LSx Swap LSx Engines in Non-LSx Vehicles

4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old Nov 22nd, 18, 04:32 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
majj

Garage
1968 Camaro SS LS2 Swap

I've had my 68 SS Restomod for 2 years now. It was restored by someone and then sold it to a dealership in Long Island, where I then purchased from.

The dealership did not know all the details and work that was done to the car, I also have little knowledge on classic muscles (my first classic). Below is what information I was able to get on the car:

• 1968 Camaro SS Restomod
  • Fully-restored 350ci engine (2,500 miles)
  • Holley Carburetor
  • 4-speed Muncie
  • Hurst shifter
  • Upgraded brakes(don't know which)
  • American Racing AR105 Torq Thrust 17's

I had several problems with the car (i wanted an incomplete SS so I can enjoy re-building it), the carb kept choking out, tune was off, car over-heated and just kept stalling. Fast-forward 1 year, I shipped it back home in KSA and searched for the best muscle car mechanic. Finally decided on the build, that just began 2 days ago.

Below is what is going to happen (will share more details as the build moves on):

• 6.0L LS2 engine
  • Tremec T56 6-speed
  • Power Steering
  • Injectors
  • Air Intake
  • Custom large aluminum radiator (hot country)
  • Full clutch-set
  • New Drivetrain
  • Fuel pumps
  • Engine mounts

Will share photos as well. Can't wait to drive it!

1968 Camaro SS
LS2/T56
RideTech StreetGrip

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by majj35; Nov 22nd, 18 at 04:47 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old Nov 22nd, 18, 04:47 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
majj

Garage
Re: 1968 Camaro SS LS2 Swap

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1968 Camaro SS
LS2/T56
RideTech StreetGrip

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old Nov 22nd, 18, 04:49 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Brett

Garage

Yes, it will surely be exciting to drive once all of the work is complete. I use Imageshack for hosting images. It is easy and free (I don't recall paying anything to start the service). Here is a sample pic;

Brett......

Rockets Up In 2020!

1969 Code X-66 SS 396 - RS Conversion - TKO600 - 3.73 Posi - Paint Code 71-LeMans Blue

Last edited by Brettallen59; Nov 22nd, 18 at 04:52 AM. Reason: typo

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old Nov 22nd, 18, 05:09 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
majj

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brettallen59 View Post
Yes, it will surely be exciting to drive once all of the work is complete. I use Imageshack for hosting images. It is easy and free (I don't recall paying anything to start the service). Here is a sample pic;

Brett......
Thanks Brett, I'll check it out!

1968 Camaro SS
LS2/T56
RideTech StreetGrip

post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old Nov 23rd, 18, 07:46 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Steve

Garage

I had mine converted to an LS3 with it a new rad and the work was done in Vegas and drove it home in 120f and the car never heated up over design of 190f.

Steve
The best laid plans are those not made (mine)

post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old Nov 25th, 18, 01:06 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
majj

Garage

Nice, any photos?

1968 Camaro SS
LS2/T56
RideTech StreetGrip

post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old Nov 26th, 18, 06:07 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Steve

Garage

Hereís a couple...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0765D59F-376F-4F91-80BC-463C44094777.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	287.1 KB
ID:	223081   Click image for larger version

Name:	EB99857F-EA6F-4668-9EEE-8CCD2F15DDD1.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	414.2 KB
ID:	223083  
majj35 likes this.

Steve
The best laid plans are those not made (mine)

post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old Nov 26th, 18, 07:32 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Charley

Garage

I suggest using a Ricks' tank with a Vaporworks setup.
130fe likes this.

post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old Nov 28th, 18, 05:31 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
majj

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by foreverlookin View Post
Hereís a couple...
absolutely beautiful!

Quote:
Originally Posted by clill View Post
I suggest using a Ricks' tank with a Vaporworks setup.
Thanks clill will look into that!

1968 Camaro SS
LS2/T56
RideTech StreetGrip

post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old Feb 20th, 19, 01:06 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
majj

Garage

Engine is In!! Just waiting for the clutches and all should be done by next week.

Also getting the red covers on the engine

1968 Camaro SS
LS2/T56
RideTech StreetGrip

post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old Feb 20th, 19, 03:24 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Steve

Mann,
I am thinking the earlier pics of the car might not have showed off the paint job as much as they could have. When you have a chance?

67RSSS......owned since 69. A basket case for most of it.
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old Feb 20th, 19, 03:28 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
majj

Garage
1968 Camaro SS LS2 Swap

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3d cad View Post
Mann,

I am thinking the earlier pics of the car might not have showed off the paint job as much as they could have. When you have a chance?

Sure, hereís a few more showing the paint

1968 Camaro SS
LS2/T56
RideTech StreetGrip

post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 19, 11:10 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
majj

Garage

Just got my Ls2 build done with the T56-im happy and unhappy. Engine runs well, however

-when shifting gears, theyíre not hooking its like theyíre stuck i need to keep unhooking from one gear and back into the one i want for it to hook (eg if im on 2nd and try to hook on 3rd it just doesnt hook..hope that makes sense)

-the clutch pedal is a little heavy on release so its kinda like burning the clutch (C7 corvette clutches)

-Im used to my old Muncie 4 speed, i still have the hurst shifter fitted into the tremec, kind of confusing when trying to hook into 3rd, might slip and hit 5th needs getting used to i guess or maybe its just not hooking easily.

Solution: taking it back to the mechanic, he said something about re-balancing the gears.. something like that

1968 Camaro SS
LS2/T56
RideTech StreetGrip

post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 19, 03:44 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Brett

Garage

That's great that you got the LS2 in the car! The T-56 shifter is different from the Muncie I'm pretty sure. Your mechanic should have installed the Tremec into your car and returned it back to you in better condition than what it sounds like, if he was the one that installed it. Now if you installed it, for sure take it to him to have a look. It could be the clutch contributing to your shifting issue. If the clutch is not completely dis-engaged, it will be difficult to shift between gears. Your ability to shift between gears will then rely on your syncro's and you don't want that. To shift without the clutch you need to be at the correct RPM's for the shifter to "fall" into the next gear, while applying pressure with your hand on the shifter towards the next gear and giving the engine gas to increase RPM's and the shifter should go into the next gear without the clutch depressed. This is not really recommended as it will/could damage your syncro's, but as a temporary measure, you could still get through the gears like this.
And yes, it takes some getting used to regarding the 2nd to 3rd shift and not going into 5th. When I shift from 2nd to 3rd, I would basically just throw it north, almost straight up, not trying to push sideways and it should find 3rd more than 5th. Just don't push up and left, as tat will put you back in 1st and you really don't want that. Hopefully your mechanic hooked up the reverse lockout. The biggest concern is when shifting to 6th, you don't want to miss and find reverse, as that will cause you to purchase another T-56! lol.....

Brett.....

Rockets Up In 2020!

1969 Code X-66 SS 396 - RS Conversion - TKO600 - 3.73 Posi - Paint Code 71-LeMans Blue
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 19, 04:23 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
majj

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brettallen59 View Post
That's great that you got the LS2 in the car! The T-56 shifter is different from the Muncie I'm pretty sure. Your mechanic should have installed the Tremec into your car and returned it back to you in better condition than what it sounds like, if he was the one that installed it. Now if you installed it, for sure take it to him to have a look. It could be the clutch contributing to your shifting issue. If the clutch is not completely dis-engaged, it will be difficult to shift between gears. Your ability to shift between gears will then rely on your syncro's and you don't want that. To shift without the clutch you need to be at the correct RPM's for the shifter to "fall" into the next gear, while applying pressure with your hand on the shifter towards the next gear and giving the engine gas to increase RPM's and the shifter should go into the next gear without the clutch depressed. This is not really recommended as it will/could damage your syncro's, but as a temporary measure, you could still get through the gears like this.
And yes, it takes some getting used to regarding the 2nd to 3rd shift and not going into 5th. When I shift from 2nd to 3rd, I would basically just throw it north, almost straight up, not trying to push sideways and it should find 3rd more than 5th. Just don't push up and left, as tat will put you back in 1st and you really don't want that. Hopefully your mechanic hooked up the reverse lockout. The biggest concern is when shifting to 6th, you don't want to miss and find reverse, as that will cause you to purchase another T-56! lol.....

Brett.....

The mechanic did the install, we went on a ride last night and he's aware of the problem and said that he's going to re-adjust or re-balance the trans/gear to solve this hooking problem.

and thanks for the reverse lockout, i'll ask if he did that, and to do it if not. I'd really hate hooking into R after 4th lol needs getting used to since my muncie's reverse was Top Left, whereas the T56 now is Top Right

1968 Camaro SS
LS2/T56
RideTech StreetGrip

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
1968, camaro ss, ls swap, ls2, restomod

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode