A Backyard Mechanics Guide to an LS3 Swap - Team Camaro Tech
LSx Swap LSx Engines in Non-LSx Vehicles

21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 140 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 19, 05:35 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Bobby

Talking A Backyard Mechanics Guide to an LS3 Swap

So yesterday afternoon I pulled the trigger and ordered a bunch of stuff from https://www.gmperformancemotor.com/ to upgrade my 1968 Camaro "Dorothy" from an Inline 250 Straight Six that might have had 150HP with a 2spd Power-glide to a new LS3 430HP with a 4L65e.

This is a picture of the day I bought her on November 7th 2014, my wife and I drove 15 hours from Naples up to Florence, Alabama to a place called Hut’s Auto Restoration. Tommy Hunt had picked her up just a few months earlier form the Mecum Car Auction in Tampa, she was originally from Ballston Spa, NY where Dorothy Hoyt purchased her when she was 65 years old back in 1968. I spoke to a previous owner that knew Dorthy and Harold and he said that they went down to the Chevy Dealer and all they had were Camaros with Big Blocks and Harold would not let her buy one of those so they ordered a convertible with a Six Cylinder. I did not find out that the car was from upstate NY until afterwards, not sure if I would have taken the drive if I knew the car came from the Rust Belt? Needless to say I don't think Dorothy drove the car much especially in the winter? The car only had 37,000 miles on her when I got her and the under carriage is in amazing condition solid as a rock.

At the time I purposely wanted a 68 with a straight six, back in the day I had 68 SS/RS with a 396 Big Block that got 8 miles to the gallon. Sorry but 8 miles to the gallon just seemed to take the fun out of driving it.

She was at times a little temperamental in starting, if you did not catch it just right you would have to make several attempts at getting her to turn over. Because of this I decided to give her a little update with some products from Clifford Research.

This solved my starting issues, and if you can believe it with these two Weber Carbs and the 3 into 1 Headers I was getting 23 MPG.

It was also fun at Car Shows to see people walk by and be surprised at what they found under the hood.

So as of this moment it has been 1,624 days since I bought the car, and I feel the need to get my hands dirty. Talked it over with my wife and she knows how hard I work and life is meant to be lived so I have her approval to to an upgrade to an LS3. She's a keeper, my wife that is.

First thing was to see if I could get anything for the current 250 engine and the 2spd Powerglide? Once a month a place called "Muscle Car City" has an automotive swap meet. So I drove the two hours up there, put a sign on the windshield "Engine & Tranny 4-Sale $1,200". It seemed to get a little interest but 3hrs into the morning it did not seem that I was going to have any luck, but then to my surprise someone that had walked by it earlier came back to ask about it and while we were talking someone else was waiting to discuses it also. Needless to say a guy named Tommy Lee gave me a $200 deposit for it. He plans to put it into his 1948 Chevy Fleetmaster, his friends thinks he should drop a small block in the Fleetmaster but what he liked about my engine is that it was different, that no one is going to walk up to it and expect to find a dual carb straight six in her. (same thing I experienced).

The following weekend Tommy (pictured) showed up with another $1,000 and helped me pull the engine and tranny out of the Camaro. I should have given him a discount with how much he helped with pulling it.

The first things I did was to pull the driver side fender off so that I could remove the inner and outer heater unit to make room for a Vintage Air system, its been rough here in the Florida Heat with out AC.

Also drained the gas tank and removed as much as I could from the inside.

The following are some of the items that I have already ordered and some that I will be ordering:

GM LS3 430HP Crate Engine
Holley Terminator X Max LS Engine Control Module
Holly EFI Digital Dash
4L65e 4spd Automatic Transmission
Vintage Air SureFit kit
Entropy LS3 Radiator, Dual Fan, Harness
GM Torque Converter 2400-2800
Street Beast Hydraulic Brake Assist
Sniper EFI Fuel Tank System
BMR Subframe Connectors
B&M Mega Shifter
Holley Long Tube Header - Stainless
Holley LS RETRO-FIT OIL PAN
Holley Motor Mounts and Clamshells
Holley Transmission Cross-member
Holey Accessory Drive Complete Kit

Let the Fun Begin

Also subscribe to my YouTube Channel below, I'll be uploading a lot of videos of the whole process.
130fe, DT and dhutton like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My YouTube LS3 Engine Swap Page

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My LS3 Engine Swap Thread

Last edited by 69-Pace; Apr 22nd, 19 at 07:10 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 140 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 19, 06:18 AM
Senior Tech
Don

Re: A Backyard Mechanics Guide to an LS3 Swap

Nice parts selection. Only thing I would do different is the stock shifter with a Shiftworks modification. I prefer the stock appearing shifter.

And get the BIM-01-2 for the gauges to interface directly to the ECM. So clean and easy.

Don
130fe likes this.

1969 Camaro LSA 6L90E AME subframe and IRS
1969 Camaro vert LS3 4L65E Ridetech level 2 - sold
1959 El Camino project
1969 Mustang Sportsroof project

1956 Cameo project - C5 drivetrain
1957 Buick Caballero project
post #3 of 140 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 19, 06:52 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Steven

I had a set of the BMR subframe connectors and they wouldnt fit at all

69 Frost Green Camaro
LS3 with TSP stage 3 cam
Tremec TKO 600
Moser 12 bolt rear with ford ends 3.73:1 Eaton tru trac differential
Speedtech pro touring subframe
Ridetech rear 4-Link

Follow my journey here:

post #4 of 140 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 19, 07:06 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Bobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhutton View Post
get the BIM-01-2 for the gauges to interface directly to the ECM. So clean and easy.

Don
Thanks for the heads up, was not aware of the component.
post #5 of 140 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 19, 07:09 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Bobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by stamatisg1977 View Post
I had a set of the BMR subframe connectors and they wouldn't fit at all
Well, they are being delivered Monday so I will give them a try and see if I can get them installed? Only a test fit though because will need the full weight of the engine and everything else before final install.

post #6 of 140 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 19, 07:40 AM
John

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixty8Camaro View Post
Thanks for the heads up, was not aware of the component.
There are some issues with the BIM module not being fully compatible and capable of working all the gauges with some harnesses. Would not give OP and Speedo with a GMPP harness.

I would also use the shift works set up instead of the BM

66 Chevelle Protour LS3/525(SOLD AT Mecum 2018)
69 SS396 Cortez Silver(SOLD)
69 Z28(Sold)
69 Pro Tour - LS3/T56
(SOLD)
69 Pro Tour - LS7/T56 (SOLD)

69 Z28/RS Tribute355/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 RS Clone 427/TH400 (SOLD)
67 RSZZ502/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 Camaro 406 SBC/TH400 (SOLD)
post #7 of 140 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 19, 08:24 AM
Senior Tech
Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vega$69 View Post
There are some issues with the BIM module not being fully compatible and capable of working all the gauges with some harnesses. Would not give OP and Speedo with a GMPP harness.

I would also use the shift works set up instead of the BM
Used the BIM several times without issue. Got all gauges working with GMPP harness and ECM. You will not get OP on an LS1 harness/ECM because it is not on the bus but that is not the case here. LS3 GMPP should be good to go.

Don
130fe likes this.

1959 El Camino project

post #8 of 140 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 19, 08:30 AM
T.C.

Quote:
Why Not?

BMR SUSPENSION

My Camaro

Our 67-69 suspension on Two Guys Garage:

813-986-9302 Phone
TC
post #9 of 140 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 19, 10:14 AM
John

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhutton View Post
Used the BIM several times without issue. Got all gauges working with GMPP harness and ECM. You will not get OP on an LS1 harness/ECM because it is not on the bus but that is not the case here. LS3 GMPP should be good to go.

Don
Where they Dakota digital gauges ? I had 2 LS3s with GMPP harness and they both would not get full gauge function with the BIM module.

Several calls to tech support throughout the process and they confirmed it was a known issue.

Got everything working of course but not all through the module

69 Z28(Sold)
69 Pro Tour - LS3/T56
(SOLD)

post #10 of 140 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 19, 11:33 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Steven

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMR Suspension View Post
Quote:
Why Not?
It was too narrow would not slip over the end of the subframe

69 Frost Green Camaro
LS3 with TSP stage 3 cam
Tremec TKO 600
Moser 12 bolt rear with ford ends 3.73:1 Eaton tru trac differential
Speedtech pro touring subframe
Ridetech rear 4-Link

Follow my journey here:

post #11 of 140 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 19, 12:35 PM
Senior Tech
Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vega$69 View Post
Where they Dakota digital gauges ? I had 2 LS3s with GMPP harness and they both would not get full gauge function with the BIM module.

Several calls to tech support throughout the process and they confirmed it was a known issue.

Got everything working of course but not all through the module
Yep VHX gauges. Did you have anything else hanging on the bus like a code scanner etc?

Don

1959 El Camino project

post #12 of 140 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 19, 01:28 PM
John

Garage

VHX

Nothing else hanging it.

Chris 130 FTE experienced the same problem on 68

69 Z28(Sold)
69 Pro Tour - LS3/T56
(SOLD)

post #13 of 140 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 19, 03:31 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Bobby

Sounds like I have some research ahead of me on Dakota digital gauges,

post #14 of 140 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 19, 03:35 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Bobby

Here is tonight progress, dropped the gas tank out. It nice to see virgin sheet metal that has not seen the light of day in over 50 years.

Last edited by 69-Pace; Apr 23rd, 19 at 02:18 PM. Reason: fixed photo links
post #15 of 140 (permalink) Old Apr 20th, 19, 05:56 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Chris

Only problem I had was with the speedo reading. Oil pressure works great off of the BIM. Just make sure you have “bus” selected for gauge input instead of “normal” in the DD programming menu for those inputs. I had to reprogram the rear gear setting in the tube and it works awesome now. Thanks to Jeff (workn24/7) and Bryce (Shyster) for their help in getting it fixed. If you run an GM auto or T56 super magnum it isn’t an issue, Only with other trans like LS T56 or Tko trans with a different VSS reluctor tooth count.

The GMPP harness is good for an auto because of the ability to plug the TCM into the bulkhead plug in the GMPP harness. I think if I did it over I wouldn’t necessarily use it in an manual trans car.

The DD BIM module works great and you can also read other parameters from the PCM in the gauge LED display.
dhutton and Vega$69 like this.

Chris
1968 Camaro SS coupe, Lemans Blue/medium blue interior
LS3/T56 Ridetech Suspension
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode