LSx Swap LSx Engines in Non-LSx Vehicles

2Likes
  • 2 Post By Vega

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 17, 02:37 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Dana

Ls3 and Manual Trans

For sale on craigslist near me is an LS3 with a manual trans and wiring harness out of a Camaro. He doesn't say if he has an ECU so I assume he doesn't, but he only wants $4,500 for the package. https://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/pt...247603540.html

I was hoping maybe you guys could chime in with some advice about buying an LS3 off of craigslist. I've been keeping my eye out for a while and I haven't seen one go for this cheap which makes me suspicious. What should I specifically check for when I go to see this? He claims in the ad that it's "in perfect running condition" is there a few questions I should ask? I'd hate to miss out on a deal but it seems like it's too good of a deal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 17, 03:45 PM
John

Garage
Re: Ls3 and Manual Trans

I don't believe the T56 will work in a 1st Gen. The accessories won't work.

The harness will have to be modified. The ECU if you get it will have to be re-flashed. The Camaro pedal if you get it I don't think will work either.

How many miles on the engine?

2017 Corvette ZO6 with ZO7 Option
66 Chevelle Protour LS3/525(SOLD AT Mecum 2018)
69 SS396 Cortez Silver(SOLD)
69 Z28(Sold)
69 Pro Tour - LS3/T56
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(SOLD)
69 Pro Tour - LS7/T56 (SOLD)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

69 Z28/RS Tribute355/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 RS Clone 427/TH400 (SOLD)
67 RSZZ502/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 Camaro 406 SBC/TH400 (SOLD)
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 17, 04:28 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Dana

I was reading this thread over at ls1tech https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...68-camaro.html and it looks like he made that transmission fit without having to cut up the trans tunnel hardly at all. He used an offset shifter, from Mcleod I think, and gave the part number 85-403-124-07. He had to have a drive shaft made that was cv on the transmission side and u-joint on the differential side (he said it was about $900 to have made). He used a 2010 camaro accelerator pedal but I haven't messed with any of this stuff, why do you think it might not work? He used ls1 brackets to relocate the accessories which forced him to use an LS1 style water pump as well. What needs to be modified on the stock harness?

The ad just says low miles, I've called twice today and not heard back so I'm trying not to be a pain in the ***.

Thanks for lending your experience, I'm trying to figure all this out for the first time.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 17, 04:45 PM
John

Garage

Many times guys buying drop out used motor end up spending very close to or more then buying a new crate engine.

Low miles from a seller without proof means nothing to me.

Just do all your homework 1st and add it all up.

Good luck
130fe and socal_tom like this.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Aug 25th, 17, 02:54 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Chris

Garage

Wouldn't it be a TR6060 if it was out of a late model Camaro and not a T56? Unless the trans is from something older.

Check my rides:

1968 Camaro Convertible LS1, T56

2016 Challenger RT Scat Pack Shaker
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode