1969 Camaro L99/6L80 - Team Camaro Tech
LSx Swap LSx Engines in Non-LSx Vehicles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old Apr 10th, 18, 05:39 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
E

1969 Camaro L99/6L80

I just recently purchased an LS L99 with a 6L80 auto transmission and want to be able to save money where i can on this swap, i am using the original 69 camaro subframe and and planning on installing a vintage air ac i am open to suggestions:

1- do i HAVE to relocate the alternator and ac compressor? or can i just notch the frame?

2- what options do i have for gauges can i reuse my oroginal 69 camaro gauges i also have summits anaglog gages(3 pods) ? or what do you guys recommend without breaking the bank?

3- Any recommendations on shifters as i want to be able to shift down? i Noticed Speartech offers a shifter not sure if anyone has used it? But i also noticed pace chevrolet offers the same shifter at a lower price are they the same???

I already have an idea where im headed with LS swap brackets and wiring, i will deal with the fuel later on once i am half way done, i just want to get some addtl info on actually getting the engine and trans into the car the i can deal with the wiring,Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 18, 06:21 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage
Re: 1969 Camaro L99/6L80

You can notch the frame, but, be sure you close the notch in regaining the original strength - cut the notch, turn the cutout over, and weld back in.
Use the original gauge sending unit for the original gauges.
Don't know about shifter, I row the gears and have a good anti-theft device - manual transmission, sorry, had to say.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden Ö enjoy your next chapter.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 18, 09:48 AM
Team Member
Don

99.9% sure there will be a hard hit with the alternator and steering box. You will need a new accessory drive. The AC compressor will not work with aftermarket air conditioning so little value in trying to retain it down low. New accessory drive will relocate it up top most likely.

Only shifter that will retain tap shifting is the one you found. If you donít need tap shifting then just about any aftermarket shifter will work. Shiftworks has a kit for the stock Camaro shifter.

Don

1969 Camaro LSA 6L90E AME subframe and IRS
1969 Camaro vert LS3 4L65E Ridetech level 2 - sold
1959 El Camino project
1969 Mustang Sportsroof project
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1956 Cameo project - C5 drivetrain
1957 Buick Caballero project

Last edited by dhutton; Apr 11th, 18 at 10:05 AM.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 18, 02:20 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
E

Just to confirm on the gauges use the summit racing analogs and reuse original hardware correct? What about speedo?
As for the shifter is the one from speartech the same from pace Chevrolet? And what do you mean by tap shift as i only see a plus or minus sign on the shifter?

I was thinking of relocating ac and alternator but i guess its confirmed ill have to relocate.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 18, 04:19 PM
Team Member
Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by elaml123 View Post
Just to confirm on the gauges use the summit racing analogs and reuse original hardware correct? What about speedo?
As for the shifter is the one from speartech the same from pace Chevrolet? And what do you mean by tap shift as i only see a plus or minus sign on the shifter?

I was thinking of relocating ac and alternator but i guess its confirmed ill have to relocate.
I think the Speartech one is slightly modified to work with their harness but otherwise the same. Tap shift means manually shifting the transmission using the + and - buttons.

You will need a new electronic speedometer or a Cable X box to work the stock speedometer. Google Cable X speedometer.....

Don

1959 El Camino project

post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old Apr 12th, 18, 01:24 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
E

What drive belt kit is the easiest and cheapest?
I looked at the holley kit but its pretty pricey.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old Apr 12th, 18, 02:05 PM
Team Member
Don

Quote:
You are going to have to do your homework and research to find out what works with your VVT. I think Holley has a version that does but not sure.

Good luck,
Don

1959 El Camino project

post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old Apr 12th, 18, 11:42 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Beth

Quote:
You should head over to our "LSx Swap" thread ; there are lots of people to help there.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old Apr 13th, 18, 04:57 AM
John

Garage

What is this out of?

When doing an LS swap the cheapest component is the engine. Getting everything you need to make it work is where the costs come in.

Also keep in mind the 6L80 is a big transmission and will not fit the tunnel without cutting and modding the tunnel. If it's not a slip yoke already it will have to be converted.

Here is a good thread on a budget/ Lol 6L80 swap into a 69 Camaro.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...ld-thread.html

As you can see it can be done and it's a ton of work.

If you bought a salvage/drop out with the harness, ECM and pedal and accessories a short list:

Rework Harness and add Fuse Box and Required Ignition and Fuel Pump Relays.

I'm not sure but I think the L99 with AFM uses the PWM Fuel Pump which will take some work . You may be able to use a regular EFI fuel pump but check to see as it may not work with the L99 ECM. You can disable AFM but I believe it requires new lifters.

By the time you pay for reworking the harness and ECM you'll spend as much as buying a new ECM and Harness

Reprogram ECM to disable VATS and other non used circuits.
You can use the Alt but will need to be relocated. More cost effective to go with a new Front Drive. GMPP is the probably the least expensive and then add the AC Bracket from Holley

Check with KWIK to see what they have that may work with what you have.

2017 Corvette ZO6 with ZO7 Option
66 Chevelle Protour LS3/525(SOLD AT Mecum 2018)
69 SS396 Cortez Silver(SOLD)
69 Z28(Sold)
69 Pro Tour - LS3/T56
(SOLD)
69 Pro Tour - LS7/T56 (SOLD)

69 Z28/RS Tribute355/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 RS Clone 427/TH400 (SOLD)
67 RSZZ502/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 Camaro 406 SBC/TH400 (SOLD)
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old Apr 13th, 18, 06:22 PM
Senior Tech
John

I am looking to do an LS swap in my 67 and started to do some research like you. From what I've found, it pays to go with one vendor and get it all from them since its all engineered to work together. That said, I'm going with Holley everything, and Hooker Headers. Search around and you'll see a lot of happy owners telling you how perfect everything lines up and clears.

As far as the front accessory drive, I'm torn on this one. I only need an alternator and PS pump. From my searching, many say they F-body accessory drive will fit in a stock subframe, with the alternator down low, but the AC compressor will need notching or totally relocated. I really hope thats the case as I'd like to use that drive to keep everything down low and tucked nicely to the block. I'm looking at this front accessory drive from Holley: https://www.holley.com/products/ls_p...s/parts/20-156

Good luck, keep us posted on your swap!
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old Apr 13th, 18, 06:29 PM
Team Member
Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny mac 1967 View Post
I am looking to do an LS swap in my 67 and started to do some research like you. From what I've found, it pays to go with one vendor and get it all from them since its all engineered to work together. That said, I'm going with Holley everything, and Hooker Headers. Search around and you'll see a lot of happy owners telling you how perfect everything lines up and clears.

As far as the front accessory drive, I'm torn on this one. I only need an alternator and PS pump. From my searching, many say they F-body accessory drive will fit in a stock subframe, with the alternator down low, but the AC compressor will need notching or totally relocated. I really hope thats the case as I'd like to use that drive to keep everything down low and tucked nicely to the block. I'm looking at this front accessory drive from Holley: https://www.holley.com/products/ls_p...s/parts/20-156

Good luck, keep us posted on your swap!
The F body accessories will not work with VVT as far as I know.

Don

1959 El Camino project

post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old Apr 14th, 18, 06:53 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Brett

Garage

Forgive my lack of knowledge for this is why I'm asking. "VVT"? Does that stand for "Variable Valve Timing"?
Brett.....

Rockets Up In 2020!

1969 Code X-66 SS 396 - RS Conversion - TKO600 - 3.73 Posi - Paint Code 71-LeMans Blue
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old Apr 14th, 18, 08:12 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vega$69 View Post
What is this out of?

When doing an LS swap the cheapest component is the engine. Getting everything you need to make it work is where the costs come in.

Also keep in mind the 6L80 is a big transmission and will not fit the tunnel without cutting and modding the tunnel. If it's not a slip yoke already it will have to be converted.

Here is a good thread on a budget/ Lol 6L80 swap into a 69 Camaro.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...ld-thread.html

As you can see it can be done and it's a ton of work.

If you bought a salvage/drop out with the harness, ECM and pedal and accessories a short list:

Rework Harness and add Fuse Box and Required Ignition and Fuel Pump Relays.

I'm not sure but I think the L99 with AFM uses the PWM Fuel Pump which will take some work . You may be able to use a regular EFI fuel pump but check to see as it may not work with the L99 ECM. You can disable AFM but I believe it requires new lifters.

By the time you pay for reworking the harness and ECM you'll spend as much as buying a new ECM and Harness

Reprogram ECM to disable VATS and other non used circuits.
You can use the Alt but will need to be relocated. More cost effective to go with a new Front Drive. GMPP is the probably the least expensive and then add the AC Bracket from Holley

Check with KWIK to see what they have that may work with what you have.
I got the engine off a 2012 Camaro with paddle shifters 66k miles, they guy said he is willing to sell me his shifter if needed and center console with gauges, i dont think i am really going to need any of this stuff but was considering the center console mainly for looks. The engine came with engine harness and no ECM it did come with the complete drive belt system(ac, power steering,etc).

What i have planned so far is using the holley engine swapping mounts and building my own trans cross-member(nothing fancy) while trying to reuse the original trans mount.The same for headers going with Hooker/Holley.I did read i had to modify the trans tunnel to make it fit

As for wiring and this is because im not to fond of wiring or dealing with all these sensors was to purchase the complete Speartec system with ECM,pedale,etc.($1600) i was looking at Speartecs shifter as i want to be able to shift down but $400 seems a bit high specially if i still need a center console to make it look nice. But Speartecs kit really takes the hassle away trying to put everything together.

My main concern is i have another project a 64 Nova i am working on for the wife and kids and my plan was to transfer the 383 onto the nova and for me to keep the L99(sneaky LOL), the Nova isnt running yet and once i do the engine swap i am half way done. The drive belt kit was a hard hit as holley's kit is over 1k, ive hear of other people using the dirty dingo brackets which seem more in my price range approx $500. Im hopin to start the swap next month taking the 383 out and installing it in the Nova then to save space(thats what i told the wife LOL) start cutting floor on the camaro to start putting the engine in. Just to see how it all fits. I uploaded a pic f the car and engine.
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old Apr 14th, 18, 08:23 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
E

I guess the pics did not attach weird
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old Apr 14th, 18, 08:26 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
E

2nd try on pics
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode