Source for LS engine? - Team Camaro Tech
LSx Swap LSx Engines in Non-LSx Vehicles

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old Dec 7th, 16, 09:26 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Bill

Question Source for LS engine?

So I am thinking about doing an LS swap in my 67 and wanted to know where others have sourced their engines from. I was looking at Tilden motorsports, they do take out engines and crate motors along with custom harnesses and flashed ECMs, their take outs have a one year warrantee, $3500 for an LQ4, 4k for an LS1. This includes all accessories also. Suggestions? Was thinking I would go turbo at some point too, not fully set on what engine either. Hoping to stay within my 8k budget for the whole thing.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old Dec 7th, 16, 09:59 AM
John

Garage
Re: Source for LS engine?

What tranny? Swap parts needed plus fuel system, cooling system, headers, exhaust etc will add to the cost. Need electric cooling fans if you don't have already

The take out acc. will not work without additional relocate brackets and parts depending on what the motor came out of. Other little things add up real fast.

These take out motors typically have IMO high miles. (according to the salvage guys anything under 120K is low mile) I personally would not spend the time and money to use one unless I went through it. Plus they are less then 325 HP so usually at least a cam swap is desired. Plus valve springs etc. Swap the cam and add headers will necessitate a custom tune. If factory gauges are being used you'll need to figure out the cable drive speedo conversion or adapter. Tach will need an adapter. Drive shaft will be shortened and probably a new yoke. Next you'll need a new X-member or some have hacked the OEM to work.

By the time you go thru an old motor you could have bought a GMPP crate motor with 430 HP and a 50,000 24 month warranty.

I suggest you put together a list of the parts and the budgeted costs before you start. Post the list and we can let you know if you're missing anything. Don't forget shipping costs.
H20cooled likes this.

2017 Corvette ZO6 with ZO7 Option
66 Chevelle Protour LS3/525(SOLD AT Mecum 2018)
69 SS396 Cortez Silver(SOLD)
69 Z28(Sold)
69 Pro Tour - LS3/T56
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(SOLD)
69 Pro Tour - LS7/T56 (SOLD)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

69 Z28/RS Tribute355/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 RS Clone 427/TH400 (SOLD)
67 RSZZ502/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 Camaro 406 SBC/TH400 (SOLD)
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old Dec 7th, 16, 12:20 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Gary

I thought about building this:

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/hpe-hp93

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/fif-70001

Of course you will need coils, covers, and a subharness for the coils as well as other misc items. After figuring it all out though, it would be roughly $1500 less than the LS3 430 with the wiring harness/pedal.

1967 RS Coupe (clone): 406 SBC, Thorley headers, Muncie, Hotchkis suspension, Centerline Matrix 17" wheels with Nitto 555's, Baer brakes, 12 bolt 3.73 posi, RS conversion, Vintage Air, PPG Hot Red. (SOLD)

1968 RS Coupe: Project...Mini-tubbed, Cammed LS 6.0, T56, 12 bolt 3.73 posi, Ridetech 4 link...slowly adding more...

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old Dec 7th, 16, 12:46 PM
DT
Gold Lifetime Member
Donny

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by MangeMD View Post

Of course you will need coils, covers, and a subharness for the coils as well as other misc items. After figuring it all out though, it would be roughly $1500 less than the LS3 430 with the wiring harness/pedal.
Don't forget the 450.00 core charge.

1969 X66 396 LeMans Blue, M20, 373 (Sold)
1969 Convertible LS3 TKO 600, 373
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old Dec 7th, 16, 12:57 PM
Senior Tech
Steve

Bill, this is what I am in the middle of building for my new project ... Resto-Mod 1966 Toyota FJ40 Landcruiser

High mile (125Mi) LQ9 out of a 2004 Escalade, tearing it down and redoing all the wearable parts, and then bought brand new all the parts to build exactly as seen below
All in I'm about $6500 Canadian, so I'm sure it can be done for less in the US

Your budget of $8k is solid if your just talking about the motor ... but like John has stated, ALL the other crap adds up BIG time

FYI .. if your going turbo stick with the LQ4 at 9.5:1 Cr

Steve
69' SS/RS X11 PRO-TOURING E-FORCE LS7, DSE Sub, T56 MAG, Recaro, Wilwood disc, Racepak IQ3S, SpeedTech TA/JRI CO's, Pro-Venom 250s, Forgeline CV3C 20/19 - SOLD
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old Dec 7th, 16, 01:14 PM
____

Garage
Send a message via MSN to DOUG G

You plan to turbo ?....look at 5.3L motors for cheap Lots going that route.

5.3l chevy engine | eBay

then add a Chinese turbo....

Think about all those 1500 Silverados out there for the pickings....go to a local auction and buy a low mileage wreck.

68 Camaro~LSx ~all motor
1.54 60'--6.95 @ 98.45 660'--10.96 @ 121.53
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old Dec 7th, 16, 01:18 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Gary

Quote:
Originally Posted by DT View Post
Don't forget the 450.00 core charge.
I didn't. My figures included the core fee. Of course it didn't include the PS pump, alternator, etc but neither does the >$8K LS3 430 with the ECU/pedal.

1967 RS Coupe (clone): 406 SBC, Thorley headers, Muncie, Hotchkis suspension, Centerline Matrix 17" wheels with Nitto 555's, Baer brakes, 12 bolt 3.73 posi, RS conversion, Vintage Air, PPG Hot Red. (SOLD)

1968 RS Coupe: Project...Mini-tubbed, Cammed LS 6.0, T56, 12 bolt 3.73 posi, Ridetech 4 link...slowly adding more...
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old Dec 7th, 16, 01:44 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vega$69 View Post
What tranny? Swap parts needed plus fuel system, cooling system, headers, exhaust etc will add to the cost. Need electric cooling fans if you don't have already

The take out acc. will not work without additional relocate brackets and parts depending on what the motor came out of. Other little things add up real fast.

These take out motors typically have IMO high miles. (according to the salvage guys anything under 120K is low mile) I personally would not spend the time and money to use one unless I went through it. Plus they are less then 325 HP so usually at least a cam swap is desired. Plus valve springs etc. Swap the cam and add headers will necessitate a custom tune. If factory gauges are being used you'll need to figure out the cable drive speedo conversion or adapter. Tach will need an adapter. Drive shaft will be shortened and probably a new yoke. Next you'll need a new X-member or some have hacked the OEM to work.

By the time you go thru an old motor you could have bought a GMPP crate motor with 430 HP and a 50,000 24 month warranty.

I suggest you put together a list of the parts and the budgeted costs before you start. Post the list and we can let you know if you're missing anything. Don't forget shipping costs.

Tranny is still up in the air, I have an M21 in there now, was thinking of maybe just going with a newer auto, with the improvements in trannys now a days I feel that the only reason to have a manual is because you like to shift and I am pretty happy with the 5speed auto in my 300C. Next week I am going to have back surgery and figure I will spend my 2 months recovery time planning out the swap and doing more research. Also want to do something about the crappy brakes and the spring wrap it has now.

post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old Dec 7th, 16, 01:50 PM
John

Garage
Quote:

Need

Front cover
Rear cover
Oil pump
Water pump
Rocker covers
Cam tensioner
Coil packs
Brackets
Coil harness
Plugs
Plug wires
Sensors
Balancer
Bolts for above

You'll be in over the LS3 430. And still have an iron block.

Last edited by Vega$69; Dec 7th, 16 at 02:19 PM.
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old Dec 7th, 16, 01:56 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Bill

What about this crate motor kit?
Tilden Motorsports LS3 Ready To Run Engine Package
Includes corvette accessories, not sure about fitment in a first gen.

post #11 of 33 (permalink) Old Dec 7th, 16, 01:57 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Gary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vega$69 View Post
Need

Front cover
Rear cover
Oil pump
Water pump
Rocker covers
Cam tensioner
Coil packs
Brackets
Coil harness
Plugs
Plug wires
Sensors
Balancer
Bolts for above

You'll be in over the LS3 430. And still have an iron block with about 350 HP
ATK High Performance Chevy LQ4 6.0L 460 HP Crate Engines HP93

post #12 of 33 (permalink) Old Dec 7th, 16, 02:15 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Gary

Ah, there are a couple things in that list I hadn't accounted for. Still, all figured, this setup would run about $1200 less than the E-Rod LS3, and is advertised at 460hp, not 350hp. Definitely heavier. Definitely a lot more work to make it work. I'm evaluating all my options lol.

post #13 of 33 (permalink) Old Dec 7th, 16, 02:16 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Gary

I guess I could always hit some car shows over the summer and try to snag a Summit 10% off coupon. That would narrow the gap substantially.

post #14 of 33 (permalink) Old Dec 7th, 16, 02:21 PM
John

Garage
Quote:
Ah, there are a couple things in that list I hadn't accounted for. Still, all figured, this setup would run about $1200 less than the E-Rod LS3, and is advertised at 460hp, not 350hp. Definitely heavier. Definitely a lot more work to make it work. I'm evaluating all my options lol.
E-Rod cost more then the LS3 430
post #15 of 33 (permalink) Old Dec 7th, 16, 02:25 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Gary

Yes, but I believe that is because it comes with the ECU and harness/pedal, as well as manifolds and cats. The FiTech is self contained EFI. Just trying to compare apples to apples.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode