1Likes
  • 1 Post By Titan Uranus

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Mar 29th, 18, 08:35 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Shawn

Garage
Ridetech Tru-turn package clearance with Hooker Headers

So tried installing the Ridetech tru-turn package tonight and couldn't get the drag link installed as the ball joint housing on inner tie-rod on both sides hits one of the header pipes. I've got the LS swap goddies from Holley with their mounts and hooker headers, pics are below to show contact areas. Has anyone else ran into this before? I don't mind running massaging the headers to make things fit and for the drivers side it doesn't seem to be a lot of clearance required but it looks like I'm going to have to do a lot of hammering on the passenger side to make sure it runs through the full travel.

The stock drag link worked fine with this setup, any insight is appreciated.

1969 Camaro X44 LSX376 B8, 6 speed T56, Hooker Header Exhaust, Dakota Digital VHX Gauges, Retrosound Model II

Build Thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Mar 29th, 18, 08:42 PM
John

Garage
Re: Ridetech Tru-turn package clearance with Hooker Headers

True Turn is notorious for header clearance issues

2017 Corvette ZO6 with ZO7 Option
66 Chevelle Protour LS3/525(SOLD AT Mecum 2018)
69 SS396 Cortez Silver(SOLD)
69 Z28(Sold)
69 Pro Tour - LS3/T56
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(SOLD)
69 Pro Tour - LS7/T56 (SOLD)

69 Z28/RS Tribute355/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 RS Clone 427/TH400 (SOLD)
67 RSZZ502/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 Camaro 406 SBC/TH400 (SOLD)
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Mar 29th, 18, 09:41 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Shawn

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vega$69 View Post
True Turn is notorious for header clearance issues
The engineer in me is contemplating how much space the pipe for the passenger side takes up. Not that the craftsmanship or design is bad from Holley but that pipe could be rerouted and made a little closer to the rest of the runners to free up a lot of clearance around the upper control arm mount and drag link itself. Although that may make it harder to install.

1969 Camaro X44 LSX376 B8, 6 speed T56, Hooker Header Exhaust, Dakota Digital VHX Gauges, Retrosound Model II

Build Thread:

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Mar 30th, 18, 06:54 AM
Tech Team
Corey

What is the PN for the headers you are using? The Holley engineer (Toddoky) regularly posts on LS1Tech. He has stated the mid lengths should clear the Tru-Turn. The Holley Blackheart Full length headers were redesigned sometime ago to accommodate the Tru-Turn as well. You can do a search for his posts over there.

RideTech also just redesigned the centerlink with a forged piece which provides more clearance as well. However I believe the clearance areas focused around the oil pan. You can call RideTech for clarification on this.
130fe likes this.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Apr 1st, 18, 03:32 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Shawn

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titan Uranus View Post
What is the PN for the headers you are using? The Holley engineer (Toddoky) regularly posts on LS1Tech. He has stated the mid lengths should clear the Tru-Turn. The Holley Blackheart Full length headers were redesigned sometime ago to accommodate the Tru-Turn as well. You can do a search for his posts over there.

RideTech also just redesigned the centerlink with a forged piece which provides more clearance as well. However I believe the clearance areas focused around the oil pan. You can call RideTech for clarification on this.
Yeah I took a look again and the drag link does not look like it will have any problems with the drain pan, its quite far forward almost against the crossmember. Looking back through my parts list I have engine mount part #12618HKR (which is correct) but long tube headers part #2276-1HKR which is the super competition headers which will not work. Going to put a call into Holley tomorrow and confirm if the blackheart headers fit and will work with the 3" system that I have from them.

Thought about seeing how much it would cost to cut the headers to make them fit but for the time and money I might as well get a new pair and sell this one. Anyone want a set of long tubes for an LS swap?

Build Thread:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode