ZL1 Supercharger on an LSX - Team Camaro Tech
LSx Swap LSx Engines in Non-LSx Vehicles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 17th, 17, 02:45 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Shawn

Garage
ZL1 Supercharger on an LSX

So right now I have a verbal agreement to purchase a lower portion of a ZL1 supercharger, and right now am gathering prices for the upper portion plus other supporting items like pulleys, etc. The blower is brand new still in the box and if everything goes well with what I have planned I could have it installed for half the price of a brand new ZL1 blower kit from GM. I'm sure there will be the question of why don't I buy a different kit which is less expensive than the GM kit and makes more power, while true if I was buying complete kits I'm getting the supercharger unit for a great price and am think I'll be quite content if I can make 600 hp with it which I don't think is unreasonable.

Now the reason for the thread is to make sure I have everything figured out correctly before I fork over the money for the unit. I know I can get a pulley kit from LSX concepts to take care of spinning the blower, and can get the upper portion (and if needed the fuel rails) from a local dealer. I am thinking I should be able to take my PCV connetions off my existing manifold and putting it onto the blower manifold however there are several other connections on the supercharger that I am not sure about.

Do I need to connect the supercharger inlet and outlet pressure sensors? Do I need the evaporator purge control valve? Is there any modifications required on my LS3 swap harness to make this work?

I tried doing a search online but all I got was a bunch of threads where someone would ask about bolting a ZL1 supercharger onto a LS3 and then others would just ask why not go with a different manufacturer. So is anyone able to help me out with my questions?

1969 Camaro X44 LSX376 B8, 6 speed T56, Hooker Header Exhaust, Dakota Digital VHX Gauges, Retrosound Model II

Build Thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 19th, 17, 02:56 PM
Tech Team
Jason

Garage
Re: ZL1 Supercharger on an LSX

Do I need to connect the supercharger inlet and outlet pressure sensors?
Yes
Do I need the evaporator purge control valve?
No
Is there any modifications required on my LS3 swap harness to make this work?
Yes. You will need a 3 bar map, fuel upgrades to feed your projected power levels and a dyno tune.
You will also need more Im sure, don't know your current setup but if you can get an itemized list of the complete kit from GM, you'll know what you need to add. Unless you really know what you are doing I would advise against trying to piece something together to save a few bucks. All the pieces add up quick and you increase your chances of something going wrong. In a supercharged setup that means new motor. Go with an engineered setup or copy it with an itemized parts list. Hope this helps
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 17, 07:09 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Shawn

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bricks67 View Post
Do I need to connect the supercharger inlet and outlet pressure sensors?
Yes
This doesn't really give me a fully answer. Will this be something needed for tuning or is it something that is purely for showing the boost generated? Basically why are these sensors required when I don't really have provisions for them in my harness.

Quote:
Do I need the evaporator purge control valve?
No
Is there any modifications required on my LS3 swap harness to make this work?
Yes. You will need a 3 bar map, fuel upgrades to feed your projected power levels and a dyno tune.
You will also need more Im sure, don't know your current setup but if you can get an itemized list of the complete kit from GM, you'll know what you need to add. Unless you really know what you are doing I would advise against trying to piece something together to save a few bucks. All the pieces add up quick and you increase your chances of something going wrong. In a supercharged setup that means new motor. Go with an engineered setup or copy it with an itemized parts list. Hope this helps
Good to know that I do not need the evap purge control valve. I believe the controller kit I bought utilizes the 3 bar map sensor already and my fuel system can handle up 750 hp for boosted applications so those areas are fine. I'm not trying to piece anything together the only items I am not getting from GM are the tensioner, drive pulley and belt which I am planning to get from LSX concepts. The rest will be new pieces (including the lid and exchanger, fuel rail, hose kit, etc) direct from a dealer.

Thanks for your help so far though! Looking forward to the response on my question above.

1969 Camaro X44 LSX376 B8, 6 speed T56, Hooker Header Exhaust, Dakota Digital VHX Gauges, Retrosound Model II

Build Thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 17, 07:35 PM
John

Garage

You can buy a complete take off ZL1 blower for less then just buying the lower and piecing together the rest.

You don't need to go 3 bar. You can go with MAF tuning an 42# injectors and can get 600 hp easy with a mild blower cam with 6 psi boost

Th challenge will be finding a good spot for the intercooler

2017 Corvette ZO6 with ZO7 Option
66 Chevelle Protour LS3/525(SOLD AT Mecum 2018)
69 SS396 Cortez Silver(SOLD)
69 Z28(Sold)
69 Pro Tour - LS3/T56
(SOLD)
69 Pro Tour - LS7/T56 (SOLD)

69 Z28/RS Tribute355/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 RS Clone 427/TH400 (SOLD)
67 RSZZ502/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 Camaro 406 SBC/TH400 (SOLD)
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 17, 09:00 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Shawn

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vega$69 View Post
You can buy a complete take off ZL1 blower for less then just buying the lower and piecing together the rest.

You don't need to go 3 bar. You can go with MAF tuning an 42# injectors and can get 600 hp easy with a mild blower cam with 6 psi boost

Th challenge will be finding a good spot for the intercooler
The problem with a take off is that they can have the faulty spring in the isolator, this is a new unit with a solid isolator. I was thinking that the MAF tuning would be sufficient but I couldn't say for sure as this is new territory for me. All I'm looking for is around that 600-650 rwhp range and I think I'd be way more than satisfied. Could I not do the intercooler on the front of the radiator core support? I don't have any A/C components in the car so I don't really have to worry about space in the front.

Build Thread:
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 21st, 17, 01:58 PM
Tech Team
Jason

Garage

Sensors are there for tuning purposes. including 3 bar map. Talk to your tuner on how he would want the engine setup to produce the best tune possible. Lots of different ways to tune a car. Factory tune is ve blended and produce the best tune (throttle response, idle, low speed and wot) in my opinion. Additional sensors while technically not needed, add information that a tuner can log and make changes accordingly. They are cheap and easy to install. Rods and pistons are not. Hope this helps.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 21st, 17, 02:06 PM
Tech Team
Jason

Garage

Intercooler is in the lid of these blowers. Heat exchanger can go in front of radiator.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 21st, 17, 03:48 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Shawn

Garage

Quote:
Sensors are there for tuning purposes. including 3 bar map. Talk to your tuner on how he would want the engine setup to produce the best tune possible. Lots of different ways to tune a car. Factory tune is ve blended and produce the best tune (throttle response, idle, low speed and wot) in my opinion. Additional sensors while technically not needed, add information that a tuner can log and make changes accordingly. They are cheap and easy to install. Rods and pistons are not. Hope this helps.
Ok perfect that fully answers my question, thank you so much for the help! I am running an LSX series crate engine that has forged pistons to handle the boost, which I believe it is about 9 psi max from the blower but I wont be looking for any max power set ups. Like I said above if I can make 600-650 rwhp I would be way more than happy with that. I will have to call up some tuners to see what they would like to see but the sensors will still be there for future use even if I don't incorporate them into my setup.

Build Thread:
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 21st, 17, 07:15 PM
John

Garage

Your stated goal is approx 725 HP flywheel. You get approx 20 HP per # of boost. Ideally you should rum lower compression for a blower motor.

I ran 6 psi with my Maggie on my LS1 Vette with heads, cam, long tubes and conservative tune with 10.5 compression. Made 505 rear wheel with an auto tranny. With lower comp I could have turned up the boost to 9 and made 50-75 hp more rear wheel. The LSX with I assume better LS3 heads will do better.

What compression are you planning to run?

2017 Corvette ZO6 with ZO7 Option
66 Chevelle Protour LS3/525(SOLD AT Mecum 2018)
69 SS396 Cortez Silver(SOLD)
69 Z28(Sold)
69 Pro Tour - LS3/T56
(SOLD)
69 Pro Tour - LS7/T56 (SOLD)

69 Z28/RS Tribute355/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 RS Clone 427/TH400 (SOLD)
67 RSZZ502/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 Camaro 406 SBC/TH400 (SOLD)
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 21st, 17, 07:31 PM
Tech Team
Jason

Garage

No problem. You could double the boost and be ok as long as you feed it enough fuel. These LS motors are awesome. Id run the biggest heat exchanger you can fit up front. Find the dimensions online and make cardboard mockups to check fitment. Afco makes a nice one. Keeps the intake air charge temps down.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 21st, 17, 07:50 PM
John

Garage

Yes you're correct so long as you static compression and IATs do not cause detonation.

With the knock sensors it will pull timing and kill power. If you're off and run lean say goodbye to #7. Adding fuel alone will not do the trick.

Also good tuning across the band is essential.

Lots of guy go SD. Why? Because imho they don't know how to tune. I would maf tune so you don't have concerns with atmospheric changes.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 17, 04:39 AM
Team Member
Don

C&R Racing sells a heat exchanger with brackets for a first gen that works with the hood latch etc. Works with Vintage Air too.

Don

1969 Camaro LSA 6L90E AME subframe and IRS
1969 Camaro vert LS3 4L65E Ridetech level 2 - sold
1959 El Camino project
1969 Mustang Sportsroof project

1956 Cameo project - C5 drivetrain
1957 Buick Caballero project
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 17, 09:40 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Shawn

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vega$69 View Post
Your stated goal is approx 725 HP flywheel. You get approx 20 HP per # of boost. Ideally you should rum lower compression for a blower motor.

I ran 6 psi with my Maggie on my LS1 Vette with heads, cam, long tubes and conservative tune with 10.5 compression. Made 505 rear wheel with an auto tranny. With lower comp I could have turned up the boost to 9 and made 50-75 hp more rear wheel. The LSX with I assume better LS3 heads will do better.

What compression are you planning to run?
The compression on my motor is 9:1 so I am looking to run the 9 psi at WOT, the tune will be conservative first and foremost. While I'd love to have 600-650 rwhp I will sacrifice that "goal" to make sure everything will run properly and survive. In thinking about this over the weekend I think the biggest problem I will have will be wiring in the bypass solenoid that comes with the supercharger, trying to think of solutions for that cause it would be nice to have for cruising.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhutton View Post
C&R Racing sells a heat exchanger with brackets for a first gen that works with the hood latch etc. Works with Vintage Air too.

Don
I will keep them in mind, especially since Vintage Air is in the plan for the future. I picked up the supercharger this weekend so now I'm working to get the rest of the parts I need to install it!

Build Thread:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode