4Likes
  • 1 Post By dhutton
  • 3 Post By Vega

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old May 8th, 18, 08:12 AM Thread Starter
Apprentice
Michael Lockwoo

Advice on purchasing an LS3

I'm almost ready to purchase the engine and transmission for my '69 LS3 project. I was thinking about getting the LS376/525 manual connect and cruise system from GM performance parts.

I have the correct Hooker transmission crossmember and engine mounts. I know I will need Hooker headers part number 70501318 and a new oil pan.

Does anyone have any advice on ordering the engine/tranny combo? Have you gone with GM perforce before? Is this a quality route? How long does it take for the engine to arrive? How hard is it to get the engine from the delivery truck to my back yard? How big is/are the crates the parts come in?

Sorry for the noob questions. Can you tell I am fairly new to this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old May 8th, 18, 09:19 AM
Team Member
Don

Re: Advice on purchasing an LS3

The crate is pretty big and designed for a fork lift. I strapped it to the bucket on my front end loader. Might be able to move it with a heavy duty two wheel dolly and a friend.

It is tough to find a discounted price now that GMPP has restricted advertised price to list price. Phoning around is likely your best bet.

Summit and Jegs will show if it is in stock and you will get it in a few days if it is in stock.

Don
130fe likes this.

1969 Camaro LSA 6L90E AME subframe and IRS
1969 Camaro vert LS3 4L65E Ridetech level 2 - sold
1959 El Camino project
1969 Mustang Sportsroof project
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1956 Cameo project - C5 drivetrain
1957 Buick Caballero project
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old May 8th, 18, 04:49 PM
Senior Tech
Garth

Garage

Bought mine from Jegs. Came on lift gate truck. We back my trailer up to the lift gate and slide it from truck to trailer. Engine hoist from there.

1969 Camaro SS 350 LeMans Blue
2015 Z/28 - Red
2 x 1967 R/Tís
1977 Power Wagon
1978 Liíl Red Express

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old May 8th, 18, 06:46 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Chris

Garage

Bought my LS3/480 and 4L70 from GM. They had it in stock so they just loaded me up with a forklift.
Normally a few weeks to come in (mine was ordered by another guy, and cancelled(died of a heart attack))

When I was checking prices, GM Performance had the best price. My GM Performance store matched the GM Performance store in Indy (best deal I could find on internet)

Took mine to a shop where we used a forklift to move around.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old May 8th, 18, 07:19 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Chris

I've never moved around an engine in a crate, but I'd think a couple of moving dollies would do the trick or if all else fails, have the delivery driver put the crate on a piece of 3/4 plywood and put that on some 3-4 ft sections of 4" pvc pipe. You can push it and it will roll over the pipes. Move forward and move the trailing pipe to the front as each section of pipe is exposed as it rolls forward. Yes, a primitive and somewhat humorous approach, but it will work if you don't have any other options.

As for a purchase option, check out Scroggins Dickey in Lubbock TX.

'69 Z/28, Lemans Blue/White Stripes, DZ302, Tremec Magnum, 4.10, Procar Elite Seats,
Custom Upholstery, Dynatech headers, 17" VWW V45's, 235/45, 275/40, C5 Front Brakes
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old May 8th, 18, 07:48 PM
John

Garage

Iíve bought a lot of GM crate LS3 engines. They deliver the crate with a lift gate and the driver with a pallet jack puts it right into my garage. Free shipping no tax and I have them in 3-4 days.
130fe, foreverlookin and DT like this.

2017 Corvette ZO6 with ZO7 Option
66 Chevelle Protour LS3/525(SOLD AT Mecum 2018)
69 SS396 Cortez Silver(SOLD)
69 Z28(Sold)
69 Pro Tour - LS3/T56
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(SOLD)
69 Pro Tour - LS7/T56 (SOLD)

69 Z28/RS Tribute355/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 RS Clone 427/TH400 (SOLD)
67 RSZZ502/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 Camaro 406 SBC/TH400 (SOLD)
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old May 9th, 18, 05:45 AM
Senior Tech
Greg

Jegs will price match any internet ad, and I am pretty sure Summit will as well.

My 69 Build thread :

1995 Z28 (sold)
1987 Iroc-Z (sold)
2005 350Z (sold)
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old May 9th, 18, 06:15 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Peter

Garage

I'm near to the same milestone with my project. Every large freight delivery that I have had to date has come via a truck with a lift gate and a delivery person who is more than willing to use a pallet jack and put the skid of parts where I would like it. One guy was ready to roll up his sleeves and help me work on the car....

Pete

69 Camaro
Owner for 33 years
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old May 9th, 18, 08:37 PM Thread Starter
Apprentice
Michael Lockwoo

As always, thank for the great advice! I think I will price shop Jegs, Summit and GM Performance parts. I'll arrange to be home when it's delivered. I have a back gate that opens to the street. I think I'll ask the driver if we can wheel it right into he back yard where the car is. I appreciate the responses!
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old May 10th, 18, 12:38 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Steven

also realize that the price match is price to the door. summit and jegs offer free freight

69 Frost Green Camaro
LS3 with TSP stage 3 cam
Tremec TKO 600
Moser 12 bolt rear with ford ends 3.73:1 Eaton tru trac differential
Speedtech pro touring subframe
Ridetech rear 4-Link

Follow my journey here:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode