LSx Swap LSx Engines in Non-LSx Vehicles

7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 73 (permalink) Old Oct 5th, 17, 01:45 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Richard

2002 Z-28 LS1 into '68 convt?

Hi Everyone,

I have ran across a good deal on a wrecked in the rear '02 Z-28 LS1, 6 speed with 60,000 miles on it and I'm contemplating buying it and putting the engine in my 1968 convertible. I've been drowning in the forums for the past week reading everything I can find on doing this swap. Still have a couple of questions. Has anyone here done this exact swap from a wrecked car, and if so, were you able to use any parts off the Z-28 besides just the engine(meaning radiator, fans, efi, etc.) From what I can tell, these swaps are running anywhere from 5 to 7 grand by the time you get through buying all the hoses, lines, sensors, etc. I know it's not possible to take everything off the Z28 and put on my 68, but I'm curious to know if money can be saved by using a lot of the parts from the wrecked car, or will it still be upwards of 5K? I know I will have to buy the obvious like wiring harness, motor mounts, etc. Btw, I am not planning on putting the 6 speed in my 68. Hoping to maybe trade it for a good 4L60E. Thanks for your time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 73 (permalink) Old Oct 5th, 17, 03:49 PM
Team Member
Don

Re: 2002 Z-28 LS1 into '68 convt?

I would plan for $5k but there are guys out there who will claim it can be done for much less. Better to go in high and be pleasantly surprised if it is less imho...

Don
DOUG G likes this.

1969 Camaro LSA 6L90E AME subframe and IRS
1969 Camaro vert LS3 4L65E Ridetech level 2 - sold
1959 El Camino project
1969 Mustang Sportsroof project
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1956 Cameo project - C5 drivetrain
1957 Buick Caballero project
post #3 of 73 (permalink) Old Oct 5th, 17, 06:25 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Richard

I'm going to try to get this swap to come in under $7000. Haven't got a firm price on wrecked Z yet, but definately not over $2000, which leaves 5K for mounts, crossmember, fuel lines, harness, etc. After doing more research today and seeing the prices on exhaust, radiators, and misc. brackets and accessories, I'll be cutting it real close. I have yet to see anybody on these forums do this swap for under $5000. But no matter what the cost, I still have not heard anyone say that it was not worth it. Just need to gather all my parts and plan it out as best as I can to make it go as smooth as possible!

post #4 of 73 (permalink) Old Oct 5th, 17, 07:32 PM
Senior Tech
Matthew

2002 Z-28 LS1 into '68 convt?

Copart.com for a wrecked LS donor. Be careful of their fees..
“Hot rod” LS wiring harness have become very cheap. I had 8hrs in reworking the oe harness. Not worth it..
$75 “hot rod” pcm flash from lt1swap.com
Tanks inc. efi fuel tank, nylon fuel lines and dorman connectors from parts store. Call ledfoot racing radiators.
Sell the 6spd. You’ll get more than the few hundred bucks a 4l60e costs. Make sure to get the auto trans wiring harness and yoke.
72 Nova gas pedal if you get a throttle by cable engine.
Throttle by wire takes modifying.. im not a fan of TBW

I never finished my 67 LS swap before I sold it.
I swapped 5.3 in a 72 C10. That was by far my favorite vehicle to drive.. ever.

Last edited by windsma; Oct 5th, 17 at 07:52 PM.
post #5 of 73 (permalink) Old Oct 5th, 17, 09:11 PM
John

Garage

With the engine and tranny. LS1/T56 you can do it for $5k

Remember it's all the little things that add up.

Air Intake
Headers
Exhaust or if using existing cost to mate to LS headers
Hoses
Fluids with be $200
PS hoses and or modifications
Accessory brackets. The 4th Gens won't work
Gauges and speedo connections. The T56 does not have provisions for cable driven speedo. Temp, OP and Tach are easy

You can use the radiator. Not pretty but will work.

The hydraulic master can be made to work with some effort although I'd go with a conversion kit for 1st Gens from McLeod or Silversport.

Will need to shorten your driveshaft. The 4th Gen yoke doesn't work well so I'd plan on buying a new yoke.

ECM is good. Will have to be reflashed and the harness reworked. Budget $500.

Fuel system (tanks inc) and lines fitting and regulator runs $650 all in.

I would definite keep the T56. Way more fun If you use a 4L60E you'll need an Automatic ECU and the radiator won't work unless you plan on running a separate tranny cooler.

4L60E will cost $4-500 plus the torque converter and a shifter unless you already have an auto shifter you can convert with a kit from Shiftworks. Also may new a rear gear change depending on what you have now.
post #6 of 73 (permalink) Old Oct 8th, 17, 11:11 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Richard

Hey thanks for the tips, pics and advice Vega$69 and windsma. This gives me motivation to get this build started. I'm thinking about

going with a painless wiring harness for $680 or somewhere around that. I'm assuming this harness will include everyt hing I need as

far as getting the car running. Need to call their tech support and confirm what else I would need. Looks like the fuel system will be

one of the most expensive items needed. Definately want to keep the fuel injection. Not sure if this car is TBW or TBC. And I need

to find out if I have to use what came on the motor or can I use either/or.

Vega$69,
Would it be possible to leave the existing exhaust manifolds on the LS1 and have my muffler shop tie them into my dual exhaust

already on my '68? I can't really see the manifolds on the Z-28 but they look like sort of a cast iron factory type header. Not sure

if they would work around my ps pump and lines on my '68. Btw, it's just a stock carbed 350 with cast iron manifolds and

flowmasters. Right now, my car has a strong rebuilt Turbo 350 trans in it with a shift kit. I've read on here that the LS1 will bolt

right up to it. Is there anyone on here that is running that combo, or do you think it will handle the LS1? Right now, my goal is just a

strong running dependable street driver with a whole lot of fun factor. My car originally had a power glide auto with a console. I

had to have the driveshaft shortened when I installed the T350. I'm assuming I'll have to have it shortened with the LS1? Most of

my driving will be done around town so overdrive not really a big factor right now, maybe later down the road. My car has 3.42 gears in the rear right now.

One more question, can this swap be done with the front clip still on the car? I know it would be so much easier with the clip off but

I'm kind of cramped for space in my 2 car garage. But I installed the last 2 motors in this car by myself in my garage so I have

confidence that I can do it again. Once again, thanks so much for the tips and advice. You guys knowledge and experience are

invaluable on this forum.

Wish I could find a guide on the correct way to remove a LS1 engine and trans from the Z-28, as far as what to cut and remove or what to leave hooked up. Kind of intimidating when I open the hood and see that LS1 crammed way up in there with all those hoses and wires running everywhere.
post #7 of 73 (permalink) Old Oct 8th, 17, 01:59 PM
Team Member
Don

I am going to advise against the painless harness. Get the factory LS harness reworked or buy one from a vendor that specializes in swap harnesses. LS1 exhaust manifolds may hit the steering box.

This guy will sell you a harness and programmed ECM for a good price. I used one several years ago and had no issues.

http://chevythunder.com/LS1-LS6%20harness.htm

Go with a 4L60E. You will appreciate the overdrive and the LS ECM controls it.

Don

1959 El Camino project
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8 of 73 (permalink) Old Oct 8th, 17, 04:08 PM
John

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhutton View Post
I am going to advise against the painless harness. Get the factory LS harness reworked or buy one from a vendor that specializes in swap harnesses. LS1 exhaust manifolds may hit the steering box.

This guy will sell you a harness and programmed ECM for a good price. I used one several years ago and had no issues.

http://chevythunder.com/LS1-LS6%20harness.htm

Go with a 4L60E. You will appreciate the overdrive and the LS ECM controls it.

Don
X2.

Any reason not to run the T56 you already have?

2017 Corvette ZO6 with ZO7 Option
66 Chevelle Protour LS3/525(SOLD AT Mecum 2018)
69 SS396 Cortez Silver(SOLD)
69 Z28(Sold)
69 Pro Tour - LS3/T56
(SOLD)
69 Pro Tour - LS7/T56 (SOLD)

69 Z28/RS Tribute355/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 RS Clone 427/TH400 (SOLD)
67 RSZZ502/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 Camaro 406 SBC/TH400 (SOLD)
post #9 of 73 (permalink) Old Oct 10th, 17, 05:26 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Richard

Looks like I'll be emailing Mr. Sparks. Thanks so much for the link. That's the cheapest price I've seen so far and he's not that far away from me. And if you guys recommend him, there's no question about the quality of the work. Going to pick up the car tomorrow. I assume that I can look at it and tell if it's throttle by wire or cable.

I was not thinking about running the T56 because my car is an automatic console car with the horse shoe shifter and it seems like a lot of work to convert it over to standard. I assume I would have to buy all the clutch pedal hardware, linkages, modify the trans tunnel etc. Don't get me wrong, I would love to be shifting a 6 speed standard behind an LS1. Sounds like nothing but fun. I just don't know if the budget will allow for all the extra expense of converting over to standard. Also, the guy selling me the car is giving me a 4L60E trans but he said it needs rebuilding. I've never had a 4L60E so I'm not sure if I should try to have it rebuilt or trade the T56 for a good working one. I would like to think that I could find somebody to trade a 4L60E for a good T56.
post #10 of 73 (permalink) Old Oct 10th, 17, 05:52 PM
John

Garage

Ok, I'm probably one of the biggest LS into 1st Fans here

However

Consider this. The 02 Z28 has only 310 HP.

It's a cable driven TB.

Is it worth the cost in time and money for you to do this swap using a stock LS1?

A cam would be great along with headers. So far implied budget swap and not looking to spend money modding the motor.

The T56 is easier to swap in then the Auto. Cut a hole in the tunnel, get an offset shifter, buy a clutch/brake pedal for $100. You can use the GM hydraulic TO Bearing and a master with conversion set up for a couple hundred.

The auto will fit. You still have to find a good one. IMO a good tranny and TC will cost at least $1000 or more. Have the "free" one rebuilt will cost over $1000 and you still need a new TC. I would only install a new TC with the correct stall for for your car, Weight, Gears, Engine/Cam set up.

And you'll need a shifter conversion kit plus either a stand alone tranny cooler or a radiator for an automatic. You will also need to have the ECM flashed for the auto and have to mod the harness to control the automatic. Don't forget the dipstick and tube. All adds up.

2017 Corvette ZO6 with ZO7 Option
66 Chevelle Protour LS3/525(SOLD AT Mecum 2018)
69 SS396 Cortez Silver(SOLD)
69 Z28(Sold)
69 Pro Tour - LS3/T56
(SOLD)
69 Pro Tour - LS7/T56 (SOLD)

69 Z28/RS Tribute355/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 RS Clone 427/TH400 (SOLD)
67 RSZZ502/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 Camaro 406 SBC/TH400 (SOLD)
post #11 of 73 (permalink) Old Oct 10th, 17, 06:09 PM
Team Member
Don

My first LS swap was a stock LS1 4L60E into a 69 Firebird. It was a great little car and a good first swap. Low cost and no tuning needed. You gain some horsepower with headers and no cats.

My second swap I added a cam and AFR heads etc with a T56 into a 64 GTO. Also a great car but looking back I prefer the Firebird.

Don

1959 El Camino project

post #12 of 73 (permalink) Old Oct 10th, 17, 11:48 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Richard

You've given me some interesting food for thought guys. I need to sit down and make an estimated list of prices of swap with auto(my T350 or 4L60E) vs. T56 and associated cost.

Vega$69,
you've done this enough times to know, is it safe to assume T56 = around 500, possibly lower. 4L60E = possibly 1000 probably more....
If that can be done, I'm willing to give up my console and automatic for the 6 speed and money for a bigger cam and headers. Definately no cats on this car. And you are right, 310 hp is not a whole lot now days. It would crush me for my wife to pull up beside me in her 2017 Malibu with 335 hp and keep up with me, or worse even beat me in my 1968 Camaro with a LS1 with 310 hp.

I want something that will shread the tires at will in first gear and I'm guessing I need at least 400 hp for that. (with an auto of course)
post #13 of 73 (permalink) Old Oct 11th, 17, 02:43 AM
____

Garage
Send a message via MSN to DOUG G

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelbayou View Post
And you are right, 310 hp is not a whole lot now days. It would crush me for my wife to pull up beside me in her 2017 Malibu with 335 hp and keep up with me, or worse even beat me in my 1968 Camaro with a LS1 with 310 hp.
Nothing a cam swap wouldn't fix

68 Camaro~LSx ~all motor
1.54 60'--6.95 @ 98.45 660'--10.96 @ 121.53
post #14 of 73 (permalink) Old Oct 11th, 17, 04:53 AM
Team Member
Don

Quote:
You've given me some interesting food for thought guys. I need to sit down and make an estimated list of prices of swap with auto(my T350 or 4L60E) vs. T56 and associated cost.

Vega$69,
you've done this enough times to know, is it safe to assume T56 = around 500, possibly lower. 4L60E = possibly 1000 probably more....
If that can be done, I'm willing to give up my console and automatic for the 6 speed and money for a bigger cam and headers. Definately no cats on this car. And you are right, 310 hp is not a whole lot now days. It would crush me for my wife to pull up beside me in her 2017 Malibu with 335 hp and keep up with me, or worse even beat me in my 1968 Camaro with a LS1 with 310 hp.

I want something that will shread the tires at will in first gear and I'm guessing I need at least 400 hp for that. (with an auto of course)
My 69 Firebird with a stock LS1 would shred the tires. 3.42 posi with 275 tires. Peak horsepower has nothing to do with it. It’s all about the torque curve for a street driven car...

Don

1959 El Camino project

post #15 of 73 (permalink) Old Oct 11th, 17, 06:20 AM
Senior Tech
Matthew

Quote:
I need to sit down and make an estimated list of prices of swap with auto(my T350 or 4L60E) vs. T56 and associated cost.

It would crush me for my wife to pull up beside me in her 2017 Malibu with 335 hp and keep up with me, or worse even beat me in my 1968 Camaro with a LS1 with 310 hp.

A: You want overdrive, throw TH350 out of the equation.

2. The swap’s main objective is drivability.
Who cares who can out run it, you’re in a first gen camaro. Ive hit the age and speeding ticket limit where... You didnt lose if you didnt race..
arocars likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode