1969 Camaro LSA 6L90E AME subframe and IRS
1969 Camaro vert LS3 4L65E Ridetech level 2 - sold
1959 El Camino project
1969 Mustang Sportsroof project

1956 Cameo project - C5 drivetrain
1957 Buick Caballero project
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Dec 7th, 16, 01:58 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Shawn

Garage

Thanks for the replies everyone it makes me feel a little better that I can leave it for the time being.

Still hate this screw up though and will probably look at getting it fixed in the future even if there is no problems. I'm still debating destroking in the future or supercharging but if I do go destroked I can always get it fixed then.

1969 Camaro X44 LSX376 B8, 6 speed T56, Hooker Header Exhaust, Dakota Digital VHX Gauges, Retrosound Model II

Build Thread:
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Dec 7th, 16, 02:05 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Bill

Oil pressure should not make a diff on the pan leak, crankcase pressure maybe.

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Dec 7th, 16, 04:50 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Bill

The left handed drill bit is likely your best bet as long as the bolt didn't bottom out in the hole. You won't need to remove the pan to get it out as long as it turns freely with the left handed bit. I'd be nervous of the easy out, it will likely wedge the bolt tighter in the hole.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Dec 7th, 16, 05:08 PM
John

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill3337 View Post
The left handed drill bit is likely your best bet as long as the bolt didn't bottom out in the hole. You won't need to remove the pan to get it out as long as it turns freely with the left handed bit. I'd be nervous of the easy out, it will likely wedge the bolt tighter in the hole.
This is why the Pan needs to come off to get to it.

The rear bolts are 6" long and go thru the full height of the pan to the threaded holes in the rear cover.

Click image for larger version

Name:	302-1-dimensions.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	45.6 KB
ID:	166842

Tighten the oil pan to block and oil pan to front cover bolts to 18 ft./lbs.

Tighten the oil pan to rear cover bolts to 106 in./lbs.

2017 Corvette ZO6 with ZO7 Option
66 Chevelle Protour LS3/525(SOLD AT Mecum 2018)
69 SS396 Cortez Silver(SOLD)
69 Z28(Sold)
69 Pro Tour - LS3/T56
(SOLD)
69 Pro Tour - LS7/T56 (SOLD)

69 Z28/RS Tribute355/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 RS Clone 427/TH400 (SOLD)
67 RSZZ502/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 Camaro 406 SBC/TH400 (SOLD)
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Dec 7th, 16, 05:18 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Bill

Yep, that would make it pretty tough alright. I'm not familiar with that type of pan.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode