Ls swap mounts - Team Camaro Tech
LSx Swap LSx Engines in Non-LSx Vehicles

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old Dec 27th, 17, 08:47 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Steve

Ls swap mounts

I need to get some stuff from summit so i thought id add ls swap mounts too. I had been confused about the crossmember before but now found myself confused but the whole deal. I see they have a solid motor mount setup to go along with the one that retrofits the original style mounts. Anybody use those?

They are also available in 3 locations. Stock, whatever that is though i kinda assume its the blocks rear mounting surface location relative to oem, forward, and more forward. What is the ccp that drives this decision?

And the tranny crossmember. Hooker doesnt list a tko app. Does a tko mount the same as a t56? No one seems to reference motor offset. Some manfacturers worry about whether you are on big block or small block clamshells. I hated having to beat the original out back in the day. Some of the aftermarket setups look like that a possibility. I kinda like hurst. I like chassisworks.

Any thoughts on what works together and what doesnt?

Thanks

67RSSS......owned since 69. A basket case for most of it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old Dec 28th, 17, 02:46 AM
____

Garage
Send a message via MSN to DOUG G
Re: Ls swap mounts

The stock location mounts keep the trans in the "stock location" so no other issues back there pop up. BUT, this places the motor back to 3/4"-1" from the firewall which some might not be able to use (buddy going through this now with the factory AC suitcase in a 67 SS).

But I do like the Dirty Dingo mounts for this reason....adjustable

Dirty Dingo Motorsports GM LS Gen 3 LS1 Gen 4 Conversion Swap Engine Mounts and Accessory Brackets

68 Camaro~LSx ~all motor
1.54 60'--6.95 @ 98.45 660'--10.96 @ 121.53
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old Dec 28th, 17, 03:58 AM
DT
Gold Lifetime Member
Donny

Garage
Hooker LS is awesome. I used everything except the trans x member. The x member is from Hurst Driveline. I'm using a tko. Headers fit like a glove.
dhutton likes this.

1969 X66 396 LeMans Blue, M20, 373 (Sold)
1969 Convertible LS3 TKO 600, 373

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old Dec 28th, 17, 05:45 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Steve

Doug, did you weld them solid eventually? Donny, which Hooker setup did you use?

post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old Dec 28th, 17, 06:25 AM
Senior Tech
Richard

I bought the complete Holley setup consisting of motor mounts, trans mounts, adapter plates, crossmember and headers. I will be installing a LS1 with a 4L60E into my 1968 camaro today. I will let you know how everything lines up. For you guys that have done this swap, is it better to install the motor and trans together, or seperate? My car is on jack stands about a foot off the ground. I also have a {TP TPPS??} plate that bolts to the intake bolts. Does anyone know which hole on the plate would be best for hooking my engine hoist chain to? I would think one of forward most holes to the get the right angle to set it down in there. Just trying to prepare as best as I can. Don't want to get it hanging on the hoist only to have to set it back down and readjust my anchor point. Thanks.

Richard
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old Dec 28th, 17, 06:29 AM
Senior Tech
Greg

I used the Holley setup (mounts, trans mount, headers) and everything fit amazing. I set the engine and trans in together by myself and had no issues with anything going together. The engine mounts fit so well I didn't even need to tap the motor mount bolts in, they just slid through by hand first try.
DT likes this.

My 69 Build thread :
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1995 Z28 (sold)
1987 Iroc-Z (sold)
2005 350Z (sold)
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old Dec 28th, 17, 06:41 AM
Senior Tech
Richard

Thats good to hear. Hopefully by this afternoon, I'll be saying the same thing. Greg, how did you lift the motor? with a plate or chain? I have the plate or a chain and load leveler but I've heard the plate is far better. Thanks.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old Dec 28th, 17, 08:52 AM
Senior Tech
Greg

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelbayou View Post
Thats good to hear. Hopefully by this afternoon, I'll be saying the same thing. Greg, how did you lift the motor? with a plate or chain? I have the plate or a chain and load leveler but I've heard the plate is far better. Thanks.
I got one of those plates that go where the intake is. Then I had a load leveler on it with a standard engine hoist. It worked fine.

My 69 Build thread :
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1995 Z28 (sold)
1987 Iroc-Z (sold)
2005 350Z (sold)
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old Dec 28th, 17, 10:27 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Steve

Hooker makes a least a dozen motor mounts in 2 different styles and various offsets. It would be interesting to know what is typically used. I think i will try the 1/2" forward motor mount.

post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old Dec 28th, 17, 10:39 AM
Senior Tech
Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3d cad View Post
Hooker makes a least a dozen motor mounts in 2 different styles and various offsets. It would be interesting to know what is typically used. I think i will try the 1/2" forward motor mount.
You want the ones that work with their pan and accessories as part of their system:

https://www.holley.com/products/ls_p...ap_components/

Don

1969 Camaro LSA 6L90E AME subframe and IRS
1969 Camaro vert LS3 4L65E Ridetech level 2 - sold
1959 El Camino project
1969 Mustang Sportsroof project

1956 Cameo project - C5 drivetrain
1957 Buick Caballero project
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old Dec 28th, 17, 11:20 AM
John

Garage

There are many things to consider when buying swap mounts.

number one is where do you want your engine to be the stock position or forward if itís in the stock position your shift or if using a TKO will come up in the shifter hole with the right shifter if you move it forward then you will probably have to use an offset shift

However if you install in the stock position it is very close to the firewall and makes it difficult to run wiring.

I have used a lot of different now my favorite are the dirty dingoes that give you the ability to adjust them even a quarter of an inch or less if you need a little extra clearancd somewhere

you can put it exactly where you want it

The Holley pan will work in the stock position or if you move it forward with a stock sub frame
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old Dec 28th, 17, 12:58 PM
Senior Tech
Richard

Thanks Greg, thats the same setup that I have, plate and engine hoist with load leveler, so it should fall right into place. I bought the complete setup with the pan, plates, mounts and headers. Would rather spend a little more and get a guaranteed fit that trying to mix and match parts. after reading all the horror stories about headers and things not lining up. Just lowered the motor and looks like the engine mounts are going to line up perfectly! Also received my PSI wiring harness yesterday. Very quality product and detailed instructions. Doesn't look to be very hard to install at all. Getting closer to start up and getting excited. Just have to maintain focus and not overlook any details.
Good luck!
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old Dec 28th, 17, 01:43 PM
DT
Gold Lifetime Member
Donny

Garage

Quote:
Doug, did you weld them solid eventually? Donny, which Hooker setup did you use?
The hooker LS Swap kit, Engine mount adapters PART# 12618HKR with the Anchor clamshells #2292, Holley oil pan 302-2, Holley long tube headers, Holley acc drive. Holley did a great job on this kit IMHO. The only issue (maybe not even one) is the x-member from Hurst Drivelines is close to the header collector on the drivers side. I think an "S" bend will solve that problem. My TKO came with a x-member from Silver Sport Transmissions. I read on this site another member complaining of the exhaust issue I mentioned with the Silver Sport X member. As a result I returned the SST x member for the Hurst one. I'm not really sure if the SST x member would of been a problem though.

1969 X66 396 LeMans Blue, M20, 373 (Sold)
1969 Convertible LS3 TKO 600, 373
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old Dec 28th, 17, 04:00 PM
____

Garage
Send a message via MSN to DOUG G

Quote:
No, I used ebay specials and got lucky

68 Camaro~LSx ~all motor
1.54 60'--6.95 @ 98.45 660'--10.96 @ 121.53
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 18, 04:15 PM
Senior Tech
Richard

Can anyone provide close up pics of the Holley LS engine swap mounts and plates with the clamshells? I'm getting confused about which way the rubber fits in the clamshell. I lowered the engine once and it didn't seem to fit over the clamshells like I thought it should and the instructions doesn't provide any pics of that area. According to my measurements, it looks like the back of the engine and back of heads will be about 1" off the firewall. Is that about right?

Also, I'm putting the engine in first without the transmission. I'm planning on using some 2 x 4's to hold up the back of the engine after it's sat down on the frame mounts. Does anyone see a problem with resting the back of the oil pan on the 2 x 4's, or is there a better place to prop the back of the motor up? Thanks guys!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode