69 Camaro l99 with 6l80e swap beginning stage - Team Camaro Tech
LSx Swap LSx Engines in Non-LSx Vehicles

4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old Aug 25th, 18, 07:52 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
E

69 Camaro l99 with 6l80e swap beginning stage

So finally i started on my LS swap ........ i got an L99 w/ 6l80e out of a 2012 Camaro with approx 66k miles(thats what i was told) so i finally had some time to begin the first stages of the swap. This thread will mainly be my experience of actually ONLY putting the engine and trans in the car and the modifications i need to make it all fit. Ive heard and read of the floor cutting/modification but i want to see and test if there are any other ways to make it work prior to any cutting this is gonna take some time but ill see..... now i wont be doing the wiring yet or mods being that i am on a budget and have another project to tackle but i hope some people find it helpful and maybe i can learn something from someone else. I am not a professional mechanic nor a fabricator but i know my way around a car.

Now to what i have and have purchased and installed, i have a 1969 camaro w/ 383sbc/350trans, rear end is an eaton posi with 3.73 gears and 30 spline moser axles w/ caltrac split leaf and traction bars. c6 corvette disk brakes all around, qa1 adjutable coil over shock at front a couple more things but this covers a lot.

Projections--- i just want it to haul a** LOL but be reliable, nothing major. More than likely afm/dod delete stage 1 cam kit by GPI with trunnion upgrade and minor bolts ons.

What i have so far i purchased the complete bracket kit to make the swap from holley/hooker, meaning motor mounts and oil pan, i am planning on fabricating my own trans crossmember, i have not purchased the brackets to relocate the alternator or compressor but i REALLY liked the brackets from LSBRACKETS.com not sure if anyone has used them they seem simpler and you can save some money which is what i am trying to do. Some feed back would be nice.

What i have done so far is removed the 383sbc and 350 trans i removed the complete front end of the car for easier access to work all around, i have switched out the oil pan and modified the engine pan tray, i have removed the alternator and ac compressor for access and for installing the engine for clearance.

Issues i have encountered and what i need to buy so far----
1- i removed the oil cooler which i no longer will be using but there is big hose on the side off the block connected to the cooler looks like i need a plug for i wasnt aware of this. Located plug via summit after reading another thread part #12561663. You have to install the plug prior to installing the holley motor mount bracket.

2- Oil pan sensor i noticed the holley pan does not have the hole for the sensor not sure what everyone has done about this or if its ok to cancel this sensor out---- need some advise on this.

3- The positive battery cable my engine has a metal cover around it with some loom i made the mounting hole a bit large to try to reuse it i only used one mounting tab i guess will see if it works. Not sure what else everyone has done. Like i said trying to save money where i can.

Addtl questions i have has anyone reused the 2012 camaro radiator i measured it and it looks like a very tight fit i was thinking of reusing it but of course fabricating some brackets to mount it.

I hope other people chime in, I am not a pro at fabricating or mechanical work but have some knowledge so please bare with me.
H20cooled and wireboy355 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old Aug 25th, 18, 08:04 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
E

Re: 69 Camaro l99 with 6l80e swap beginning stage

I tried uploading pics not sure what the deal is.
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old Aug 26th, 18, 03:49 AM
Team Member
Don

Oil pan sensor is not needed.

Easiest way to post pics is get a paid membership to the forum. Otherwise you will need to embed links from a photo hosting site.

Don

1969 Camaro LSA 6L90E AME subframe and IRS
1969 Camaro vert LS3 4L65E Ridetech level 2 - sold
1959 El Camino project
1969 Mustang Sportsroof project
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1956 Cameo project - C5 drivetrain
1957 Buick Caballero project

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old Aug 27th, 18, 01:42 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
E

Thanks for the response ill see if i can post up pics at another site. I will delete the oil sensor then. Quick question on the oil sensor will that bring up a check engine light?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhutton View Post
Oil pan sensor is not needed.

Easiest way to post pics is get a paid membership to the forum. Otherwise you will need to embed links from a photo hosting site.

Don
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old Aug 27th, 18, 01:46 PM
John

Garage

Oil sensor in the pan is for oil levels it is not used with any aftermarket swap harnesses that I am aware of it will not bring up a check engine light.

2017 Corvette ZO6 with ZO7 Option
66 Chevelle Protour LS3/525(SOLD AT Mecum 2018)
69 SS396 Cortez Silver(SOLD)
69 Z28(Sold)
69 Pro Tour - LS3/T56
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(SOLD)
69 Pro Tour - LS7/T56 (SOLD)

69 Z28/RS Tribute355/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 RS Clone 427/TH400 (SOLD)
67 RSZZ502/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 Camaro 406 SBC/TH400 (SOLD)
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old Sep 2nd, 18, 03:18 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
E

Alright so today i was able to put the engine and trans in i had to remove the alternator exhaust manifolds and ac compressor to be able to make the engine and trans fit along with removing the wiper motor from the car in order to have proper access.

Issues i have expereinced so far:
1- i purchased the oil cooler plug but after installing it i noticed the allen head plug is HUGE i did not have that socket size so i used an actual BOLT head to tighten it inot the block.

2- Several components needed be removed from engine for easier installation.

3- The directions for the Hooker/Holley motor mounts bushings do not read with direction the guide pins need to be either up or down facing inward or outward towards the engine(wish i can post pics)

It took a bit of time to finesse the engine and trans in but overall it went in the Holley/hooker mounts, I DID NOT modify nor CUT the floor i do not have a crossmber installed yet, what i place 4 pieces of 2x4's underneath the trans to simulate the trans cross-member overall i see an approx 1/4 inch gap around between the trans tunnel and trans itself i still need to properly angle the trans to make sure i have a proper pinion angle. The rear end is a 1970 nova 8.5 10 bolt with original perches i have a 1inch drop on the rear and qa1 adjustable coil over shocks at front, i need to buy angle finder ive never done this so hopefully you guys can help me on this:

Where do i start on the trans of course i know have to lift it but how far and whats the correct angle????

My car is a bit lowered i did seem some minor areas that may be affected if i lift higher than 4 pieces of 2x4's but notihing major where i need to cut the floor, some minor hammmering can make it fit.

I will see if LS1 tech lets me post pics for some odd reason i tried posting last week but my thread did not go up with images.
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old Sep 2nd, 18, 03:37 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
E

So i finally got some pics up here is the first set here is the link:

Library Slideshow by elaml123 | Photobucket
patman2 likes this.
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old Sep 2nd, 18, 03:57 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
E

So here is another issue NOT related to the install:

What does the sensor behind the intake do and/or what is it for, i will need to replace it? It was broken when bought it.

Hope i get some thought on the pinion/trans angle as i am hoping to maybe get this done next week. Ohhh a few more details as i stated before i want to save money where i can on this swap the battery cable leading the starter you need to remove the metal base that goes underneath the oil pan it will not work on the stock frame it gets in way.

The trans cooler lines so far fit and did not hit the subframe when i turned the steering wheel i did notice a tire rod hit one of the line i wedgeda 2x4 between the line and tie rod and had my dad turn the steering wheel to create a small bend on the line for it to clear the tie rod it worked but ill work out the detail later. SOOO far i have approx 1inch away from the firewall and 1/4 inch between trans and trans tunnel pending trans angle.
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old Sep 2nd, 18, 04:04 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
E

Let me know if you guys have any issues with viewing the images.
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old Sep 2nd, 18, 05:36 PM
Team Member
Don

Sensor behind intake is the oil pressure sender. Your gauges will likely use a different sender.

Don

1959 El Camino project

post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old Sep 2nd, 18, 05:52 PM
John

Garage

And map sensor

2017 Corvette ZO6 with ZO7 Option
66 Chevelle Protour LS3/525(SOLD AT Mecum 2018)
69 SS396 Cortez Silver(SOLD)
69 Z28(Sold)
69 Pro Tour - LS3/T56
(SOLD)
69 Pro Tour - LS7/T56 (SOLD)

69 Z28/RS Tribute355/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 RS Clone 427/TH400 (SOLD)
67 RSZZ502/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 Camaro 406 SBC/TH400 (SOLD)
post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old Sep 2nd, 18, 05:53 PM
DT
Gold Lifetime Member
Donny

Garage
Holley recommends 3.0/3.5 driveline angle. Check their website for correct x member.

1969 X66 396 LeMans Blue, M20, 373 (Sold)
1969 Convertible LS3 TKO 600, 373
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old Sep 2nd, 18, 08:17 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vega$69 View Post
And map sensor
I thought speartech lets you reuse the same map sensor?
post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old Sep 2nd, 18, 08:19 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
E

Quote:
Originally Posted by DT View Post
Holley recommends 3.0/3.5 driveline angle. Check their website for correct x member.
Ill check it out thanks do you know if this is positive or negative but the main question is how do i go about and checking for angle i dont have the driveshaft yet.
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old Sep 3rd, 18, 03:47 AM
Team Member
Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by elaml123 View Post
I thought speartech lets you reuse the same map sensor?
Yes they do.

1959 El Camino project

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode