Couple questions - Team Camaro Tech
LSx Swap LSx Engines in Non-LSx Vehicles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 16th, 18, 01:48 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Steve

Couple questions

Will a 480 crate setup clear a flat hood? How much lighter is a ls than a sbc? I put Hotchkiss 2" drop springs up front in 2004 though the subframe hasnt been back on since then. Kinda wondering how thats going to work out too. The motor mounts showed up yesterday. I didnt realize the holley/ hooker setup recentered the driveline at that point. Since i gotta go elsewhere for a tranny mount i wondered who centers and who offsets. Not seeing it in the ad data. I had the rear done offset. Does it even matter? I cant imagine any of our cars are down the line colinear after the first major pothole. How close is enough?

67RSSS......owned since 69. A basket case for most of it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 16th, 18, 02:10 PM
John

Garage
Re: Couple questions

Will clear the hood. Front suspension is fine

I donít understand ďrecenteredĒ the drive line.

What Transmission did you have and what Transmission are you using with the LS?
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 16th, 18, 02:28 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Steve

The factory mounts offset the centerline a half inch for a small block. Not sure about bbc though the rear is offset either way. Tranny was a muncie will be a tko . Hooker doesnt claim to have a crossmember for a tko. Donny used a hurst mount. I was thinking either hurst or alston.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 16th, 18, 05:39 PM
Senior Tech
Greg

Whether anything is centered or not won't matter in the least bit. The LS gives you more room than you had with the SBC/BBC before. I have more clearance around almost everything than I ever had with my small block. Hood clearance is fine. Don't overthink it.

My 69 Build thread :
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1995 Z28 (sold)
1987 Iroc-Z (sold)
2005 350Z (sold)
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 16th, 18, 06:07 PM
John

Garage

Just find a xmember you like for SBC TKO Hurst and others have tons of them. I like the ES tranny mount. Get the short one. Have part # if you need it.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 16th, 18, 06:37 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Steve

Greg, i dont know why the general put the sbc driveline off center but the motor mount setup and the tranny mount are both that way. To center the motor and not the tranny should theoretically make it impossible to make your crank centerline collinear with your pinion centerline. Seeing the few driveline shake queries that popped up lately posed the question. With the 4 link though i should theoretically be able to make nearly any setup collinear.

John....i am having a duh moment with ES........ maybe when this glass of red thins me out a little it'll come to me.

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 16th, 18, 07:46 PM
John

Garage

Energy Suspension

Sipping Apothic Dark tonight. 👍
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 18, 04:21 AM
Senior Tech
Greg

I know John has done a ton of LS swaps and there are many others who have done them as well and had no driveline angle issues. I bolted mine in and checked everything and it was perfect. I have always gone by the mantra of fixing problems after they are found. Bolt it in and check it. If you need to make adjustments you can.

My 69 Build thread :
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1995 Z28 (sold)
1987 Iroc-Z (sold)
2005 350Z (sold)
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 18, 05:22 AM
DT
Gold Lifetime Member
Donny

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by gphusker View Post
I know John has done a ton of LS swaps and there are many others who have done them as well and had no driveline angle issues. I bolted mine in and checked everything and it was perfect. I have always gone by the mantra of fixing problems after they are found. Bolt it in and check it. If you need to make adjustments you can.
X2. Stick with one brand and you will be good to go. As far as x members for the TKO, I do like the Hurst one better. It offers a little more adjustment than the SST x member, (I returned the SST one). Exhaust will be tricky though, the Holley collectors have to be trimmed to clear the x member. On my convertible its even a little more involved using the convertible x brace.

1969 X66 396 LeMans Blue, M20, 373 (Sold)
1969 Convertible LS3 TKO 600, 373
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode