My car currently has a 396 bg block paired with a TH400. I am at the very early stages of my '69 Camaro twin turbo LS swap. I am currently pulling out a LQ4 mated to a 4L80E that has only 83,000 miles out of a 2004 3/4 ton GMC Sierra. I am planning on doing a forged rotating assembly (or possibly keeping the stock crank), and going with either twin S366 turbos or a single S476 turbo if space under the hood is at too much of a premium.
Here are my plans for the engine:
-Bore the LQ4 out to a 408
-Keep the stock 317 head castings
-LJMS LS Turbo Stage 1 (or 2) Cam Kit
-Molnar Forged 4340 crank (or stock)
-Molnar turbo LS1 rods with ARP bolts
-ARP main bolts
-ARP head studs
-JP Performance single roller timing chain
-Melling high pressure oil pump
-Holley 302-2 Oil Pan
-80-120 PSI fuel injectors
-2 Borg Warner S366 turbos (or a single S476)
1) What motor mounts have you guys used with success? I was thinking about using the Hooker mounts. Even though my car has a 396 and TH400 combo currently, I believe my mounts are small block mounts due to the dimple in the headers on the driver side.
2) I want to keep as many of the stock truck accessories as possible (intake, alternator, crank pulley, etc.). I have heard that the truck intake and alternator setup will not fit under the hood of a '69 Camaro. Does anyone have any experience with that?
3) If I can't use the truck intake and accessory drives, what should I purchase instead? I would hate to have to blow a significant amount of my budget on a LS1/6 intake and F-body or Corvette accessories.
4) What battery relocation kit did you buy? Or did you make one yourself?
5) I was thinking about reusing the truck manifolds and flipping them. How does that work as far as fitment in our cars? Is there another turbo header that fit well without modification? Do any of yu have detailed pictures of your turbo "plumbing"?
6) Where did you place the intercooler? What size intercooler did you use with good results?
Here are my plans for the Transmission:
-Install Transgo HD2 shift kit
-Circle D triple disc billet torque converter (~3300 stall)
-Upgrade input shaft and any other "needed" parts to support my goal power level
1) What crossmember have you guys used with success? I was thinking about buying the Hooker crossmember to pair with the engine mounts.
2) What are some of the parts you replaced to "beef up" the transmission to hold the new increased power level.
3) Can I reuse my existing TH400 driveshaft, but just shorten it and re balance it?
Here are my plans for the fuel system:
-Either purchase a new tank with a built in sump, or add a sump to my stock tank (I'm still unsure if this is the way to go or not)
-Use a Magnafuel Protuner 750 external fuel pump
-Use factory truck fuel pressure regulator
Fuel delivery questions:
1) Should I use the factory tank and have it sumped? Or should I just buy a new tank and have it sumped?
2) Would I be happier with in-tank pump(s)? Will they be able to provide enough fuel for my power goals?
-I am planning on reusing the stock ECU from the Sierra.
-I haven't worked out the finer details of any parts of this build so I am up for listening to any suggestions you may have
-I am not a skilled fabricator, so I would prefer to do as little fabrication as possible.
-If I need fabricating done, I have a mechanic that would charge $50 per hour to do it. FYI
That is all of the questions I have for now. Please let me know if I have any apparent flaws in the build. I am starting to purchase parts, so please help me not waste money!