49Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 154 (permalink) Old Aug 6th, 17, 01:26 PM Thread Starter
DT
Gold Lifetime Member
Donny

Garage
LS3 build finally moving along

OK guys, I'm finally moving forward. I just dropped the LS3 in today. I installed the ECM above the batt tray on the pass fender with a bracket I made, (template from another member on Lateral G). Harness is almost ready to plug in. Fuse box is mounted. Headers are in. Its a slow build, but I'm moving forward now LOL. Thanks to a bunch of guys on here, things are getting done. The wood is keeping the engine from hitting the firewall. Haha. Tranny to be installed later. Here are a couple of pics, nothing fancy.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0377.jpg
Views:	532
Size:	74.9 KB
ID:	189434   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0378.jpg
Views:	488
Size:	124.6 KB
ID:	189442   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0380.jpg
Views:	484
Size:	85.0 KB
ID:	189450  

Name:	IMG_0381.jpg
Views:	462
Size:	108.4 KB
ID:	189458   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0382.jpg
Views:	420
Size:	79.0 KB
ID:	189466  

1969 X66 396 LeMans Blue, M20, 373 (Sold)
1969 Convertible LS3 TKO 600, 373
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 154 (permalink) Old Aug 6th, 17, 01:52 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Brent

Garage
Re: LS3 build finally moving along

Looking Good!
DT likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 154 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 17, 10:27 AM
Senior Tech
TJ

Garage

are you putting in a tremec 6 speed? the hooker kit is awesome. Everything fit like a glove!
DT likes this.

post #4 of 154 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 17, 01:33 PM Thread Starter
DT
Gold Lifetime Member
Donny

Garage

TJ, I have the TKO 5 speed. So far the Holley/Hooker kit was seamless.

post #5 of 154 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 17, 03:25 PM Thread Starter
DT
Gold Lifetime Member
Donny

Garage

Solenoid, battery cable, starter trigger wire installed.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0384.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	82.4 KB
ID:	189650  
zboss86 likes this.

post #6 of 154 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 17, 03:49 PM
John

Garage

Like it. Putting the ECU where you can access it if you have to is a very good idea. The LS7 car I built I mounted it up under the dash and AC evaporator. PIA to get to. Never again.

Mark Stilow mentioned he did the same thing once and only once. I now put them where you did or hide them in plain site with w Dirty Dingo Bracket on the smoothed firewall
zboss86 likes this.
post #7 of 154 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 17, 04:39 PM Thread Starter
DT
Gold Lifetime Member
Donny

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vega$69 View Post
Like it. Putting the ECU where you can access it if you have to is a very good idea. The LS7 car I built I mounted it up under the dash and AC evaporator. PIA to get to. Never again.

Mark Stilow mentioned he did the same thing once and only once. I now put them where you did or hide them in plain site with w Dirty Dingo Bracket on the smoothed firewall
John, the ECM mount came out great. The bracket mounts to the fender and the radiator support.

post #8 of 154 (permalink) Old Aug 14th, 17, 02:33 PM
Team Member
Lee

Garage

DT,

I've been searching around this, and other, sites looking for information regarding LS swaps with a TKO transmission using the newer Hooker/Holley kits. It looks like we're starting to see a few swaps using the Holley kit with a TKO. I sort of gave up on this route after being told by two different Holley techs that the TKO will/may work with their kit.

So, it looks like your happy with your Holley swap kit, correct? I'm guessing you used their clamshell-mount setup, 302-2 oil pan, headers (which headers did you go with?)? How about the transmission cross-member, did you use one from a TKO kit? Any modifications to the cross-member needed to achieve a decent incline angle?

I apologize for the ton of questions, but I feel this Holley system can be a "no-brainer" under the right conditions.

Thanks,
Lee
post #9 of 154 (permalink) Old Aug 14th, 17, 03:54 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Peter

Garage

Which LS3 did you use? 430, 480, 525? I still have not settled on my choice.

Can you post a link to the bracket template?

Pete

69 Camaro
Owner for 33 years
post #10 of 154 (permalink) Old Aug 14th, 17, 05:40 PM
Senior Tech
TJ

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwentz3l View Post
I suggest the 480 as it is better than stock with a somewhat 'cammy' sound yet not so much that you can't idle smoothly. 500 HP is just right!

post #11 of 154 (permalink) Old Aug 15th, 17, 02:34 PM Thread Starter
DT
Gold Lifetime Member
Donny

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee N View Post
DT,

I've been searching around this, and other, sites looking for information regarding LS swaps with a TKO transmission using the newer Hooker/Holley kits. It looks like we're starting to see a few swaps using the Holley kit with a TKO. I sort of gave up on this route after being told by two different Holley techs that the TKO will/may work with their kit.

So, it looks like your happy with your Holley swap kit, correct? I'm guessing you used their clamshell-mount setup, 302-2 oil pan, headers (which headers did you go with?)? How about the transmission cross-member, did you use one from a TKO kit? Any modifications to the cross-member needed to achieve a decent incline angle?

I apologize for the ton of questions, but I feel this Holley system can be a "no-brainer" under the right conditions.

Thanks,
Lee
Hello Lee. So far the LS 3/495 dropped right in with the Holley swap kit. Headers (Hooker long tube 2276), Motor mounts, everything fit like a glove. As far as the TKO, well right now I'm having issues finding the correct TO bearing. I had to return the LS7 clutch kit as McLeod told me the LS7 clutch kit and their TO bearing will NOT work. The x member I will be using is from Hurst Drivelines. I had the one from my kit (SST Transmissions) but I returned that one for the Hurst Driveline one. I have not mounted the TKO yet, so I can't say what problems I ran into if any. I don't think driveline angle will be a problem.

post #12 of 154 (permalink) Old Aug 15th, 17, 02:37 PM Thread Starter
DT
Gold Lifetime Member
Donny

Garage

Quote:

Can you post a link to the bracket template?
I have the LS3 480 which they now claim is 495. Which Bracket ?? The ECM ?? If yes, I made my own using a template from a member over at Lateral G. LMK if any pics will help.

post #13 of 154 (permalink) Old Aug 15th, 17, 05:15 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Peter

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DT View Post
I have the LS3 480 which they now claim is 495. Which Bracket ?? The ECM ?? If yes, I made my own using a template from a member over at Lateral G. LMK if any pics will help.
Yes, the bracket. If you could post a link to the template, I would appreciate it.

I'm at a toss up between the 495 and 525. It was always going to be the 525... but some consultants have hinted towards the 480 (495)...

Pete

69 Camaro
Owner for 33 years
post #14 of 154 (permalink) Old Aug 15th, 17, 05:32 PM Thread Starter
DT
Gold Lifetime Member
Donny

Garage

Quote:
Yes, the bracket. If you could post a link to the template, I would appreciate it.

I'm at a toss up between the 495 and 525. It was always going to be the 525... but some consultants have hinted towards the 480 (495)...
Yes, the 480 is a very good platform. I have heard a few negative reviews of the 525 version. Guys were complaining of the cam and street ability. Go figure LOL . I don't have any link for the template. The guy over at Lateral G sent it to me via the US Mail. I have the actual sheet metal template.

post #15 of 154 (permalink) Old Aug 16th, 17, 04:21 AM
Senior Tech
Greg

I have the LS3/480 with a 4L70E and it is extremely streetable. Very mild mannered off of idle and has a decent lope to it at idle. Nothing crazy but enough of one to let everyone know you have a cam in it. I don't know a ton about the 525 version but if I were wanting more HP down the road you can toss in a cam from Texas Speed/Brian Tooley and get a nice bump doing nothing else.

My 69 Build thread :

1995 Z28 (sold)
1987 Iroc-Z (sold)
2005 350Z (sold)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode