• 1 Post By ryeguy2006a

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 19th, 17, 08:44 AM Thread Starter
DT
Gold Lifetime Member
Donny

Garage
LS Swap/Trans tunnel hole

I saw this on another site. You guys think this tunnel cut is necessary in order to remove or slide the trans back ??
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	transhole.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	68.6 KB
ID:	172506  

1969 X66 396 LeMans Blue, M20, 373 (Sold)
1969 Convertible LS3 TKO 600, 373
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 19th, 17, 09:54 AM
Senior Tech
Chad

Re: LS Swap/Trans tunnel hole

More information in what you are considering is necessary to answer this question.

What transmission?
How far back are you moving the transmission? An LS swap can be done without having to relocate the transmission at all.

Besides the above items the other huge impact is what mounts and/or subframe is being used.

It is possible to fit an LS engine with T56 in the stock tunnel with some massaging with a hammer. But change the height of the body mounts, change the subframe, use motor mounts that move the engine back significantly, different subframe etc. could all change the answer.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

TCI Engineering equiped pro touring 1968 Camaro
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 19th, 17, 10:19 AM Thread Starter
DT
Gold Lifetime Member
Donny

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stgenCR View Post
More information in what you are considering is necessary to answer this question.

What transmission?
How far back are you moving the transmission? An LS swap can be done without having to relocate the transmission at all.

Besides the above items the other huge impact is what mounts and/or subframe is being used.

It is possible to fit an LS engine with T56 in the stock tunnel with some massaging with a hammer. But change the height of the body mounts, change the subframe, use motor mounts that move the engine back significantly, different subframe etc. could all change the answer.
Good call LOL. Let me be more specific. LS3 install, stock subframe. TKO or a T56 trans. Not asking about a stock tunnel being massaged at all. I'm concerned with removal when and if time comes. I was just wondering if that "slot" cut in the tunnel was needed to remove the trans. If you just cut a circle out will you have enough room to slide the trans back if need be. How difficult would removal be without the "slot" ? It may not be an issue at all, but after seeing that "slot" it had me thinking though.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 19th, 17, 10:40 AM Thread Starter
DT
Gold Lifetime Member
Donny

Garage

Here is a pic of just the round hole with the shifter arm. Will the trans drop down enough so you will be able to remove it ??
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	transshifter.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	81.0 KB
ID:	172514  

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 19th, 17, 11:23 AM
Senior Tech
Chad

Quote:
Originally Posted by DT View Post
Here is a pic of just the round hole with the shifter arm. Will the trans drop down enough so you will be able to remove it ??
Mine looks just like that and yes I can remove the transmission no problem. With the trans mount removed the motor will sag enough that the shifter housing is below the hole in the tunnel. That is with energy suspension polyurethane mounts too.

My first setup I could take the transmission out really easily. Now with a torque arm rear end I either have to disconnect the bell housing from the trans and motor both to get the trans out or drop the torque arm cross member. I do the former.
DT likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

TCI Engineering equiped pro touring 1968 Camaro
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 19th, 17, 12:19 PM
Senior Tech
Ryan

I remember seeing that car and wondering the same thing. I think that he did that for a specific reason if I remember correctly. I saw that build on Pro-touring.com.

I used the new Holley mounts and built my own trans crossmember. I think that if you remove the trans crossmember that you would be able to drop the trans down more than enough to get away without having to slot it like that. Personally, I cut a square out large enough so that if I ever decide to swap shifters, I don't have to drop my transmission to do so. The boot will cover it all anyway.
DT likes this.

Project: 1968 Camaro 5.3, T56, Z51 brakes, 12 bolt, etc.

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 19th, 17, 12:30 PM Thread Starter
DT
Gold Lifetime Member
Donny

Garage

Excellent, thank you guys.

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 17, 09:02 AM
Senior Tech
Scott

Garage

Main reason I raised the tunnel in mine was so that I could raise the trans tailshaft to compensate for driveline angle. Every swap I have done has benefited from raising the tailshaft, allowing me to tune out slight vibraions at highway speeds. The lower the ride height, the more important this becomes.

69 RS LS3/T56
68 Firebird vert LS1/4L60E
67 RS LS2/T56
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode